Hand brake cables

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hand brake cables
Hi,

How do you get the hand brake cable out the caliper without damaging it?

I tried using a drift with a club hammer and it didn't move one bit.

I was trying to replace the caliper but the cables fine. I've left the cable in the caliper and used a new cable now but how do you get it out for future reference?
Thanks given by:
You can't really get old ones out without some damage. Drift/punch is the only way but something inevitably gets damaged, should've been able to get it out like that though. Had you not pulled the inner cable out first?
Thanks given by:
I had no problems with mine, sprayed with wd40 night before, and knocked them through
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Yours might have been replaced in the past. I've only had issues on my hatchback where I couldn't get them out and last time I had to snip the nipple off pull the inner out, then drill the pressed housing out the caliper.

The estate were very easy and so were the ones on the calipers of the spare beams I've bulit.

Tom, what do you mean? The nipples are fixed at both end so you can't pull the cable out without cutting them off. I did pull it so the nipple was against the housing and was smacking that as last time when I was hitting the house all that was happening was the housing was getting damaged.

When I say housing I mean the collar of the outer that is pressed in to the caliper.
Thanks given by: PugRory
If you don't need the old cables, cut them and get some pliers on the nipple and rag hell out of it haha! failing that, I drilled mine out, time consuming and hard to get an angle on it and you have to be careful not to drill through the caliper.
1.9 diesel Phase 2 - scrapped
1.8 meridian Phase 3 - going strong!
Thanks given by:
I was hope to save the cable as it was good but I think I'll just drill it out like last time.
Thanks given by:
(02-12-2015, 09:15 AM)DeeTurbo Wrote: Yours might have been replaced in the past. I've only had issues on my hatchback where I couldn't get them out and last time I had to snip the nipple off pull the inner out, then drill the pressed housing out the caliper.

The estate were very easy and so were the ones on the calipers of the spare beams I've bulit.

Tom, what do you mean? The nipples are fixed at both end so you can't pull the cable out without cutting them off. I did pull it so the nipple was against the housing and was smacking that as last time when I was hitting the house all that was happening was the housing was getting damaged.

When I say housing I mean the collar of the outer that is pressed in to the caliper.

You've over complicated that lol, I just meant removed the small end from the arm to take tension out of the outer sheath but you have anyway.

They do usually take a good whack to come out but I've not failed to remove one yet. Never had to drill one anyway. If you're trying to save it maybe not giving it enough force?
Thanks given by:
In the end after deciding I was replacing the cable I did give it a few massive hits with the drift and 4 lb club hammer. No movement.
Thanks given by:
Fair enough then, maybe use a bit of copper grease on the new one in case you ever want to remove that carefully!
Thanks given by:
Are the ends of the cable outer tapered??  soak in lub overnight, grip the end of the outer cable, the bit that fits into the outer cable "stop", and turn.....?

probably much easier to say than do, as I have not done tis job, yet!
Thanks given by:
It's got a tapper but spines to so I don't think you can twist it out. I would have tried heat but it would ruined the rubber on the caliper and cable also I didn't have the blow torch with me.
Thanks given by:
use a socket over it.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Now that's a good idea, why didn't I think of that.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HDi handbrake cables procta 15 2,732 17-06-2015, 08:40 AM
Last Post: kentiiboii
  hdi clutch cables procta 5 1,590 19-11-2013, 04:56 PM
Last Post: Alan_M
  Handbrake Cables bigcheez2k3 11 4,080 13-10-2012, 11:18 PM
Last Post: bigcheez2k3