Which cams?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which cams?
Evening all just a quick question - the new 6 is going in for engine rebuild just after Christmas, which cams would give it a bit more punch? SC is what I'm aiming for about March time. Thanks
Thanks given by:
wow. your car looks very similar to grants old one! Im not clued up about cams but also interested to know. As far as I know ther eis only one set that you can fit with standard pistons otherwise you need to get the piston machined so that it doesnt hit the valve. Issue is that the pistons sit flush with the hear of the block when fully up so there is very little room for extra lift in the standard setup.

What exactly are they rebuilding on the engine?
Thanks given by: Xsikid
(21-12-2015, 05:13 PM)Eeyore Wrote: wow. your car looks very similar to grants old one! Im not clued up about cams but also interested to know. As far as I know ther eis only one set that you can fit with standard pistons otherwise you need to get the piston machined so that it doesnt hit the valve. Issue is that the pistons sit flush with the hear of the block when fully up so there is very little room for extra lift in the standard setup.

What exactly are they rebuilding on the engine?

It's done 107000 now so my bro in law is going to put fresh bearings/seals, piston rings etc so when it gets SC it will be as good as new . So is it better for longer duration cams rather than high lift?
Thanks given by:
you dont want to be changing the cams if your supercharging to much over lap!
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
(21-12-2015, 06:48 PM)Stef205 Wrote: you dont want to be changing the cams if your supercharging to much over lap!

Ok thank you is there any mods that can be done to improve the engine ready for the SC?
Thanks given by:
Not really know. Now you need to think of power you're after. If its low boost, just build a healthy standard engine (maybe with a lightened fly). If you want any more than probably 270ish bhp, i would look at forged pistons and rods.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
(21-12-2015, 07:18 PM)Niall Wrote: Not really know. Now you need to think of power you're after. If its low boost, just build a healthy standard engine (maybe with a lightened fly). If you want any more than probably 270ish bhp, i would look at forged pistons and rods.

Am going low boost so just want a decent fresh engine , any preference on which flywheel and also will a new standard clutch be up to the job? :-)
Thanks given by:
Standard valeo clutch will be up to the job if you look after it yeah.
Flywheel i think nearly all the lightened ones are made by a company called TTV or something similar?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
(21-12-2015, 07:34 PM)Niall Wrote: Standard valeo clutch will be up to the job if you look after it yeah.
Flywheel i think nearly all the lightened ones are made by a company called TTV or something similar?

Ok thank you demon tweeks sell the ttv so I will get that ordered and new clutch kit
Thanks given by:
Think Rich Walker sells the TTV flywheels cheaper than anyone else so it might be better to speak to him.
Thanks given by:
(21-12-2015, 08:10 PM)luke306rallye Wrote: Think Rich Walker sells the TTV flywheels cheaper than anyone else so it might be better to speak to him.

Agh sweet mate thank you
Thanks given by:
You'll be lucky to hone the block for new rings, these engine's wear bores very quickly
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
2016 Castle Combe GT championship class winner
Thanks given by:
(22-12-2015, 12:02 AM)miles Wrote: You'll be lucky to hone the block for new rings, these engine's wear bores very quickly

Ok so maybe need to bore the block out ? Thanks
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  S16 cams Dan Baines 89 4 1,562 25-03-2016, 10:00 PM
Last Post: miles
  Cams!!?? Beany58 46 8,626 05-02-2016, 03:22 PM
Last Post: fatlapit
  Uprated Cams - BHP Gains? 9Freedman9 41 8,440 10-01-2014, 03:06 PM
Last Post: THE_Liam