Switching to Newer Key

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Switching to Newer Key
So the buttons on my key have never worked so had to open the car manually every time (which is an issue when the locks freeze!), and im fancying a newer key such as from a 208/308 or something newer and nicer, how would I go about this? Would it be as simple as taking insides out of my car key and swapping them over an voila?
Thanks
Thanks given by:
Nope, the micro board is shaped to the key! And if or when you open the key up there's a little black chip wedged in one of the corners of the key case that must be transferred with the key blade and chip board in to a similar key shell! Later 208 or 308 key cases will not line up with the buttons on the board!
Might be a daft suggestion but have you tried swapping the batteries in the key for new ones?
Cr2025 iirc x2 pack of 2 energisers in asda for under a fiver and almost always works after changing them! Rofl
Thanks given by:
Done and done.

Takes some careful modding of the new key.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I guess piggy has done this before then! I didn't know it was poss!
Thanks given by:
Nothing like the key "flick" of a new type fob lol
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(13-01-2016, 04:42 PM)Piggy Wrote: Nothing like the key "flick" of a new type fob lol

Might be worth doing a guide on it piggy! Sure as fk most of my keys in recent years have been a bit crap!
Thanks given by:
fit an aftermarket locking kit and you can have any type of key you want
im currently running a flip key on my gti6

and im running a peugeot ish std key on my daily Wink

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
No WAY I'm taking that key apart to show how fiddly the bugger was lmao

Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Wait...you don't have working RCL on your HDi? Think that'd be one of the first things I'd fix!! lol
Thanks given by:
Locks dont freeze if well oiled too bud Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(13-01-2016, 06:12 PM)Piggy Wrote: Locks dont freeze if well oiled too bud Smile

do not oil locks, graphite power or lube is what you need, I speak from working for a locksmith for a couple of years, oil attracts dirt and shit, will clog the mechanism up eventually Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Interesting... Good info.
Always oiled mine with 3in1

Not had a problem yet... But thats worrying!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Don't need to lube locks these days with RCL... Wink

Until the battery dies anyway. lol On the ph3 diablo I had back in 2010 it had one seized lock and one with half a blade stuck in it... That was fun when the RCL stopped working a week after buying it... Dodgy
Thanks given by:
True with 306s... But for instance the 206 petrol cap needs a key... As do some other, dare I say, non frenchies
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(13-01-2016, 06:23 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote:
(13-01-2016, 06:12 PM)Piggy Wrote: Locks dont freeze if well oiled too bud Smile

do not oil locks, graphite power or lube is what you need, I speak from working for a locksmith for a couple of years, oil attracts dirt and shit, will clog the mechanism up eventually Smile

Yeah they recommend you rub a pencil on the key and then insert it into barrel.Doing this a few times should lubricate the lock fine
Thanks given by:
Late 306s have a key as well, as do a lot of earlier 00's stuff... Lot of hassle compared to the EasyFuel on the Focus. Tongue
Thanks given by:
Wow...never knew late 306s had a key fuel cap...never seen one.
The pencil/graphite idea is a good one
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(13-01-2016, 07:22 PM)roland rat Wrote:

Yeah they recommend you rub a pencil on the key and then insert it into barrel.Doing this a few times should lubricate the lock fine

100% true fella, as we all know pencils are graphite and not lead like they were errrrrrr a long time ago Big Grin . . . . .  a pencil is what i use if i don't have any powder to hand, don't get me wrong, oil will free a seized lock but it will clog the mech in the end . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(13-01-2016, 08:02 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote:

100% true fella, as we all know pencils are graphite and not lead like they were errrrrrr a long time ago Big Grin . . . . .  a pencil is what i use if i don't have any powder to hand, don't get me wrong, oil will free a seized lock but it will clog the mech in the end . .Smile

+1 my bro is a locksmith and uses ambersil graphite spray powder! Great stuff for less than the price of 2 new batteries! ;-)
Thanks given by:
(13-01-2016, 07:49 PM)Piggy Wrote: Wow...never knew late 306s had a key fuel cap...never seen one.
The pencil/graphite idea is a good one

Yep, Y reg onwards I believe, I've only ever had one daily with it. I hated it lol, but couldn't just swap it for a standard one as the filler neck is different.
Thanks given by:
(13-01-2016, 08:18 PM)Redordead89 Wrote:

+1 my bro is a locksmith and uses ambersil graphite spray powder! Great stuff for less than the price of 2 new batteries! ;-)

I agree with you, i also have asked locksmith fulham near me about it and they also suggested me to use ambersil graphite spray powder.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  rcl key fob...newer version Piggy 18 3,400 01-03-2014, 05:46 PM
Last Post: Piggy
Rainbow Switching on and off auto wipers Welshy_Pete 2 1,445 30-06-2013, 04:37 PM
Last Post: Welshy_Pete
  Cd player keeps switching its self on Hitchos 9 2,428 18-01-2012, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Hitchos