Uprated MAF Sensor?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uprated MAF Sensor?
I have heard that the MAF sensor on these cars tops out when the car has been tuned. That meaning that it can't be relied on to calculate the fuel efficiently. Have I heard this correctly and if so would it be possible to fit a maf from a different car and have it mapped in to keep the MPG and smoke under much better control? 

What do you reckon? Thanks
Jack
Thanks given by:
Steve at HDi-tuning has mapped in the larger maf from the 2.2HDi for my car, uses the same plug connection.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
afaik electrically the larger maf is the same, I ran a 90 hp maf on a 110 just fine.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
I believe they're calibrated differently, need confirmation from a mapper really.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yeah I have messaged pro-steve. I got 54.58mpg recently with a big mix of driving. Wondering if 60mpg would be possible from a tank with a few clever modifications Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Should be possible, used to get that from mine when i could be bothered to drive economically.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(20-12-2015, 05:03 PM)welshpug Wrote: afaik electrically the larger maf is the same, I ran a 90 hp maf on a 110 just fine.

Late 110/2.2 HDi ones are 750kg/h, totally different calibration. The 90hp ones found on 306s are 577kg/h.

At stage one you're probably not that close to the end of the sensors range for most of the time, it's only when you get far in the pedal that you run off the end of the sensor, but you're wanting a crap load of fuel anyway...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
ahh fair enough, I've worked on early 110's.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Well I was thinking if mine has hazy smoke now. With an intercooler fitted, boost controller, a better maf, and then a low stage 2 map like 140hp ish then theoretically it should be a very clean efficient burn then. Not much smoke and making use of all of the fuel Smile
Thanks given by:
(21-12-2015, 10:08 AM)JTaylor2005 Wrote: Well I was thinking if mine has hazy smoke now. With an intercooler fitted, boost controller, a better maf, and then a low stage 2 map like 140hp ish then theoretically it should be a very clean efficient burn then. Not much smoke and making use of all of the fuel Smile

Going to a stage 2 with 2.2 sensor and it burning clean won't necessarily give better MPG - at anything under about 80% throttle you'll be within the MAF sensor's working range - if you're smoking at full pedal, you're consuming a crapload of fuel anyhu... This is why nobody worries too much most of the time when you're off the end of the MAF sensor's working range - since for the vast majority of the time where you need the feedback to control smoke output, you're within it's range - the rest of the time, as long as the engine isn't broken/air filter clogged, there's more than enough airflow through the engine to support the injection quantity specified at a decent AFR.

Upgrading to the 2.2 sensor should give you the capability to make it near as dammit smokeless the whole time - any smoke that does occur is usually from overly retarded end of injection.

WRT the sensors themselves - the late 110/2.2 sensor is a physically bigger housing - so easily distinguishable. Also is used on the 2.0 16v 110hp HDi (RHW, RHM, RHT) engine as used in the 807, C8 and some vans.

Siemens part number for the larger late 110/2.2 750kg/h sensor is: 5WK9628

Siemens part number for the 90hp 577kg/h sensor is: 5WK9623
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(21-12-2015, 10:08 AM)JTaylor2005 Wrote: Well I was thinking if mine has hazy smoke now. With an intercooler fitted, boost controller, a better maf, and then a low stage 2 map like 140hp ish then theoretically it should be a very clean efficient burn then. Not much smoke and making use of all of the fuel Smile

mine smokes like a bitch,  and i am running the std MAF,  

the reason mine smokes however is the injection characteristics,   its a long lighter flow rather than a short heavy one which is necessitated by the amount of fuel i am injecting and standard pump and rail sensor..   

i still get upwards of 55mpg if i drive like a saint and do a long run every now and again..

i got 63mpg out of it with shell optimax and motorway driving in some shocking weather (rain and nastyness for 220miles)..  did cardiff to liverpool,  then liverpool to preston and back twice, 4 up, then liverpool to cardiff on one tank...   700miles nearly total with a little town driving.
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Interesting read, 

So for future information, would a later 2.2 MAF work on a map designed for the stock MAF or would the map have to be adjusted to understand the new readings in the same way the 1800bar rail sensor needs to be mapped in? 

Also what sort of air flow does a 2.0 HDI peek at say 1.5 bar @ 3000rpm in terms of how close it is to the sensor limit or if its over it?

Thanks
Thanks given by:
it would work but not well, the calibration would be out and it would need to be programmed in..
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(21-12-2015, 09:47 PM)toseland Wrote: it would work but not well,  the calibration would be out and it would need to be programmed in..

That is what I was thinking, good to know for when i come to getting by build mapped, another thing to add to the list Smile
Thanks given by: