Gti-6 coil pack change, help please

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gti-6 coil pack change, help please
Shocked 
Hi guys

Im going to try save myself some money and do a relatively simple job myself! Well I think its simple, ive no shame in the fact that ive always paid people to do work on my 6 so its right... well a little bit of shame.. Ok Quite a lot, but yeah im new to this and would really appreciate any advice, dos and donts and if possible a guide Smile to doing it right first time. Im getting the coils tomorrow ( pencil not cassette type) and ive got the tools and enthusiasm just 0 skills. 

Cant find videos of a 6 coil change only standard 306.

Any advice would be great thanks

Diablo red ph 3 99 plate '6
Thanks given by:
There are probably no videos as it's so simple! Smile

Remove the plastic cover bolts and lift off cover
Unplug the electric plugs from each coil
Remove the 2 bolts from the coil, pull it out (at this point might as well fit new spark plugs if you have some) push new coil in, refit bolts
Re-plug electric connector
Refit plastic cover and bolts

Do make sure everythings tight. Don't over-tighten anything. Wink
Thanks given by:
You need torx and Allen key bits. Not much space under the master cylinder - I never replace that bolt as it annoys me.
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by: GtiJimmy
(16-02-2016, 09:12 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Thanks so much mate and yeah youre right I realise now its pretty easy ha but glad I asked, do I need to disconnect that battery though? And also if I changed the sparks 5 months ago is it likely the coil going might have shorted the plug there too?

cheers for the help mate

There are probably no videos as it's so simple! Smile

Remove the 2 bolts from the coil, pull it out (at this point might as well fit new spark plugs if you have some) push new coil in, refit bolts

Do make sure everythings tight.  Don't over-tighten anything. Wink

(17-02-2016, 12:17 AM)adam b Wrote: You need torx and Allen key bits. Not much space under the master cylinder -  I never replace that bolt as it annoys me.
Yeah got the tools thanks mate
Thanks given by:
Managed to swap out all the coils for some Bremi ones from ECP, shes turning over nicely now, great stuff. While i was doing things i changed out the k and n air filter for another one and my god it was black! its Drenched in oil, so cleared up the excess and put a fresh one in, cant be assed to clean the old one. Just doing an oil change before the second hand cat turns up next fri and i consider attempting to do it myself. Tho may just pay a guy. Any thoughts on how tough it is? Doesnt seem too complicated at first glance
Thanks given by:
(16-02-2016, 09:12 PM)Toms306 Wrote: There are probably no videos as it's so simple! Smile

Do make sure everythings tight.  Don't over-tighten anything. Wink
[quote pid='576979' dateline='1455657123']

Thanks Tom, i changed them all over abd the engine turns over beautifully now, only prob was the stripped allen bolt on the last coil that the last peugeot mech blatantly left and knew i couldnt do anything about- took hours and eventually managed to cut the bolt head in the sides which allowed me to flat head screwdriver it out- 4 hours later. Simple really Smile now about to replace the cat
[/quote]
Thanks given by:
I'm getting confused with all the quotes lol. Confused

Glad you've sorted it! Smile

Changing the cat is easy in theory, but access is awkward and rust can cause problems. I'd rather pay an exhaust place to do it on a ramp with tools for if anything goes wrong if they'll do it cheap enough.
Thanks given by:
(19-02-2016, 07:27 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I'd rather pay an exhaust place to do it on a ramp with tools for if anything goes wrong if they'll do it cheap enough.

Exhaust monkeys are worse then tire monkeys because they have access to fire!
Thanks given by:
its super easy.
Thanks given by:
All as above really and if you get stuck the the forum is the place to be
Thanks given by:
dont atempt the exhaust untill you have a new flange bolt kit/ fire crush washer and clamps, as if you break any your stuffed

car needs to be in the air as its a long reach on your back to the manifold joint round the subframe

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
I hope he's done it in the last 2 months... lol
Thanks given by:
Hmm.....oh!.......oooPs  Blush

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Standalone coil pack Eeyore 60 19,085 16-11-2016, 01:10 PM
Last Post: welshpug
  Is this not a gti6 coil pack? underground375 4 1,315 02-05-2014, 08:57 AM
Last Post: underground375