Popular cars vanishing from our roads

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Popular cars vanishing from our roads
http://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/popul...tp#image=2
Thanks given by:
They are just 'old' cars?

Shock horror in older cars no longer being driven, typical MSN...
Thanks given by:
scrappage scheme killed a lot of good motors before their time. Also remember most of those now are pushing 20, 30 and nearly 40 years old now! the metro is 35 years old. sierra will be about the same now if not older. Mine turned 25 this year and the Rover 100 turned 20 this year too.
Thanks given by:
Most of them I was going "thank f*ck!"

Fiat Tipo, Ford Cortina, Vauxhall Belmont, Ford Orion to name a few!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Don't rag on the Tipo man, had for one for a little while and it's futuristic LCD dash was absolutely win, although the 'fuel cells 'did drain fairly rapidly.
Thanks given by:
I used to have a mint Mk2 Cortina 1600E that I had for 3 years and sold in 2006. The irony of ironies is that prices have shot up so much since then that I now couldn't afford to buy my old one back today if I so wished.
Thanks given by:
brother just got a renualt 5 for free up at the farm. yet to see it but its not a turbo so i imagine there pretty gutless (not sure what size engine's they made)
Thanks given by:
Renault 5's are pocket rockets!
Everything from the 1.4 upwards shifts!
Thanks given by:
(29-12-2015, 12:54 AM)Ruan Wrote: Most of them I was going "thank f*ck!"

Fiat Tipo, Ford Cortina, Vauxhall Belmont, Ford Orion to name a few!

(31-12-2015, 01:41 PM)tigerstyle Wrote: Renault 5's are pocket rockets!
Everything from the 1.4 upwards shifts!

My first car was a Mk2 Renault 5 with a 1.4 single point injection OHV engine. For what it was at the time it could shift at some but was noisy as hell. I remember when I got a ZX with OHC engine sometimes thinking it'd conked out at junctions as it was so quiet compared to the 5.
I also ended up buying a Mk1 R5 GTL in 2004 that I intended to turn into a Gordini replica but I had three other cars on the go at the same time and this one kept falling to the bottom of the pile and nothing really got done with it. As it was taking up space I ended up ebaying it and a guy in Hants bought it then relisted it a week later minus it's roof! All he'd wanted it for was a roofskin transplant to delete a nasty 80's aftermarket sunroof on his Sad
Thanks given by:
(31-12-2015, 01:31 PM)Blaze Addict Wrote: I used to have a mint Mk2 Cortina 1600E that I had for 3 years and sold in 2006. The irony of ironies is that prices have shot up so much since then that I now couldn't afford to buy my old one back today if I so wished.

I got offered a tina mk5 estate for £500 quid 11 years ago, I tell you what I wished I had have gone into debt for that, as the money those go for now, I would be well up on the profit! It was in mint condition too!
I may ditch the metro for one, or a land rover defender like my dads.
Thanks given by:
11 years of storage aint cheap (well maybe oop north it is Tongue) not to mention maintenance

I just wish id jumped on the 944s that were well under a grand only a few years ago. not as an investment as such, itd just be nice to have a Porsche for Peugeot money

then again, my AX GTi was worth treble what I paid for it barely 18months into my ownership, shame I bent the damn thing and scrapped it
Thanks given by:
I had a mk1 cortina.. Bought it for 50 because it was rotten about 10 years ago now .. Gave me all the bits for the kit car so i was happy lol
Thanks given by:
(28-12-2015, 03:28 PM)Herby7 Wrote: http://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/popul...tp#image=2

there's a lass down my street driving a Chevette, and my dad still has a Maestro tucked up in his garage (T&T'd)
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
(31-12-2015, 11:28 PM)procta Wrote:
(31-12-2015, 01:31 PM)Blaze Addict Wrote: I used to have a mint Mk2 Cortina 1600E that I had for 3 years and sold in 2006. The irony of ironies is that prices have shot up so much since then that I now couldn't afford to buy my old one back today if I so wished.

I got offered a tina mk5 estate for £500 quid 11 years ago, I tell you what I wished I had have gone into debt for that, as the money those go for now, I would be well up on the profit! It was in mint condition too!
I may ditch the metro for one, or a land rover defender like my dads.

Sounds about right for then. For some reason the estates have never had as much of a fanbase compared to the saloons. When I was into old Fords and doing shows and meets I knew a guy from Southport who was into estates and he bought some real rare models- 2.3 GLS manual, 2.0 S, 1.6LS etc. The so-called S pack was a dealer option with stiffer dampers/sport seats and a few other bits but you could add it on any trim level the most common being the Ghia and GL so the plain S and LS were super rare to start with. Most of the 2.3 V6 (a hateful engine anyway) were auto but manuals did exist and they weren't uncommon it's only now in classicdom that they're harder to find as OE spec- though it's a simple conversion to do with Capri 2.8i bellhousing and box.
Thanks given by:

Both my 306 and the 405 gtx DT! Mostly gone nowadays! The 405 has 300k and is near immaculate inside and out!
Thanks given by:
You really should get a better camera lol!
Thanks given by:
Yeah I know!
Thanks given by:
Be interesting to know what numbers Constitute 'rare' and 'vanishing'. The list seems flawed
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recommended roads? 306'ish? Redordead89 14 4,256 14-08-2015, 12:09 AM
Last Post: Redordead89
  Favourite Roads? THE_Liam 70 14,231 17-06-2014, 10:19 PM
Last Post: cully
  People think our roads are bad... C2K 13 3,301 13-09-2013, 07:00 AM
Last Post: Grant