My gti

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My gti
thought as nearly finished rather than a long project thread here’s my gti that was brought as a shell around 4 months ago to build back up into a fun little track toy 

Hoping to get it out on track soon

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Wow, that looks awesome.

What tracks have you got in mind?
Thanks given by:
2nd picture, looks like a tractor lightswitch and horn button. Out of a Case/IH?

10/10 for using one.

Looks like the car is ready for some track time
Thanks given by:
it does look a bit industrial can’t remember where it was from but was in a box of bits in my toolbox could well be agricultural does all lights and horn on a simple switch which is nice, the wiring loom is built from scratch to be as simple as pos

Would like to do a selection really only ever driven Abingdon airfield, combe and Mallory in my last 205 so only done a few so very novice still but certainly got the bug. Being oxford way the closest is Silverstone but can’t be paying those prices.

Would love to get to the likes of brands and donnigton etc
Thanks given by:
There are a few that might be going to Bedford airfield next month.

Would you be interested?
Thanks given by:
I don’t think Bedford would be any good I’ve always avoided it even though it’s local due to the horror stories of people being black flagged for noise and with the bodies it is fairly loud - I am planning on a enclosed airbox setup to lower induction noise though as want to visit as many places as pos
Thanks given by:
Looks like a fun build. Are the wheels green or gold? love the speedo Tongue
Thanks given by:
They are actually bronze - ordered 8 in anthracite direct fit from them direct but was a huge backlog they had these again direct fit from a cancelled order so got them for a bargain they were on my white 205 originally

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Looks very tidy for a track car! Very nice wheel colour as well.
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Thanks wheel colour was more luck than anything I ordered 8 in black direct fit, I rang the hem after 8 weeks as promised 8 week lead time and they hadn’t done them. They had 8 in bronze from s cancelled order at a reduced price so eneded up taking the cheaper option - glad I did in the end
Thanks given by:
Hi Blandy,
Love your toy, excited to see your toy in action. Do you have some video uploaded on you-tube? May I have the link?
Thanks given by:
Ive got this from my last trip out at castle combe.

https://youtu.be/gYMbUnBX9ZU

Still very much a novice but the car does give confidence allthough does need a new wheel bearing as found out on the day
Thanks given by:
Hi Blandy, really nice looking track car you've made from your 306. Can i ask what you thought was the one biggest weight reduction stripping it down, excluding the windows?
Thanks given by:
It all adds up allthough certainly not as light as could be as still all standard panels.

I didn’t really pay that much attention as started with a bare shell this time. The wiring was very time consuming but does save a fair bit as I built my loom from scratch so only bare minimum is in as pulled heater etc out also which is a fair bit of weight. Most of what I’ve done is try to keep things simple and tidy hence the wiring etc.

Still making little changes as I go though
Thanks given by:
(28-07-2018, 05:02 PM)Blandy Wrote: It all adds up allthough certainly not as light as could be as still all standard panels.

I didn’t really pay that much attention as started with a bare shell this time. The wiring was very time consuming but does save a fair bit as I built my loom from scratch so only bare minimum is in as pulled heater etc out also which is a fair bit of weight. Most of what I’ve done is try to keep things simple and tidy hence the wiring etc.

Still making little changes as I go though

I thought I had ripped out half the car when i pulled the rear seats out  Rofl

.....but they felt sooo light that it didnt feel worthwhile Smile
Thanks given by:
All or nothing really allthough mine is a track car only so don’t need to compromise for the road which makes it easier
Thanks given by: