Blue smoke

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue smoke
Working on the ph1 dturbo i have noticed that when it startes there is a puff of blue smoke, not white. but is fine on idle. Until revved again and then kicks out some more blue smoke.

Bought the car cheap, has been off road for a year, although i know the guy drove it about half a mile to work every so often. iChecked the dipstick and there seems that the car has been overfilled by about 5mm.

When driving the car the blue smoke isn't noticeable. And it doesn't overheat. Drives as normal (according to emma, i never drove it)

The car is running on a lucus pump and kkk turbo, and there does seem to be an oil leek from the sump. Havn't got a clue about the history of the car apart from its had an engine change in its life time from a ph2.

What could be the cause for it to burn oil/blue?

Thanks for any help.
[Image: 306oc_zpsf2d249a4.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Fozzy Wrote:iChecked the dipstick
Checking your oil levels?

There's an app for that!

Haha as for the smoke issue. The startup would suggest stem seals but giving it a rev maybe the piston rings. If its not scraping all the oil back? Dunno
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I would change the turbo
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Yeah there's and app for everything Big Grin

What do you mean scraping the oil back. Is sounds like the easy option is to drop another engine in it if its either of them. Bollox.

Anything else simple it could be?

Edit: If its turbo burning the oil, does that mean seals are shot, i think ive seen a turbo up for sale quite cheap on the site somewhere
Thanks given by:
might just be over filled, engines have a max on the dipstick for a reason. id give it a service, put the right amount back in, then go from there
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
The turbo won't burn oil, you get part burnt oil if the turbo seals blow which is white smoke (incomplete combustion!). Unless its the intake side thats gone....but thats easy to check by taking off the lowest intake pipe and seeing if its full of oil.

Chances are its just over filled, drain and refill it and go from there. Smile
Thanks given by:
Toms306 Wrote:The turbo won't burn oil, you get part burnt oil if the turbo seals blow which is white smoke (incomplete combustion!).

Not entirely true tom. My turbo went and it was very blue smoke
My exhaust that was filled with oil burned blue for a while after replacing turbo
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
4WayDiablo Wrote:
Toms306 Wrote:The turbo won't burn oil, you get part burnt oil if the turbo seals blow which is white smoke (incomplete combustion!).

Not entirely true tom. My turbo went and it was very blue smoke
My exhaust that was filled with oil burned blue for a while after replacing turbo

See the edit. Wink

Your exhaust would have had to get bloody hot to properly burn that oil........I'd imagine it was coming from somewhere other than there tbh.
Thanks given by:
To cause damage to these engines you need to seriously overfill them, im talking like double what you normally put in them, 5mm is like a piss in the sea. Could be either your turbo or your stem seals as many people have said. Take off your intake pipe onto IC and rev it, see if it chucks any splats of oil out, that will tell you if its compressor side of turbo. After running it like that (with intake pipe off for like 10 mins) stop the car and leave it overnight. Start it the next day and if it smokes from the word go it will be your stem seals. If not then its only burning oil when your exhaust mani/exhaust gets upto temp and leaking oil from the hotside of the turbo. Thats how I would go about checking it anyway.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ok thanks everyone, got lots to go on now. Kinda hoping its the turbo that way i can find something better to replace it with.
Thanks given by:
Dave Wrote:To cause damage to these engines you need to seriously overfill them, im talking like double what you normally put in them, 5mm is like a piss in the sea.

Even a few thousand miles on gearbox oil won't kill them! Confusedhock: (mind it was only 500ml) Cheap degreasing ftw!
[Image: brokendown-1-1-1.jpg]

Dturbo GT2259s build thread;
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-3692.html

Daily driver; 330d Msport (doesn't blow up!)
Thanks given by:
ha I got dangerously low on oil once, and just pulled the tank return, stuck down dipstick breather and filled the sump with some veg.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
lmao Nice, Dave!

Doesn't sound like much to worry about Foz, maybe turbo seals steadily dying. Whatever it is, i'd ignore it until it gets worse (ie easier to trace).
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Im assuming MOT stations aren't bothered about oil burning, they just test for black smoke.
Thanks given by:
That's it. Wink
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
when my turbo was going the smoke was thick blue and stunk of oil. still boosted ok though. it used to smoke on idle when warm and when accelerating
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Dave Wrote:ha I got dangerously low on oil once, and just pulled the tank return, stuck down dipstick breather and filled the sump with some veg.

Lol Dave I love you, your brain literally works on exactly the same mindset as mine Smile
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
lmao lmao Dave!

[Image: polymerized.jpg]

Fkin ledgend!

Stick bit of diesel in the sump, clean tha shit out! Big Grin
[Image: brokendown-1-1-1.jpg]

Dturbo GT2259s build thread;
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-3692.html

Daily driver; 330d Msport (doesn't blow up!)
Thanks given by:
I'd guess more at valve stem seals...

Turbos don't tend to blow blue unless they're on their LAST legs... And it's usually after a hard pull, you lift off and you'll get the signature blue haze out the back... Could be slight ring passing - easiest way to check that is to take the lid off the oil filler, see how much gas comes out - if it's like another exhaust and it STINKS of exhaust fumes... If it just smells a bit oily/dieselly that's normal, but if it's literally chuffing out exhaust gas, it's rings...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I think the engine is fooked Sad disconnected the Intercooler and ran it still kicking out blue, and theres no oil coming out the turbo compressor, although it does seem to be caked in oil/grease crap and the turbo outlet. Another thing i noticed was it seems to be getting hot quite quickly yet the temp gauge doesn't show any movement part from the little movement as it starts.

It also seems to miss fire every so often resulting in a small puff of blue smoke. Any other ideas?
Thanks given by:
(18-06-2012, 06:48 PM)Fozzy Wrote: I think the engine is fooked Sad disconnected the Intercooler and ran it still kicking out blue, and theres no oil coming out the turbo compressor, although it does seem to be caked in oil/grease crap and the turbo outlet. Another thing i noticed was it seems to be getting hot quite quickly yet the temp gauge doesn't show any movement part from the little movement as it starts.

It also seems to miss fire every so often resulting in a small puff of blue smoke. Any other ideas?
when on tick over does it tick over fine then all of a sudden cough abit of smoke out?
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
It has very slight smoke when idling then it will cough a bit of smoke out just as you said.......
Thanks given by:
i had this problem. start the car and unscrew the cold idle so the tick over rises this should stop it. if so then all i did was change the injectors and clean the filter in the lift pump under the rear seat. hope this helps.
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
In fairness, could be a naff injector, they can blow blue when you've got dodgy injectors...

Also make sure the breathers are clear and actually going into the turbo intake... I accidentally kinked one, and it blowed blue constantly...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
Will look into that thanks Karl

Ruan:Not sure what the turbo intake has covering it:

[Image: Photo0886.jpg]

My dad did suggest naff injector but i didn't think that would blow blue.
Thanks given by:
try the cold start screw that should stop it mate
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
will that stop the blue smoke when accelerating as well? just wanna know all possibilities before completely writing it off
Thanks given by:
CV Grease?!?!?!

And no, it won't stop it whilst running, the missing at idle it might stop...

Injectors can blow blue if they're absolutely f*cked...
Thanks given by:
I thought CV at first but they all looked ok and clean, plus its not coating anything else, as would have to be the inner boot to get it there. This car really is a mystery .
Thanks given by:
(18-06-2012, 08:36 PM)Fozzy Wrote: will that stop the blue smoke when accelerating as well? just wanna know all possibilities before completely writing it off
it did with mine. like i say just start it up and screw it out and the revs with increase then just check whats its like. give it a few revs. mine use to be ok then just loose power then kick in again. was wierd.
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad Blue Smoke KilianManning 10 3,278 28-09-2015, 11:44 AM
Last Post: KilianManning
  Any descent mechanics blue smoke? blinkyeatu 22 4,644 31-08-2015, 06:44 PM
Last Post: blinkyeatu
  Light blue smoke Nathan1305 5 1,696 26-02-2015, 01:36 PM