No power in 1st or 2nd

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No power in 1st or 2nd
As in title my hdi is gutless in 1st and 2nd gear, when I get to 3rd gear theres a significant difference in power and pull. I have had hdis before so I know this feeling is not normal. I have unplugged the maf sensor and the egr and theres still no difference? I think the car could be remapped so I'm thinking it could be down to a bad map?
Thanks given by:
clutch switch an issue on these? no idea..

a bad map would be noticeable all through the rev range in all gears.. it would either be weak in all or strong in all, and have the same characteristics (ie if nothin happened from 1000-2750rpm then it took off like a scared rabbit in first, it would happen in second, third too etc. )
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
You do know there is control for each gear in the mapping Smile
Thanks given by:
(24-01-2016, 11:33 PM)HDi--Power Wrote: You do know there is control for each gear in the mapping Smile

As above, each gear (V/N ratio - calculated by road speed vs engine speed with a validity window) has it's own torque limiter - set higher than the main limit as stock on 90s, seen some other PSA EDC15C2 variants with it used though...

But I seriously doubt anyone has pissed with them tbh...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(25-01-2016, 12:01 AM)Ruan Wrote:
(24-01-2016, 11:33 PM)HDi--Power Wrote: You do know there is control for each gear in the mapping Smile

As above, each gear (V/N ratio - calculated by road speed vs engine speed with a validity window) has it's own torque limiter - set higher than the main limit as stock on 90s, seen some other PSA EDC15C2 variants with it used though...

Well that explains why my Passat has shit all power in 1st! Probably torque limiting to prevent wheel spin. That and it's a Passat...
Current Car: Lexus CT200h 1.8 138, 2013, 19,500 miles
Previous Car: VW Passat 2.0 TDi 140, 2005, 136,000 miles
Previous Car: Peugeot 306 XLdt (stock!), 150,000 miles (I miss this car Sad)
Thanks given by:
Torque limiting to prevent killing your clutch more likely... Plus it probably has ESP which kills torque and won't let you wheel spin anyway lol.
Thanks given by:
Yeah even with ESP off it still lacks. Could be turbo lag though. And with ESP on it still wheel spins if there is enough of a greasy road surface!
Current Car: Lexus CT200h 1.8 138, 2013, 19,500 miles
Previous Car: VW Passat 2.0 TDi 140, 2005, 136,000 miles
Previous Car: Peugeot 306 XLdt (stock!), 150,000 miles (I miss this car Sad)
Thanks given by:
Ah ok, shouldn't be turbo lag with a VNT tbh. It will be limited to avoid damage though, mainly to the clutch as the DMF should avoid damage to the gearbox.
Thanks given by:
(25-01-2016, 12:01 AM)Ruan Wrote:

So even though you can change the torque limiter of each gear you say its very unlikely someone has done this? So a bad map would not be the case?

Thanks
Thanks given by:
If you have the ability to, put it back on the standard map - is the power consistent through each gear or does it have the same problem
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(25-01-2016, 02:36 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: If you have the ability to, put it back on the standard map - is the power consistent through each gear or does it have the same problem

I don't have the standard map :/ I just bought the car like this.. The power is consistent through every gear 3rd on.. Before 3rd it is gutless it revs but has no pull.. I am not totally sure if the car has been remapped but it goes very well and is smokey.. It has a boost gauge fitted that is tapped into the inlet elbow that reads 14-15psi, I know this is standard boost but since its tapped into the inlet elbow it could of dropped a psi?
Thanks given by:
(25-01-2016, 12:12 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Torque limiting to prevent killing your clutch more likely...  Plus it probably has ESP which kills torque and won't let you wheel spin anyway lol.

Why would it limit it in 1st/2nd to not kill your clutch Wink You'd want that in higher gears to prevent clutch raping. Seen some with limitation when the clutch is depressed to stop you putting full torque through a depressed/slipping clutch though.

It's partially wheelyspins prevention and also to make the engine feel less breathless lower gears, otherwise you get a huge surge of torque then it goes breathless past 3500rpm. If the torque doesn't drop hugely, it persuades you to rev the engine harder, feeling like the engine isn't horribly weak at high RPM...

You tend to feel changes in torque, rather than horsepower, so when diesels produce all their torque at 2k and from thereon are only ever reducing in torque, they feel like they're getting weaker at higher RPMs, really they're not, they're pulling just as hard, but if an engine produced 150hp from 1000-5000rpm, it'd feel like it gets weaker the more you revved it.

[Image: 0mQlENu.jpg]

As you can see, making it's peak power at 3900rpm - but torque is only ever falling from 2k on, but I can assure you it doesn't feel like the peak power is at 4k - in 1st/2nd it sure does though - it seems to want to really rev!

Sorry for the thread hijack - in response to whether anyone has pissed with the gear dependent torque limitation, nah, I doubt anyone has tbh... Need to get diagnostics on it, actually log what's going on... What's your ECU number? (Look on ECU, should be a number starting 0 280 0xx xxx - that's the one)...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by: boggs
Anyone any ideas what this problem could be then?
Thanks given by:
Read the end of my post?
Thanks given by:
(26-01-2016, 12:37 PM)Ruan Wrote: Read the end of my post?

Sorry only seen that there. Thanks I will have a look at the ecu number tomorrow Smile
Thanks given by: