Cambelt

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cambelt
Can anyone give some advice about doing a cambelt and water pump on the floor? How easy is it to.get all covers off and stuff? Is it all accessible from the top or bottom?

Thanks
Thanks given by:
It's not too bad, main issue is clearance to the inner wing. There's a bolt or two down the back of the top cover that are hidden, you'll need to move the coolant pipe that goes over them (can't remember if that's just on cars with the egr cooler, don't think so...). Moving the engine up and down on the jack as required makes life easier.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Did mine last week. Gates kit 65 quid on eBay. I was lucky with the bolt on the back of the timing cover. The last person must have left it off. Took me all day and was the first one I've done but I would do it again. Wasn't difficult
Thanks given by:
Only issues I had was getting crank bolt of. To which I looked on YouTube and used the trick with the starter motor. Seemed a bit aggressive but I was on my own and it worked. Also day after belt whined like a turbo noise. After much googling I realised I'd done it up too tight. Luckily the tensioner is accessible with just the top cover off so just took me an hour to slacken it slightly and the noise went completely. All part of the learning process I guess.
Thanks given by:
how the bloody hell did you get the top cam belt cover off??? I have this joy to come before this summer.
Thanks given by:
There's 3 bolts. One is the 10 mm on the top. There is a hard to reach one at the back. And the other is actually a water pump bolt that holds it on its 11mm and you can get at it taking the wheel off and arch liner. Then it's a case of just pull upwards. I did knock the brake fluid reservoir off losing some fluid when pulling it off. You can also see a tab on it at the front that goes under a lip but I got by just pushing it past it.
Thanks given by:
May I...

https://youtu.be/uFEyBus9Hxw

Its a 206 but same engine and you have bit more room tbh due to engine bay design Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Drop the engine forward off it's mount and the cover slides out easily enough. I thought there was a fourth bolt on that top cover by the engine mount too, not 100% though.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Found all the bolts etc that hold the cover on, bit concerned about breaking the cover, will it lift off if the master cyl is un nut 'd from the servo and gently moved to one side via the "twang" or "play" with the brake pipes ( ie, no brake pipes undone or disconnected ) for a good belt inspection/ adjustment??
Thanks given by:
I unbolted the master cylinder and moved out the way but found it didn't help all that much. As other poster says it's all easier with engine mount off and jacking engine forward but when I was just adjusting tension I didn't want to go through all the hassle. I had it on and off about 4 times messing with the tension and didn't break it. I left the back bolt off so it's just got the 2 on it now if I ever need to check it. Are you just taking it off to have a look ?
Thanks given by:
That's the idea for now, just to inspect and get over the fear of breaking the cover. 

I did partly remove the cover, all bolts out ( there was one missing ) and moved as best as possible to view the belt, but just could not get the cover off, but would like to remove completely for a jolly good inspection. 

Not everything in place yet for a belt/w/pump/idler/adj pulley change but will have to be done before summer.
Thanks given by:
Yeah once you've pulled it off a few times it's easier. My old belt looked in good nick till I put it up against the new belt. It must have stretched as the teeth didn't match up. Honestly the hardest part is getting those damn covers off. And put them back in the right order. That top rear cover is the hardest though. The others are a doddle after you've got that off. Also sticking the timing bolts in to lock the engine took me a while too but I'd find it easy now I've done it once.
Thanks given by:
cool, thanks, just a "dads taxis" to do satday am, then shopping trip to refill shelves, then cover off sunday and a good look/see. its time to bite the bullet.
Thanks given by:
Yeah just pick a nice day when you do it all. I thought 4 hours but took me 7. I spent 2 hours though trying to get a new aux drive belt on. It just wouldn't fit. Till I realised there are 2 adjusters on it. A spring one and also a manual one. There was a lot of swearing at it lol
Thanks given by:
yep, gunna be starter motor off when i do it, to find that pesky hole!
Thanks given by:
Starter motor really easy to get off luckily. To manoeuvre the pin in I put the front wheel on and put it in 5th then you can just turn the wheel back and forth slightly to get it in.
Thanks given by: