Decent Low Budget Smart Phone?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Decent Low Budget Smart Phone?
Is hiding from people who arent looking for you really worth not having a phone full of modern features?!?
Thanks given by:
(30-12-2015, 09:44 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote:
(30-12-2015, 09:38 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Lol, if only you knew... Wink lol

you don't need a phone you need a long range CB . . .Big Grin

Nah, anyone can pick that up if they find the right frequency!!

I just need to go underground and stay completely off the radar... ninja

Unless the car breaks down, I'd be f*cked without a phone then! lol

(30-12-2015, 09:49 PM)thododd Wrote: Is hiding from people who arent looking for you really worth not having a phone full of modern features?!?

I'm not being entirely serious now tbf lol...

However I am serious about not leaving location and google stuff on...I don't leave Google signed in on the PC either, they know far too much about us as it is! Sure they're probably not looking for me right now, but if for any reason they decide to in the future I like to leave as little info available as possible...
Thanks given by:
I was hoping you werent being entirely serious.... though couldnt be sure, lets face it, youre a bit wierd about this stuff

I love (some of) the features on my s5, the better-than-tomtom google satnav saves my ass on a regular basis.

My only beef with smartphones is the battery life, but ive come to terms with having to charge it every night
Thanks given by:
I'm a bit weird about most stuff, it's not limited to this. Wink But reading back I think I should probably add paranoia to my list. lol

Back on topic though, charging every night is alright, as long as it lasts a day without worrying about a bit of wifi or a few pics that's fine for me, can't expect the tiny batteries to cope with todays tech (well, unless someone can make a super conductor and we can stop wasting power as heat! Confused ).
Thanks given by:
My samsung does a full day of play ... just.
But Bexs M4 Aqua will easily last twice as long as my s5.... and it has a better camera ... and only costs half as much (both monthly contracts). it still surprises me how far tech moves on in 18 months
Thanks given by:
So I finally found a carphone warehouse with so few staff they couldn't bother me while browsing. Wink Only to find none of the phones I wanted to test on display are actually working...what a pointless display that is, like Currys where you're buying electricals and none of them are plugged in! lol

I did briefly poke around an iPhone 6s or something (sticky from other people poking it Confused ) and didn't really see why it was worth so much! And also a Hawaii something which was again stupidly expensive but was less laggy that my current phone admittedly. Also got to try a Lumia but I still don't like tiles and the camera wasn't good enough for me, wasn't any better than the Wildfires tbh.

I couldn't try the Moto G 3rd Gen but that's what I'm currently drawn to for ~£130 - on paper it has a decent camera, plenty of storage, fast processor, latest Android, large battery and is waterproof. Are there any major bad points about it that I should think about?
Thanks given by:
So I'VE still not bought one as the price went up, then I missed out on some new ones sub £100 on ebay. The other seller I was going to buy from appears to be an arsehole lol...

So its looking like I'll have to buy from cpw but its cheaper to buy with a new sin card and topup than without. But I can't seem to find the price of texts on these payg tarifs, just that for the first month I'll get 990 free more than I'll actually use... But I assume the top up remains after that? So does anyone know what a text costs on ee or o2? Doesn't seem to say anywhere except maybe a pdf that I can't open Confused
Thanks given by:
It's usually 10-15p a text on most PAYG sims.
Thanks given by:
all I can add is that I have a work issued iPhone 4 with dedicated work apps, and a s/h blackberry 85xx (cos it was purple) for personal use.
the iPhone I have to charge twice a day, the blackberry once every couple of days.
also, the iPhone is good with the apps & browsing, but I don't get on with typing on it, I use a Bluetooth keyboard for that, the BB is good for typing but tends to be rubbish for web browsing.
gawd knows what i'll get to replace the BB when it eventually 'dies'.
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
(01-02-2016, 03:18 PM)r3k1355 Wrote: It's usually 10-15p a text on most PAYG sims.

Err, whut? I currently pay 4p per text!! Confused

Also just checked, I sent 6 texts in January lol. 0 minutes obviously. 0 data. Need to try and reduce my usage I think. Wink

(01-02-2016, 05:13 PM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: all I can add is that I have a work issued iPhone 4 with dedicated work apps, and a s/h blackberry 85xx (cos it was purple) for personal use.
the iPhone I have to charge twice a day, the blackberry once every couple of days.
also, the iPhone is good with the apps & browsing, but I don't get on with typing on it, I use a Bluetooth keyboard for that, the BB is good for typing but tends to be rubbish for web browsing.
gawd knows what i'll get to replace the BB when it eventually 'dies'.

Thanks Kathy, I have decided which I'm getting (Moto G 3rd Gen), just trying to find the cheapest deal now. Smile
Thanks given by:
happy hunting Tom ThumbsUp
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Hmm, it seems with the new 'pay as you go'...they're actually all pay monthly 'rolling' contracts and the credit expires each month. Confused

Bit annoying seeing as the phone is £20 cheaper on PAYG than SIM free, but I'd have to add a £10 top up of which I'll use 5-10 texts of that... Still £10 cheaper than SIM free but a waste of a tenner. Dodgy

Surely there must be other people in the same position, I can't imagine old people get through that many minutes and texts in a month.
Thanks given by:
Three PAYG?

321 deal
3p a minute
2p a text
1p a meg
Thanks given by:
(01-02-2016, 09:07 PM)tigerstyle Wrote: Three PAYG?

321 deal
3p a minute
2p a text
1p a meg

I'm on a Three monthly rolling contract and the service/price is great. Think I get all you can eat texts which is pointless as I never text.
As long as it never goes wrong when you have to deal with their dreaded customer services.
Thanks given by:
I'm fine with the current tariff (4p per text, couldn't care what data and minutes cost) but as its cheaper to buy the phone with a jew sim and tenner top up that's what I'll do, had assumed that 10 pound would continue after the months free texts etc expired but it doesn't work like that. So I'll essentially be paying a tenner for like 5 texts, 2 quid a text! Then go back to my current provider after the month is up. It's still a tenner less than sim free for some reason, and a fiver back through TCB as well.
Thanks given by:
Is that the same deal with Giff Gaff, I'm sure they don't take the credit off the phone after your monthly package thing expires.
Thanks given by:
I don't know, the only options I'm given on carphone warehouse are O2, EE or Virgin so that's what I looked into. Confused
Thanks given by:
Giff gaf rolls on I believe, not on it myself, I have a Virgin sim only contract for £6 a month lol, can't believe people still use PAYG anymore, it's for smackheads Big Grin
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
It's for tight people with no social skills. Wink Tongue
Thanks given by:
three credit doesn't expire, well 12 months or something?
Thanks given by:
But the options are O2 or EE lol... Tongue

Pretty sure TalkMobile credit doesn't expire either, I topped up £10 in March last year and still have £4 left, thought I must've topped up since but it seems not. lol
Thanks given by:
I put a tenner on an O2 sim about 6 or 9 months ago and it's still working if thats any help?
Thanks given by:
Was that part of a 'bundle' or is it on an old tariff? Think I might have to ask someone in the shop seeing as it's so complicated online. Confused
Thanks given by:
I have no idea, I think I just did it online.
Thanks given by:
my father is on O2 payg,
he's got about 15-20 quid credit from last year.
so long as he makes a few phone calls (every 6-months (?) ) he keeps his number.
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Feels a bit like one of those triangles where you can only pick two...

Decent
Smart phone
Low Budget
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Considering he only gets through a couple of quid credit anyway you only need one of the triangle anyways.
Thanks given by:
If you only send 5 texts a month having any deal with texts seems pointless to me. If I ever run out of credit and need to send the odd text I've used this site for years http://www.cbfsms.com/ theres no signup or login required so sounds like something that you may use?
Then just go for a data only package?
Thanks given by:
You guys are making this more complicated than it already is... lol Doesn't help that I suck at explaining things tbf. Tongue

The phone has been chosen. My current tariff is fine.

The phone is cheaper to buy with either an O2 or EE SIM than with no SIM at all so makes sense to buy with a SIM. I wanted to know which SIM would last longest on £10 before reverting to current SIM. It seems irrelevant now though as both only last 30 days, after which it'll get binned for my original, despite not using much of the 'bundle' that comes with all PAYG SIMs these days. So it turns out it doesn't matter which SIM it comes with. Wink

Also, the fact I don't use the phone as a phone, doesn't mean I won't need a decent one, I'm essentially after a camera, with internet surfing and a calculator that fits in my pocket. The fact it makes phone calls is largely irrelevant. lol As I say, have chosen one now anyway. Smile
Thanks given by:
personally, i'd go for O2, coverage is better. (my other fone is ee)
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  'smart fone' options Magenta Sunset 21 3,905 01-02-2017, 04:30 AM
Last Post: Dave
  £200 Budget Bucket Seat silverzx 31 14,142 30-07-2015, 12:28 PM
Last Post: Nathan1305
  Smart HDTV Advice silverzx 20 4,104 22-07-2015, 09:30 PM
Last Post: r3k1355