Key fob stopped working.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Key fob stopped working.
Need some advice chaps...

My key fob of or the gti6 has stopped working, replaced the batteries and still no good.
my question is where can I source a key fob from for reasonable money and how do I go about programming it?
Thanks in advance
Russ
Thanks given by:
If you've changed the batteries it should work, Stick the key in the ignition and turn it so you get all the dash lights and press and hold the button for about 15 seconds. There's other threads that pop up on how to do it if you google how to reprogram a 306 key. I struggled with mine but it worked in the end.
1.9 diesel Phase 2 - scrapped
1.8 meridian Phase 3 - going strong!
Thanks given by:
It starts the car it's the remote c/l that's not working.
Do you know where I can get a new fob from?
Thanks given by:
This can be reprogrammed afaik! As long as the roof sensor and key fob are both working, try newer new batteries befor committing to a key fob!
Thanks given by:
Lol I've tried batteries! !
It had batteries worked for about a week and then stopped working, I put another set of batteries in and it's still no good. The little red indicator light doesn't light up now so I can only assume it's dead.
I did run it over a few months ago so this make what's done it haha! 😴
SO, back to the original question, does anyone know where I can source a new fob and How I'd go about programming it! [WINKING FACE]
Thanks given by:
Anyone ??
Thanks given by:
Still very much a tyro on these cars and systems, but learning all the time, thanks to this brilliant forum.

All I can suggest ( ours is 2 button remote, new battery fitted and all was well, it just started to work straight away, lucky I guess ) is to have the key fob tested first, check fuses related to the locking system as well, sorry don't know which fuses. At least the car starts and can be used.

Sorry no real help but that's all I know.

The car battery on ours has been disconnected for a while now, just hope it bursts into life when reconnected.

I assume yours has a light or led that shines to communicate with the system, a picture of the unit light when working, will show the led works??

Check related posts on this, sure that's a starting point.
Thanks given by:
I think I might have a spare 2 button key somewhere, I'll have a look tmoz( wrkn today ) and if I find it I can send it to you for a fiver posted!
I'm not sure how to reprogramme it but I do know there's a little black immobiliser chip along with the main fob internal board in these key cases that must be swapped over before you try to start it!
Thanks given by:
As the little red light doesn't shine when pressing the button the contacts on the switch in the fob is probably dirty or there might be a dry joint on one of the connections somewhere board.

Take it a part and take some good photos both sides on the board, there might be something obvious or if you're good with delicate work take the metal casing of the switch that's on the board off and clean the contacts.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horn stopped working scottbmxer 6 2,451 18-08-2013, 01:53 PM
Last Post: Tom
  wipers stopped working - front and rear shelhug 4 2,138 21-04-2013, 01:31 PM
Last Post: shelhug
  Wiper motor stopped working Teddie2003 7 2,410 24-03-2013, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Teddie2003