412k HDI! Yes!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
412k HDI! Yes!
Holy moly that's a lot of miles! - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-406-GL...Swl9BWG-b0

320k too - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-PEUGEOT-4...Swf-VWU3QQ
Thanks given by:
I kinda wanna buy the first one haha. Just to see how long it will go on for lol
Thanks given by:
DeeTurbo's must've passed 320k by now!

That first 406 isn't massively high, taxi's often do daft mileage that. Smile
Thanks given by:
Seen the 307 hdi 2.0 on over 500k a few times used to look after a few taxis once upon a time.

Imo anything that makes 200k in a modern car is doing well. Old motors always made moon miles. Im sure there was a guy who clocked over 900k on his old pug
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
I saw over 400k on a DV6 taxi on ebay recently...presumably that's about 12 turbos, 8 DPFs and 4 engines worth... lol
Thanks given by:
400k on dv6 never seen. I would assume it was the non dpf model lol
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
I know lol, thought they'd made a mistake but checked the reg and it was definitely a DV6! You could be right tbf, don't know if it was dpf or not. It was being sold for spares due to bodywork damage, apparently was a 'good little runner' though. lol
Thanks given by:
Got a few 300k plus hdis that we see at work, all still running strong.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Properly maintain cars and they'll go on for a long time as a general rule - ultimately it's typically neglect and/or unwillingness to spend the required money to keep them running that kills cars prematurely, particularly combined with the notoriously low values of used cars in this country relative to other parts of the world rendering cars beyond economic repair for any involved repair once they're over 10 years old or so thanks to the labour costs.

My old 306 HDi had done over 250k miles and all the oily bits were in good fettle still - engine didn't need any fluid top ups between 12k services for example, and I've no doubt would have done 300k+ miles. Ultimately what killed it was that I needed an estate and with that mileage and the MOT being due it was nigh-on worthless, so it made more sense to just remove the bits I needed from it and scrap the rest.

Look at the mileages that most commercial stuff racks up or over the other side of the Atlantic to the US where cars typically rack up much higher mileages per annum than we do here in Blighty (and where a surprising number of people still subscribe to the mentality of changing the oil ever 3k miles).
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
I've seen a couple of XUD9 and DW10 406 taxis past the half million
Thanks given by:
Guy across the road from me has a partner taxi with 730k on it
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Christ alive, that's got to have had a rebuild?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
nw gearbox, and 4 clutches and other consumeables.. he services it every 6 months, with pug parts..

i will see if i can get a shot of the tacho..
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
I assume that's a NAD Partner? No way a turbo would last that long lol...
Thanks given by:
why not? its a HDi
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
As above, why shouldn't it? It's a comparatively old-tech turbo that isn't particularly stressed, so cared for it should last for a long time.

Like I said before, look at the mileages that commercial stuff routinely manages.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
mum's XUD9TE is still on its original turbo and fuel pump at 360 k.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
I've broken old tech HDi turbo's long before that sort of mileage lol, or the previous owners have on breakers. Moving parts have gotta wear though, even with regular oil changes, just don't see how turbo bearings can last that long? Or piston rings tbh, I can't imagine it's still got much compression left at 700k? Confused
Thanks given by:
mum's 405 still goes like feck, I wound the turbo and pump up 190k miles ago when I had the head off.

oh and its still pulling mid 50's mpg.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(30-11-2015, 11:33 AM)Toms306 Wrote: I've broken old tech HDi turbo's long before that sort of mileage lol, or the previous owners have on breakers.  Moving parts have gotta wear though, even with regular oil changes, just don't see how turbo bearings can last that long?  Or piston rings tbh, I can't imagine it's still got much compression left at 700k? Confused

You neglected the 2nd part of that sentence - the "cared for" part.

Most 306's these days have not been cared for during a portion of their lives, unsurprising really as they're old cheap cars that are simply "white goods" to most.

Care isn't just servicing but the way the car is driven and treated too, something that most people forget.

That said, clearly 700k miles is well beyond average and fair to say that even with care and regular servicing it would be reasonable to expect many to fail short of that sort of mileage.
Thanks given by:
That is a very good point, even 3 years ago when I broke the estate that was clearly not cared for despite having few owners and looking fairly tidy outside. But it'd also only been used for the school run for years...then I used it as a workhorse doing 500+ miles a week load lugging and it literally fell apart lol. Turbo on that was knackered at only 120k! Made some really odd noises, sounded awful when the cat snapped and fell off, was loads of play in it when I removed it after. However the engine block still had hone marks!
Thanks given by: