Hi from Ireland

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi from Ireland
I only recently became properly aware of the good qualities of the Pug XUD lump - I'd known it was a good one, but it didn't really register with me how good until I looked more closely at it and realised it was almost tailor-made for my plan involving my old Scimitar.
I've been toying with the idea of dieselising the Scim for years, and was looking seriously at the TDCI lump out of a Tranny or Mondeo, but was put off by the sheer nut-ache of wresting with the security system and platefuls of spaghetti just to get one running. I'm well-versed in electrics, but really can't be arsed with inflicting that on myself, so when I realised the Pug lump could produce decent power and wasn't drive-by-wire, with no PATS or other crap attached, it seemed to fit the bill nicely.
I've seen chairchild's 2.1 XUD Scim, and thought it looked good in there, but...

Only thing is - I have had previous aversion therapy on French cars and grew to thorougly dislike slanted engines of any type (not forgetting the Hillman Imp, either), so I'm looking at mounting a XUD 1.9 upright and jiggering the sump and pick-up pipe to suit. This gets around the cramped space on the driver's side issue, where the turbo would be, and if / when I had to work on the turbo it would simply be easier to get at.

Life would be simple if everything fell my way, of course Smile

How upright is the 306 1.9? Are any of the 1.9s upright?
Thanks given by:
No none of the 1.9s are straights up. No XU style engines are they are designed to run cantered over. Even if you moves the oil pickup position etc everything else would be wring and under different forces. Sorry to break it to you. Saw the 2.1 that was made never saw it running though.

Also welcome
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by: PugInScim
(02-02-2016, 09:58 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: No none of the 1.9s are straights up. No XU style engines are they are designed to run cantered over. Even if you moves the oil pickup position etc everything else would be wring and under different forces. Sorry to break it to you. Saw the 2.1 that was made never saw it running though.

Also welcome

Thanks for the info.
I wondered if there were any gotchas - I came across a post where a guy bought a boat with two XUDs that had been marinised and uprighted. One camshaft busted after 40 hours running, iirc. It might have been faulty oil pickup if the installer had bodged the sump inadequately, of course, but who knows.
There's a vid of the 2.1 Scim firing up - I haven't found any later ones of it on the road.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlG1x0rvF6c
Thanks given by:
You could always jig ldv mounts in there as the pilot run a 1.9. Then use ldv box, however you'll want a better clutch with that setup. I'm sure I read somewhere about a sharan clutch from vw fits the ldv flywheel and has correct splines etc but don't quote me on that. I'm sorry I cant be of more help to you. There are many crazy projects going on here so someone is bound to know something else to help you. Smile
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
(02-02-2016, 10:34 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: You could always jig ldv mounts in there as the pilot run a 1.9. Then use ldv box, however you'll want a better clutch with that setup. I'm sure I read somewhere about a sharan clutch from vw fits the ldv flywheel and has correct splines etc but don't quote me on that. I'm sorry I cant be of more help to you. There are many crazy projects going on here so someone is bound to know something else to help you. Smile

Yeah; I'm now putting cash aside to start amassing the bits as and when they come up - some prices are a bit off the wall, but there are bargains around if I'm not in a hurry. Of course, it would be perfect if I could use the old Scim box - might be a heavy old lump, but it's strong and reliable enough. A custom bellhousing would cost much more than simply using the LDV Pilot box though and afaik, there were no Ford applications / crossovers of the Pug pattern.
Looks like LDV engine mounts and gearbox are in my future Smile
Thanks given by:
We have a pilot at work that's going to scrap. But we are miles away lol. They do come up quite often and can get them fairly cheap to be fair.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hi from Ireland eiei0 2 1,445 23-07-2020, 06:16 AM
Last Post: sewabusmedium
  Hello from ireland AOR 2 1,574 31-12-2015, 12:28 AM
Last Post: 7057sam
  Many Members in Ireland?? pugolliek 41 12,204 26-02-2015, 12:42 PM
Last Post: Owen_G_