Cold Weather

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cold Weather
Anyone else's HDI run better in cold weather? Must be the colder air going into the engine is more dense. Makes me want to get an intercooler on now haha.
Thanks given by:
Exactly as you say.. Colder air is more dense.. Every car is better lol
Thanks given by:
Yes runs better performance wise, less mpg though as well as being rougher from a start and not as quick to start or warm up though :/ More disadvantages to advantages unfortunately lol
Thanks given by:
Runs better if you can ever get the coolant up to temp anyway... Sad

My MPG is in the 40s now. :cry:
Thanks given by:
Last tank full I got like 49mpg and tbf it feels great to drive. Warming up doesn't take too long after about 2/3 miles I have nice warm air coming in. Which is good enough I suppose Smile
Thanks given by:
Yep, using heaters sucking all the warmth out of the coolant making MPG even worse... lol

I've got an electric heater element in the Focus so the heaters are hot quickly, but it takes an age for the coolant to get up to temp so I'm running on a cold map most of the time...damn these thermally efficient diesels! Dodgy
Thanks given by:
Just got 52mpg in the 306 Tom last tank.... you jealous your DV6 cant get that Wink mainly short journeys but with 100 miles in one day (two 50 mile journeys), so pretty impressed.  Should get another 306 Tom :p lol
Thanks given by:
Tbh I've thought about getting a V8 petrol, probably more efficient than the DV6, would definitely warm up quicker haha... Rolleyes But I've become emotionally attached to the bloody Focus now. Sad

Problem is I only really do slow town journeys where the heater is using heat quicker than the engine can make it, or 'some mph' on the dually with so much airflow and very little load that that doesn't warm it up either. Plus it's not an economical engine in a heavy car, should've been left in the Fiesta where it works well, keep to the 2.0 in the Focus!
Thanks given by:
My 1.3 cdti work van doesn't get above 70'c with the heaters on full blast at the moment
Thanks given by:
Hurray for the quick to heat up K series, up to temp in couple of miles. But put the heaters on and you can watch the need flop back down lol

Tom I imagine you with a V8 petrol would be *turns car on, turns car off, walks to destination, complains about MPG*
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Even turning it on would be a bit fuel heavy tbh... lol
Thanks given by:
Love it. More power. Quick to warm up. Little bit more difficult to start on veg but still starts fine. I do like my xuds.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
I love the way my car sounds ticking over on a cold crisp morning. It sounds like it's idling slower and you can hear each cylinder fire individually.
Thanks given by:
sounds like many fooked thermostats and short journeys on this thread.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
No HDis are just stupidly thermally efficient, mine used to take about 20 minutes of driving to heat up fully, that was with a new, genuine thermostat.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
odd, drove my sisters c5 loads and that warms up in 3 miles
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Took mine 20 mins to warm up tonight Poodle, so nice to know mines as it should be lol
Thanks given by:
I think the C5 has an electric heating element like the 406.
Thanks given by:
perhaps it's them glow-plug thingys
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Perhaps, i installed some good ones in my project car with the intention of testing the theory, unfortunately 18 months on it's yet to leave the drive. lol

A standard car shouldn't take that long tbf, my95, my estate is usually warm in 10 minutes.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
If you are that hung up about mpg that cold weather affects you that badly I think you need to reevaluate your life.

Sell the shitty diesel and buy something that is fun instead. I got 34 out of my track car going to Snetterton on Sunday. I then did a tank of vpower in 142 miles. Hooray!
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by: roland rat
We can't all be as rich as you though, Adam. Tongue
Thanks given by:
Is there any connection poodle between those blanked their EGR and those with struggling temps?

MrsPiggys 206 got up to temp much quicker i rekon before i blanked the egr...its got a water heater too
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I have wondered that myself, lost EGR and EGR cooler (essentially another coolant heater) in my case but can't remember if it was any better last year before that! Confused Pretty sure I wasn't blanking 306 HDi's when I first had them though, in fact probably not until the Moonstone that Tose now owns, and they were still taking forever to heat up back then.
Thanks given by:
Didn't notice any difference when I blanked the EGR, gas only flows when the valve is open so it wont be that hot.
Thanks given by:
The EGR is open most of the time, both at idle and cruise, it's only really fully closed when you're booting it so should make a difference to warm up.
Thanks given by:
It'll be especially noticeable on the ones with the EGR cooler.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Right so out of the interest of science. (not boredom) on the way to work this morning from stone cold I timed my heaters. 3 mins to get warm air (not hot) and 10 mins to get fully up to temp. Bit of everything driving. Mines an xud, no egr, k14, Bosch 9mm and front mount.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Just fit a kenlowe preheater. Warm heaters the second you get in. It's pricey though.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
XUD is an entirely different kettle of fish, the pre-combustion chambers put a lot more heat into the head and therefore the coolant.

I've heard that the egr cooler can make a big difference, but i've yet to test it. I certainly didn't notice much change when i blanked mine, but then it wouldn't have had much gas flow through it anyway being as blocked as it was lol. If you didn't want egr but wanted the heating you could probably replace it with something like a water jacket on the downpipe with a thermostat controlling flow, hell of a lot of work for quicker warm up times though. For now i reckon somebody needs to properly record what happens when they fix their pre-heater circuit. Or when they blank their clean egr.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Warm Weather? JTaylor2005 4 1,823 23-04-2016, 08:25 PM
Last Post: Toms306