Standard Rods

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Standard Rods
Just Curious to see who has been running standard rods on a xud with decent power?

Have forged rods come down in price ,in the last couple of years?
Project 205 D turbo- Reshell : http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=28909
Thanks given by:
Forged rods come in at about £400, I was running 150-160bhp on standard rods, they never failed but the head lifted instead lol
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
have been down the stock rods route about 7 times now :p unless you want to keep pulling the motor, anything over 160 I wouldn't consider safe, does depend on fuel delivery aswell though. Can pick up forged ones for 400 well worth it
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Dave knows Big Grin fpmsl, 7 engine changes was it mate?
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
bahaha yeh, just couple were not just for knuckling rods, just general f*ck ups and experiments aswell ThumbsUp

Gotta love it, be at home in few weeks getting under my mums corsa for some VE action - although readin this back sounds strangely erotic
Thanks given by:
See my thread.

Stock block...still runs.
Thanks given by:
My original one that had the 2052V on still runs..
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Put hdi rods in.

HDI D'Turbo Daily Driver ---- XUD D'Turbo Project
Thanks given by:
(24-11-2015, 08:07 PM)daveylennon93 Wrote: Put hdi rods in.

I dont see the point.

If your going to the effort of changing rods why not put forged ones in and build a monster
Project 205 D turbo- Reshell : http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=28909
Thanks given by:
I know people who have smashed up HDi rods in just as short time as XUD9 rods...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
I'm just in two minds of going all out on my motor next year or build something around 150bhp mark, which in a 205 with a short ratio 1.8 box , would be lively enough.

Do many people on here sell there complete forged engines, so forged block, head and arps ?
Thanks given by:
No very rarely as there is more money in it to break them up.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
£400 rods are not worth the hassle, decent rods start at £550 up.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
There are 400 quid rods floating about, not had anyone blow any yet?
Thanks given by:
End of the day, stock rods are forged... "Forged" is not a standard to go by...

From what I've seen everyone bitching about the cheap maxspeeding rods etc - most of the rods you buy online are just those rods with the companies branding on in a fancy box.

Price doesn't dictate how good a product is - I've seen enough cheapy Chinese rods to know that yes, the quality control isn't ideal, they are definitely very variable - you do take a risk and you may have to have a little work done... The chances of them destroying themselves is low and realistically, engines are cheap - the vast majority of people here haven't got incredibly expensive components (heads, blocks, pistons, turbochargers) and most people here are considering their time spent as nil cost - that's not always the case and there's definitely a place for expensive items...

I'd stick them in a motor if I was just using it as a toy... If we're talking competition motorsport, that's an entirely different kettle of fish, but for the uses of most people on here, they're just fine...
Thanks given by:
Im puttin hdi 16 v rods in mine and bumping the power. Im sure it will live if not roll on engine number 6 i say.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(25-11-2015, 02:46 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: Im puttin hdi 16 v rods in mine and bumping the power. Im sure it will live if not roll on engine number 6 i say.

How much has 6 engines cost + the time to change them?
Thanks given by:
I put HDI rods in my gt2056s 205 making around 150hp. Gaves it dogs abuse for 3000 so far, not a whisper of a problem. Id say stock rods would have given up long ago.
I was in exactly the same position as yourself and very nearly did buy a set of £400 forged rods, but when I contemplated it at the end of the day, £400 is a lot of money for me at least. Addtionally, I was willing to splurge that much on a Dturbo, as much as I love it, at the end of the day its a Dturbo. People look at me like I'm mental for building it in the first place.
Thanks given by:
The hdi rods are only a tiny bit beefier in the little end, nit really worth stripping the engine unless you go forged imo
Thanks given by:
(24-11-2015, 10:16 AM)mr_fish Wrote: See my thread.

Stock block...still runs.

Just in case nobody saw this. 

It seems luck of the draw wins.
                                             [Image: 2ljm03k.jpg]

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
The modern stock rods are considerably stronger than OEM xud style rods...

As far as I can see, PSA have retained the same design, and kept making the rods stronger and stronger as the engines have got more powerfull...but only made one set of rods at any point in time...Hence the 8v hdi in the 306 rods, although are stronger, arnt hugely stronger...but the more modern 8v hdi rods are much thicker, the same as the "16v hdi" rods...because there the same things..Obviously at x point in time they just started using the stronger rods in the new more powerfull engines, and for cost used the same rods in everything else...

Basically the newer the rods the better your chances, I have personally seen 3 different physical style of "HDI" rod..and wouldn't surprise me if there are more..

The way I see it is if the engines in bits, and you are on a super budget, if you can get hold of HDI rods for very cheap, its worth dropping a set in...for everyone else who just wants to play with big power as a toy, 400 chinky rods.. Would I use them? No...I dont like the way there designed, and I wouldn't trust them in a motor I spent many hours and invested many dollars into building... However if i was just setting out / playing with big turbos on a little 306 or something and just wanted something that would take the abuse for a good period of time and largely not have to worry, yes, its exactly what Id buy....But to me its worth the extra 300 quid all day long to have something thats built how I want it / I have faith in.
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by: