gearstick wobble

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gearstick wobble
picked up my first 306 on saturday off of td163 the cars really clean but theres a few things that need seeing too.

first the gearstick wobbles, only in 2nd and 4th can i see it happen its rather violent so im thinking engine mount? 

just thought I'd ask here first thanks
Thanks given by:
probably yes, get in the engine bay with a pry bay and see what moves . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(15-02-2016, 06:01 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: probably yes, get in the engine bay with a pry bay and see what moves  . .Smile

thats the spirit Big Grin
Thanks given by:
If it only happens under load then failing inner CV joints can cause this as well
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Usually a sign of bottom engine mount needing replacing.
Thanks given by:
(15-02-2016, 06:57 PM)powerandtorque Wrote: If it only happens under load then failing inner CV joints can cause this as well

It's quite hard to tell really if it's bumpy it does it all the time, if it's a smooth surface tends to be most noticeable when I come off the throttle and use the engine tow.

(16-02-2016, 09:58 AM)DeeTurbo Wrote: Usually a sign of bottom engine mount needing replacing.

Few people have said the same. Is it hard to get at?
Thanks given by:
I like to take the whole thing off which means drive shaft out but it can be done on the car. Nial has done a guide.
Thanks given by:
So you're the one that snapped it up so quick! I replaced all my engine mounts and mine still does it in second under hard acceleration :/

Off topic but don't suppose you wanna sell those headlight protectors Wink?
Thanks given by:
Hi mate, just wanted to let you know just in case you hadnt seen in the service history both driveshafts were replaced when the clutch was done in Nov last year. It did the vibration before and after Smile
Thanks given by:
Don't the gearsticks always wobble on 306s? It's hardly a refined cabin! Guess it depends how bad it's wobbling though.

If the gear links weren't replaced when the clutch was done they're probably failing by now, solid links are cheap and make the shift feel nicer.
Thanks given by:
(16-02-2016, 10:35 PM)dhdcdarchy Wrote: So you're the one that snapped it up so quick! I replaced all my engine mounts and mine still does it in second under hard acceleration :/

funny enough was looking at them earlier, I dont like them too much although I know they serve a purpose.

pm me

(16-02-2016, 10:40 PM)td163 Wrote: Hi mate, just wanted to let you know just in case you hadnt seen in the service history both driveshafts were replaced when the clutch was done in Nov last year. It did the vibration before and after Smile

Yeah i read some threads and driveshafts were mentioned, but I saw they were done.

I'll jack it up when I have time its too low to just stick my head under Big Grin

(16-02-2016, 10:44 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Don't the gearsticks always wobble on 306s?  It's hardly a refined cabin!  Guess it depends how bad it's wobbling though.

If the gear links weren't replaced when the clutch was done they're probably failing by now, solid links are cheap and make the shift feel nicer.

yet to even lift the bonnet and have a look just thought I'd see what the common culprites were first

it wiggles about 1" front to back on uneven ground and big de-acceleration, never pops out of gear though looks a little odd thats all
Thanks given by:
If it still wobbles after doing the mounts, chock the top engine mount, found mine gave a lot of movement till if was chocked.

Also could be a cracked cradle
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
(17-02-2016, 08:06 PM)doski Wrote:
(16-02-2016, 10:35 PM)dhdcdarchy Wrote: So you're the one that snapped it up so quick! I replaced all my engine mounts and mine still does it in second under hard acceleration :/

funny enough was looking at them earlier, I dont like them too much although I know they serve a purpose.

pm me

(16-02-2016, 10:40 PM)td163 Wrote: Hi mate, just wanted to let you know just in case you hadnt seen in the service history both driveshafts were replaced when the clutch was done in Nov last year. It did the vibration before and after Smile

Yeah i read some threads and driveshafts were mentioned, but I saw they were done.

I'll jack it up when I have time its too low to just stick my head under Big Grin

(16-02-2016, 10:44 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Don't the gearsticks always wobble on 306s?  It's hardly a refined cabin!  Guess it depends how bad it's wobbling though.

yet to even lift the bonnet and have a look just thought I'd see what the common culprites were first

it wiggles about 1" front to back on uneven ground and big de-acceleration, never pops out of gear though looks a little odd thats all

I had some headlight protectors but someone snapped one of mine while it was parked in a public car park overnight :/. I've recently bought some brand new black masks and wanna keep them protected Itwasntme 

I was thinking linkages in mine but it only wobbles in 2nd gear under hard acceleration and all the other gears engage nicely, there's no real slop which made me think otherwise.
Thanks given by:
Mine does, it's the engine rocking back and forward under torque, Mine wobbles, I will get around to chocking the top mount sometime
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Strange wobble? underground375 6 1,656 17-02-2014, 11:28 AM
Last Post: underground375