Very stiff throttle HDI

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Very stiff throttle HDI
As in the title the throttle in my 306 hdi is extremely stiff. It is harder pushed than the clutch infact, it has been like this ever since I bought the car. Any ideas?
Thanks given by:
Unclip the cable from the TPS in the engine bay. Does the TPS turn easily and does the throttle cable move freely?

Certainly not right that it's harder than the clutch!
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
(26-01-2016, 12:34 PM)powerandtorque Wrote: Unclip the cable from the TPS in the engine bay.  Does the TPS turn easily and does the throttle cable move freely?

Certainly not right that it's harder than the clutch!

The TPS turns easily I will unclip the cable later and see if it also moves freely. I know it isn't right I've had a HDI before and it wasn't like this lol. Its literally twice as hard to push as the clutch I would say. I have been driving it like this for months so have got used to it although it would be nice to fix lol.
Thanks given by:
Have you had a new clutch? Surprised you can even push the throttle if its twice as heavy as a usual 306 clutch lol!

The tps's do get stiff over time, sounds like its more likely to be the cable in your case though, have fun changing that! Confused
Thanks given by:
The cable will most likely be worn now but it'll be the way the cable is routed that would have caused the issue.
Thanks given by:
(26-01-2016, 01:02 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Have you had a new clutch?  Surprised you can even push the throttle if its twice as heavy as a usual 306 clutch lol!

The tps's do get stiff over time, sounds like its more likely to be the cable in your case though, have fun changing that! Confused

The pedal is literally like pushing my foot against a brick wall it doesn't feel as if its moving. Its either on or its off lol

(26-01-2016, 01:06 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: The cable will most likely be worn now but it'll be the way the cable is routed that would have caused the issue.

So a new cable is in order then?
Thanks given by:
check for kinks in the cable route
Thanks given by:
Yep new cable is needed. You could reroute it to allow for a larger curves but as the plastic liner the inner slides through is worn allowing the metal cable to rub against the metal part of the outer.
Thanks given by: boggs
(26-01-2016, 02:11 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: Yep new cable is needed. You could reroute it to allow for a larger curves but as the plastic liner the inner slides through is worn allowing the metal cable to rub against the metal part of the outer.

Thanks a lot will do
Thanks given by:
lucky dude, do the lottery, cos if the cable and tps refused to return to idle.....I dread to think!
Thanks given by:
(26-01-2016, 03:40 PM)pug306driver Wrote: lucky dude, do the lottery, cos if the cable and tps refused to return to idle.....I dread to think!

I have lifted off before and its stuck once its been for less than a second it done it, and between gears you hear it hold the rev slightly the odd time.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stiff throttle pedal LewisG 5 1,840 13-03-2014, 06:33 AM
Last Post: Poodle
  Aux belt tensioner stiff mattgreene 1 828 23-01-2014, 08:27 PM
Last Post: Toms306