Dans 1.4 LX

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dans 1.4 LX
Nice to see your sticking with this, looking forward to more updates! Should be a good little first car when its all done, keep going Smile
Thanks given by:
(13-04-2016, 12:57 PM)7057sam Wrote: Nice to see a local member

Be decent car once them bits are done.

i wouldnt quite go that far mate!
Thanks given by:
(13-04-2016, 01:15 PM)Eeyore Wrote:
(13-04-2016, 12:57 PM)7057sam Wrote: Nice to see a local member

Be decent car once them bits are done.

i wouldnt quite go that far mate!
This car is gonna be a beast, it's managed to run with that head gasket for ages! It's gonna be decent!

Also a quick update. Took the head to Seager's, in Ipswich and they skimmed it to take off the corrosion mainly, he reckoned they only skimmed .15mm, also said it was slightly out of line but hardly worth noting. Which means I can get any gasket to replace the one in pieces and he's going to sort that for me and he recommended I get new bolts, which he'll do aswell for Friday! Also replaced a plug as well. All that for around £100 I reckon. So it could be fixed this weekend!

I'll order the 2 drive belts from ecp, along with some gasket sealant, if anyone has any recommendations for sealant that'd be appreciated!!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Quick update that Dan hasnt put on. We went over to see russian guy in cambridge the other night and picked up a set of really good condition cyclones with some alright tyres. One was bald but he gave Dan a new toyo to replace it with and a full set of the correct bolts. All for £90! Theres slight bubbling around one bolt hole but apart from that theyre mint. Im quite jealous myself!

[Image: 7e3ec961-f7db-4b1f-9eb7-d439ef7d7f9a_zps3b9u2zxz.jpg]
[Image: Wheels2_zpshxopsqah.jpg]
[Image: Wheels3_zpsjwo9pyjd.jpg]

The car was currently running two steelies and two 206 gti alloys just to have a set of legal tyres. New tyres would have been about £200 all round so getting a set of decent alloys with usable tyres means not only can the car go back on the road once its fixed but also he has saved a shed load of monies!
Thanks given by:
Cheers Sam! Yeah shoved them on today!

[Image: 1b6107c68d61a7197e438c91ab1177ef.jpg]

Not a great photo but gives an idea.

Tom and I also got the head back with new bolts and head gasket. Put it all back together except the cambelt/tensioner and water pump were completely different so put the the originals back on. We connected the brake lines and bled all the brakes which feel a lot better now there's some fluid. Exhaust box went back on as well.

Car then started after a few little hitches, and fixed a rattle. The exhaust manifold area was leaking so tightened the nuts and ended up shearing the stud... Fun times! Think we need to pivot the exhaust and undo the bolt/nut underneath.

Need to find a new radiator cap, along with: new cambelt/water pump, stud, new manifold gasket potentially and then the car should be ready!!

Thanks given by:
Cars fixed! No hunting, no exhaust fumes from the front but had to bodge it with exhaust paste after tightening it with the new stud didn't work and moving the exhaust into a better position. See how long that lasts... Cambelt, water pump and the 2 auxiliary belts fitted and tensioned up. Had a little problem with it idling for a while buts that's fixed now, we just reset it and its now not hunting as much and idling properly.

Flushed it out a little with water and a dishwasher tablet but needs more so I'll do that once it's on the road. But everything checks out. Except the dash. The dash is from a 1.8 and I know the oil temp won't work but everything else should but it's reading a little low. When the coolant temp was true 80 it was reading 70ish on the dial, and when the revs were true 850 it was reading around 700-750. Bit strange... Any thoughts?

New rad cap fitted as well which has a seal and will do for now, least it holds the pressure.

Serviced it as well. New sparks, fuel filter, air filter, oil filter after draining the old Brown oil.

Now ready for the MOT which should be happening Tuesday!

[Image: e3f39bb12801f919fe72d016e5fcdad0.jpg]

Thanks given by:
Had a spare few and cleaned this up after it being thick with oil and gunk inside and coated in rust. Come up quite nice.
[Image: 490f8c2de1669293c1e596df22bfd0d3.jpg]

[Image: 50c0bb3a63a37c835b50abf097532c5a.jpg]

[Image: 31a9d3bb3b580ca553d95f72422c4630.jpg]

Thanks given by:
(17-03-2016, 06:51 PM)Eeyore Wrote: So... I severely doubt he will get £120 for a scrap 1.4. I would say he will get £40 but im sure others will chip in with their estimates soon.

Youve got 3 options...

1) you take the money and run like hell and get one with decent paint and a good engine and beam... probably about £700 and then youve got the cost of seeing the car and taking out your tax and insurance again...

2) you can offer him the 120 and then pay the 450 for it to be fixed... in which case you have a working but lacquer peely 1.4 for £570 which isnt bad.

3) wait for him to realise he wont get £120 scrap... say he gets offered £40... offer him £50 then do the work for £450 and youve saved £70 over option 2.

to be honest either options will work... its your first car... its not going to be great and i know youve got a budget. You dont want to annoy the seller... but you could suggest that you match the scrap value...

what does everyone else think?

i'd take options 2 or 3.
btw, mine (W-reg) has peely lacquer, but that's something i'll lokk at in my summer hols.
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Aye, that's what I did, managed to get it for 200. I'll post some pictures up later showing how bad the lacquer peel is... It's pretty much everywhere. Roof is the worst so thinking of vinyl wrapping it but haven't decided. Probs will try and get, new bumpers, bonnet and boot...

Thanks given by:
If you need any parts let me know have a blue phase 3 306 1.4 lx, car is sound and engine is mint but gearbox has gone and have a dturbo S now so don't wanna put any money into the 1.4, but your project is looking good and it's nice to see another 306 being saved instead of scraping it

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(29-04-2016, 08:23 AM)james.board Wrote: If you need any parts let me know have a blue phase 3 306 1.4 lx, car is sound and engine is mint but gearbox has gone and have a dturbo S now so don't wanna put any money into the 1.4, but your project is looking good and it's nice to see another 306 being saved instead of scraping it

Ah sweet man! I may do. It passed it's MOT yesterday! But still got a few small things to sort out. Cheers

Thanks given by:
It's cool glad to hear it passed

Thanks given by:
(27-04-2016, 08:04 AM)HunGr Wrote: Aye, that's what I did, managed to get it for 200. I'll post some pictures up later showing how bad the lacquer peel is... It's pretty much everywhere. Roof is the worst so thinking of vinyl wrapping it but haven't decided. Probs will try and get, new bumpers, bonnet and boot...

ever thought about resprating it yourself? (not too hard, I know)
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
(29-04-2016, 11:02 AM)Magenta Sunset Wrote:
(27-04-2016, 08:04 AM)HunGr Wrote: Aye, that's what I did, managed to get it for 200. I'll post some pictures up later showing how bad the lacquer peel is... It's pretty much everywhere. Roof is the worst so thinking of vinyl wrapping it but haven't decided. Probs will try and get, new bumpers, bonnet and boot...

I have considered it and am not afraid of doing it, since nothing can be much worse than it is now [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY] in which case I might aswell respray the whole car but getting spray-cans to respray the whole car(except the doors) will become quite expensive. I have a compressor and spray gun, would just need to buy the filter. But I don't know anyone who can sell me the amount of paint I would need(unless anyone else does? Smile ). AFAIK I can only buy it in small cans since I won't be licensed and I reach the same problem since its gonna be expensive. But then again taking it to a shop is going to be a lot more... So I don't really know what to do...

Thanks given by:
I wouldnt worry about lacquer peel (my diablo hdi has terrible paint) just concentrate on getting it mechanically sound. That HG is epic, ive seen my fair share of TU HG fails but that takes the cake!!

Keep at it lads, it looks 100x better already.
Thanks given by:
(29-04-2016, 12:09 PM)thododd Wrote: I wouldnt worry about lacquer peel (my diablo hdi has terrible paint) just concentrate on getting it mechanically sound. That HG is epic, ive seen my fair share of TU HG fails but that takes the cake!!

Keep at it lads, it looks 100x better already.
Well see, depending on money situ I might self spray it for the experience. Already decided the head gasket's gonna be framed Smile

Thanks given by:
epic little read.. nice to see someone actually save a 306 rather than simply condemning it to the scrap heap like so many before..

unfortunately as has been said on this forum 306's are currently in that lull where they are dirt cheap and not worth keeping so get scrapped regularly, similar to what happened with 205s which are now fetching some serious coin..

I am assuming a can of "instant head gasket repair" just wouldn't cut the mustard! lol
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(29-04-2016, 12:49 PM)toseland Wrote: epic little read.. nice to see someone actually save a 306 rather than simply condemning it to the scrap heap like so many before..

unfortunately as has been said on this forum 306's are currently in that lull where they are dirt cheap and not worth keeping so get scrapped regularly, similar to what happened with 205s which are now fetching some serious coin..

I am assuming a can of "instant head gasket repair" just wouldn't cut the mustard! lol
Have to give many thanks to Tom and Sam tho for lending me a hand with this little whip. And the state of the HG sure surprised us hahaha. I'll post some pics later of the lacquer peel just to give an idea...

Thanks given by:
(29-04-2016, 11:34 AM)HunGr Wrote:
(29-04-2016, 11:02 AM)Magenta Sunset Wrote:

I have considered it and am not afraid of doing it, since nothing can be much worse than it is now [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY] in which case I might aswell respray the whole car but getting spray-cans to respray the whole car(except the doors) will become quite expensive. I have a compressor and spray gun, would just need to buy the filter. But I don't know anyone who can sell me the amount of paint I would need(unless anyone else does? Smile ). AFAIK I can only buy it in small cans since I won't be licensed and I reach the same problem since its gonna be expensive. But then again taking it to a shop is going to be a lot more... So I don't really know what to do...

try yell.com for your nearest body shop/paint suppliers. (I've used MDC or Oxford Paint Services in the past)
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
(29-04-2016, 03:01 PM)Magenta Sunset Wrote:
(29-04-2016, 11:34 AM)HunGr Wrote:
(29-04-2016, 11:02 AM)Magenta Sunset Wrote:

try yell.com for your nearest body shop/paint suppliers. (I've used MDC or Oxford Paint Services in the past)
Cheers boss, will do! And this is why... Sam suggested vinyl wrapping the roof for practice for us both. Could look good. But depends on whether I end up having the money to spray it.
[Image: 5b9db126d48368dd1967b77aafaa83c0.jpg]

[Image: 7b8e5fde413cbd8c5d3d8d2c3a5e5c23.jpg]

[Image: abb5c42b195bbe061b891dd3e95b3825.jpg]

[Image: 49f8b2d6da9e5d9abef64d21f4586edf.jpg]

[Image: 12e2afe57826da762e264eab9f172714.jpg]

Thanks given by:
Whatever you do when you wrap buff out the edges of that or it will stand out like a sore thumb in the wrap.

Give it a good claybar and tcut too to get any impuraties off the paint as well
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by: