Heater matrix broken.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heater matrix broken.
Okay, so. I had a few problems where my passenger footwell was filling up with water and k seal worked for a month or 2 and then my car started making a screeching sound from the dash when I had my air con/heating on. Then the fans started turning them self off. Now it won't work at all. I turned the heating on full. Changed the temp, the direction etc. Nothing. 

So my little pilch is broken :Sadwhat can I do? 

My dad told me it sounds like it's a f*cked heating system basically :/ 

Help?!!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[Image: 2hq9i7o.jpg]
Thanks given by:
fit a new matrix and blower motor, you'll probably find a melted relay in the fusebox too.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by: Pipsqueakaboo
How very helpful of your dad.... yeh the heating doesnt work.... ah it must be f*cked then!

yes it will be the heatermatrix. There will be water either in the fan from the matrix or the outside world. It usually fills up with leaves and things anyway so unsurprising that water gets in there. must be a fair bit to make it stop all together.

For the matrix you need to get the right one. If your car has AC i believe its the behr matrix you need. Its a full dash out job. Mega money at the dealer or probably about £100 from the likes of KrisB etc.

Once its fitted make sure you are running a decent amount of coolant in your engine. Just water is sure to kill the matrix off in no time at all.

If youre going to attempt it yourself be careful removing the heater matrix pipes on the engine side. They are very brittle and difficult to get hold of! Tbh i wouldnt bother to attempt it myself again if i had other people to do it quicker. Its probably an 8 hour job if you dont know what youre doing. Maybe 3 from start to finish if you do know.
I think you have two seperate issues here. The heater matrix will not leak through the blower fan but the fans are all starting to pack up now. Bearings go in them and eventually they just die. You can get a second hand unit from ebay or a scrappy dirt cheap and its about a 10 minute job to replace.
With regards to the matrix, Kseal wasn't the best of ideas. It doesn't do your cooling system much good at all. I would suggest replacement ASAP. Its not a difficult job but its long winded. The dash has to virtually come out completely, drain coolant system, clean out heater box (if matrix has been leaking for a while) and replace matrix. You can have the whole lot done in 3 hours if you're competent with a screwdriver but if its the first time you have tackled a job like this, give your self 2 days mostly just so you can take your time. Theres lots of little screws/nuts etc hidden here and there which need to come out before the dash can come forwards.I highly recommend a Haynes manual for this. Normally i would say they are shite but it shows you where all the fixings are so does help.

Alternatively i'm sure there is a member on here who would be happy to help.
With both the fan and matrix, they are different depending on if you have AC or not. Theres only 2 types so you cant go wrong really. For a decent matrix i would expect to pay £50-60 although it may be cheaper/more expensive now. its been years since i've done one.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks guys! I'm just useless lol. I have no idea where to look at what everything mentioned looks like!! EEEEK!! And I have my driving test next month so I hope I can get it sorted before then!!
Thanks given by:
I managed to sort it!! Myself too! Wooooo!! Big Grin

Well. I say sort it, it's a loose connection under the dash in the passenger footwell bit. Nudged it a few times and the fans are working. Big Grin been working ever since Big Grin
Thanks given by: