Am I in the right place?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I in the right place?
Question 
Hey all, fellow 306 driver here. My beloved 306 1.4 Meridian seems to have a problem. The last couple of days, when coasting - a very loud rattle is emanating, seemingly from right underneath the car.

As said, the rattle only occurs when coasting - and can be felt through the gear stick.

My first thought, with very limited car knowledge, was that this was a gearbox related problem. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Thanks given by:
It does sound like faulty diff bearings in the gearbox... Quite a common problem on the 1.4, I had it happen twice! I'd remove the drain plug on the gearbox and see if it's full of metal filings.
Thanks given by:
Not as simple as exhaust fouling on the gearstick is it? Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(04-02-2016, 09:55 AM)Toms306 Wrote: It does sound like faulty diff bearings in the gearbox...  Quite a common problem on the 1.4, I had it happen twice!  I'd remove the drain plug on the gearbox and see if it's full of metal filings.

Thanks for the reply Tom, I'll take a look after work. Is this expensive to get fixed?

(04-02-2016, 10:13 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: Not as simple as exhaust fouling on the gearstick is it? Smile

Thanks for the suggestion Matt! The car has fairly recently had a new central...pipe thing installed for the exhaust.
Thanks given by:
Well if you've had a new centre pipe that's a good place to check lol!

If it is the gearbox, they cost about £50 used, about £150 labour if you're not doing it yourself. Also worth changing the clutch at the same time.
Thanks given by:
Okidoke, thanks for the help guys - much appreciated. Will post again once I've got an update!
Thanks given by:
To echo Tom's experience, I also had the diff bearings fail on my 1.4 twice...though I was so good at crashing it into things, that I ended up scrapping it before the second lot completely gave up. Fingers crossed it's something simple for you though, if you've recently had the centre section of exhaust changed, I'd at least give that a quick check before assuming it is the gearbox. Smile
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
yeh check the exhaust. When the engine acceleerates it should twist backwards which will move the exhaust away from the stick. When costing it will go back to its original position. Does it rattle when idling and youre not driving anywhere?
Thanks given by: