Broadband shopping about

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Broadband shopping about
So just logged onto mySky and saw we're forking out £40 a month on internet. Wowsers as I thought we were about £26 a month. Turns out the nice introductory period of £5er a month stopped in September and they bumped us up to £20 + line rental + £4 extra for some new call package thing that put us onto when we dont even use the phone

So it's time to shop around. However what I'd really like it to stick with sky but be charged the same as their "new" customers , is a phone call to the customer services team likely to get me that? I hate phone calls and having to try and swindle stuff when it'd be so much easier to say "cut the bullsht and drop my monthly cost"

How bad is talktalk? Alot of people moaned about them when i was looking last but can they really be that bad?

Is the activation fee still chargeable when I already have a working line (in a flat). Can't remember as it was over a year ago i had to deal with this all
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
tell 'em you're thinking of leaving, often tends to bring a better response.
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
I'm also with Sky. That new £4 call package thing is annoying. Plus they raised the line rental by a quid so it's now a £5er more per month for me. May not sound much but I have the free internet and was just paying for line rental last year at £16.60p/m! Confused

Look through Topcashback to see who's giving decent deals for switching, I got something like £80 cash and a £100 M&S voucher from joining Sky.
Thanks given by:
My best mate is with sky and having issues after leaving BT due to issues.

I've been with Virgin since moving here and not had a single issue bar a couple of hours on a couple of days where there has been issues more centrally.
Thanks given by:
Good idea on the topcashback idea! Forgot about them

I wish I could go back to virgin but live in a flat with no chance of getting it Sad
Hopefully moving soon so might wait it out and see if the new place can have virgin

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
After being with Virgin for 6 years we recently changed to EE and halved our bill
Mechanic in the 90's
Chef in the noughties
Now just pissing about with catering
Thanks given by:
TalkTalk recently leaked a ton of customer information and from their response they couldn't give a flying f*ck about their customers - i'd definatley stay away from them.

If you can get fibre then it's well worth it, usually less trouble than ADSL.
Thanks given by:
I get mine discounted thro' work. so I cannot really comment. (alas)
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
(06-01-2016, 08:09 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I'm also with Sky.  That new £4 call package thing is annoying.  Plus they raised the line rental by a quid so it's now a £5er more per month for me.  May not sound much but I have the free internet and was just paying for line rental last year at £16.60p/m! Confused

Turn the calls package off then - if you read the letter it's easy to do and takes about a minute to do online.

I'm with Sky and don't even have a home phone plugged in - the line is purely for broadband - and hence there was no way that I was going to pay for something that I could not possible have used. It was a bit cheeky of them to enable it by default though, particularly when in my case I've literally never made or received a call on the line in the years that I've lived here!
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
The problem with the new package is I used to have free weekends. They removed that and replaced it with free evenings and weekends for £4.

At 10p/m if I call my Aunt (who I'm obliged to call) and let her ramble for 40+ minutes thats £4 in one call. Used to do it at the weekend for free. So either way I'm worse off than before.

An extra quid on the line rental doesnt bother me, but changing my package mid-term does.
Thanks given by:
Ah, that's a bit of pain then Sad
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Pretty sure they shouldn't do that, i should think you could get the cost of the call package back fairly easily. Everyone i know down this way with talk talk has had problems with service, ee are meant to be pretty good and uber cheap.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
So talktalk is still out the picture then. Shame but guess their costs reflect their services lol

Topcashback seems to have £101 cashback for BT broadband which would out weigh the £49 activation fee plus it'd be £10 less than what we pay now. Just to check though as theyve called it "New Customer Solus Broadband" what's solus?

Thanks given by:
(06-01-2016, 08:03 PM)lolsteve Wrote: So just logged onto mySky and saw we're forking out £40 a month on internet. Wowsers as I thought we were about £26 a month. Turns out the nice introductory period of £5er a month stopped in September and they bumped us up to £20 + line rental + £4 extra for some new call package thing that put us onto when we dont even use the phone

So it's time to shop around. However what I'd really like it to stick with sky but be charged the same as their "new" customers , is a phone call to the customer services team likely to get me that? I hate phone calls and having to try and swindle stuff when it'd be so much easier to say "cut the bullsht and drop my monthly cost"

How bad is talktalk? Alot of people moaned about them when i was looking last but can they really be that bad?

Is the activation fee still chargeable when I already have a working line (in a flat). Can't remember as it was over a year ago i had to deal with this all

Talktalk are shit...
the activation fee is still chargeable, doesnt matter as they are still sending an engineer (read: someone at a computer who is employed to do this) to change the lines over
talktalk are shit

stick with sky and make a habit of calling every 6 months or so and whining about leaving.. they will keep you on a perpetual offer of some sort..  i have been paying £20 for sky for the last 3 years or so., my bill with TV rarely goes over £45 even if i make calls
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Broadband Deals? Toms306 10 3,567 20-11-2018, 09:25 AM
Last Post: Eeyore
  Members scrappy shopping list! Redordead89 9 2,032 06-02-2016, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Matt-Rallye
  phone and broadband packages Chris_90 18 2,845 04-09-2014, 04:12 AM
Last Post: Ican