HDI wont start

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HDI wont start
Wondering if any of you guys could help me!!! I recently bought a 306 was perfectly fine, drove spot on. I parked it up one night and come back to it the day after and just turned over wouldn't even try to fire up... plug it in there's no faults stored so I change fuel filter and the in tank pump and still nothing any ideas?? Thanks
Thanks given by:
Try removing, cleaning and refitting the brown relay behind the ecu in the engine bay!
Remove metal clip, pull red plastic clip and pull the relay up to get it off!
Thanks given by:
(05-01-2016, 11:52 AM)Redordead89 Wrote: Try removing, cleaning and refitting the brown relay behind the ecu in the engine bay!
Okay mate will do thank you
Thanks given by:
Before you do that see if you can hear the lift pump priming on the second click of the key.

If you can it's unlikely to be the brown relay also cleaning the contacts usually isn't the issue as it'll be the sealed to moisture when connected. It's more likely to be the relay its self. £16.50 from here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331622197479?_...EBIDX%3AIT
Thanks given by:
I can hear the pump priming iv got a new relay is it this one?

[Image: 5670bd50ff5d668f5fe17452b5dad933.jpg]
Thanks given by:
That's the one.
Thanks given by:
Nice one! I'll keep you updated if it does if it doesn't work
Thanks given by:
Where are you based?
Thanks given by:
Scunthorpe mate
Thanks given by:
Was the fuel light on when you parked up and was the car on a slant?

It's happened to me a couple of times where I've parked on a steep hill or with the drivers side two wheels on the kerb and the fuel in the tank has gone away from the lift pump so would start. Got the car on the level and it started up with no problems, just something to look out for.
Thanks given by:
Nah mate parked it in a flat garage
Thanks given by:
Replaced the relay today now it thrown this fault up... easy fix?

[Image: 35ae7f7337fafa3b7af5085d15947d61.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Can you now hear the lift pump prime on the second click?
Thanks given by:
Yeah I can hear it priming
Thanks given by:
After changing the filter did you prime the system a couple of times to run all the air out the system?
Thanks given by:
Yeah I did mate. But I'm not sure if the fuel filter housing is leaking because it sounds like air is coming out the top of housing
Thanks given by:
Strange as the air should be flushed out the system after priming and after that if it's leaking it would be fuel seeping out if it isn't sealed right.

On the bottom of the engine block there is a yellow connector is that plugged in ok and is the senor on the rail also connected ok?

I've seen damaged wires on the yellow connector before do they look good on yours?
Thanks given by:
I'll check later on today... and the fuel filter housing is on correctly but it still leaking should just replace it?
Thanks given by:
What filter did you use when you replaced it and did you empty the housing before you placed the new one in?

If you can't get the old housing to seal you'll have to replace it.

Did you replace the large o ring to?
Thanks given by:
Can't remember what filter it was and yeah I did empty to housing and yeah I replace the o ring
Thanks given by:
On that diag tool can you get live data? Just wondering what pressure you're getting at the rail while cranking?
Thanks given by:
I think I can yeah. I'll have a look tonight when I get back from work . What should it be roughly?
Thanks given by:
You should be getting around 300bar, any lower the ecu won't fire the injectors.
Thanks given by:
And if it's lower what could it be?
Thanks given by:
HP pump, regulator, injectors or the pressure sensor its self.

On my estate it would be a bitch to start on colder days. Live data was showing the pressure to take a while to hit 300Bar. I changed the injectors and it was fine after that.

I've got a feeling yours might be pressure sensor related. Let us know tonight what the live data shows or maybe try filming it on your phone?
Thanks given by:
Okay mate will do
Thanks given by:
Any joy?
Thanks given by:
Worth a try but try pressing the fuel cut off. Don't no if that disables the lift pump or what but I remember parking up and mine didn't start so I had to press the cut off and it was fine
Thanks given by:
Yep, that red button will reactivate the pump. In a bump the pump power is cut out but it's worth a try.
Thanks given by:
Finally got round to putting that sensor on but still no joy. Pressed the fuel cut of switch heard a slight click but still nothing... my rev counters moving which it wasn't last time? And more ideas?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HDI wont start jaycc 8 1,634 09-07-2015, 05:11 AM
Last Post: Poodle
  car cut out and wont start tuttyboy84 18 1,814 17-02-2015, 09:41 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  my car wont start :( Chris306 11 3,843 07-07-2014, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Toms306