Soft brakes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soft brakes
So ever since replacing the vacuum pump my brakes are really spongey, they are sharp and stop well but can push the pedal to the floor if I push reasonably hard, any ideas what can cause that just from replacing the pump?
Thanks given by:
Got a leak somewhere.. Or slave/master is bust i think.

Or alot of air, but they wouldnt stop good then lol
Thanks given by:
Not used to assisted brakes? lol
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Are you're sure it's bled up properly? Pump the pedal a few times with the engine idling and hold the pedal down, if it's creeping down to the floor, there's most likely air in the system.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
I'd agree with Poodle and Jonny here. Probably just not used to how they should be.
Like Jonny says, if you pump them up and it creeps to the floor, you have a leak. If not, it's fine really. If it really worries you that much you can try bleeding them again
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Yeah it's just strange how it was fine before the pump went and now it's spongey when the pump was replaced. I'm not too worried as they are sharper than they ever have been :SmileI'll give it a bleed at some point
Thanks given by:
my 1.8 brakes were spongey too. I never did get to the bottom of why they were so crap. It made driving on the roads pretty bad tbh but on track they seemed to be fine :/
Thanks given by:
If with the engine running and the pedal creeps down to the floor, then there is a fluid leak somewhere, check all pipes, unions, pistons etc, as well as the master cylinder to the servo area. If no leak found, get an assistant to press the brake pedal for you sand watch the fluid level in the master cylinder res.

When pumped it will go down slightly, but watch to see if it rises as the pedal falls or goes to the floor, suggesting an "internal" master cyl leak.
Thanks given by:
Sometimes you just don't quite manage to get all the air out and once you've driven around a bit a re-bleed gets the rest out.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Yeah I think a good re-bleed is needed
Thanks given by:
dont meen to repeat what has already been said, but with the engine off, if the pedals still feel the same, then bleeding is required. it is a safety mechanism built into these things that if a something goes wrong mechanically, as long as there is fluid in the system, you can still exert pressure on the pads. albeit human pressure, not amped up Smile . My point is soft brakes are 90% of the time due to air in the system. the other 10% of the time its aging pipe work Smile (just the experiences i've had in the past)

Tony.
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be!

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  soft rear suspension rd070707 5 1,780 11-10-2012, 08:09 AM
Last Post: rd070707
  Torsion bar too soft Slam Wagon 11 2,084 19-09-2012, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Pompey306mark