Hdi starter problem

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hdi starter problem
Hi all new to site I have a problem with my 2001 306 hdi recently about 2 weeks ago replaced gearbox and clutch had no problems ect but as my wife who drives my bmw broke the car I leleant her my work horse my trusty 306 hdi she had it for obe hr and rang me I'm at the shop the car won't start managed to get her dad to bump start it so eliminatinga immobiliser fault got back home and I checked everything I can think of battery power immobiliser ect so put it down to ssolenoid on starter so I've replaced starter motor and Is still the same there is no noise coming from starter ect I've checked there is power to when turning key ect but now I'm stuck is there a relay or fuse to starter motor all help will be thanked ☺☺
Thanks given by:
Also noticed oil gauge not working and lights going out when I turn key
Thanks given by:
Check the earth on the gearbox, its probably only hanging on by a couple of strands.
Thanks given by:
another quick test to see if its a earth problem take one jump lead put on negative on battery then connect other end to a earth on the engine block if it now works maybe replace/check the gearbox earth as tom suggests
Thanks given by:
Thanks will do I have a spare earth strap so going to try that
Thanks given by:
Tried the earth wires still the same is there a relay in the under bonnet fuse box
Thanks given by:
No, the starter gets a direct battery feed, no fuse or relay. Can't really understand what the issue is if it's not an earth fault! Only thing I can suggest is check the positive cable and battery terminals.
Thanks given by:
which lights go off when you turn the key post 2? im suprised it isnt the earth wire are you sure the battery is good have you gave it a good charge etc the only other thing i can suggest to rule out a faulty new starter is to take a wire from the positve battery lead a touch on starter solenoid terminal (or just link the live from the starter to the solenoid terminal just for a quick test to see if starters good) USE CAUTION WHEN DOING THIS MAKE SURE CAR IS OUT OF GEAR ETC! did you try using a jump lead from the battery negitive to the engine block?
Thanks given by:
Could be an ignition switch fault if all your dash lights are going out when you turn the key, try holding it in the start position and wiggling it around a bit (gently! You don't want it broken in there lol). Tbh as above is more likely, sounds a lot like a dead battery or bad earth.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(23-11-2015, 07:05 PM)Ad5gtt Wrote: Hi all new to site I have a problem with my 2001 306 hdi recently about 2 weeks ago replaced gearbox and clutch had no problems ect but as my wife who drives my bmw broke the car I leleant her my work horse my trusty 306 hdi she had it for obe hr and rang me I'm at the shop the car won't start managed to get her dad to bump start it so eliminatinga immobiliser fault got back home and I checked everything I can think of battery power immobiliser ect so put it down to ssolenoid on starter so I've replaced starter motor and Is still the same there is no noise coming from starter ect I've checked there is power to when turning key ect but now I'm stuck is there a relay or fuse to starter motor all help will be thanked ☺☺

Hi, had a similar problem on Monday; When you turn the key to start the engine look at the instrument panel and see if the gauges are affected, Mine all shot over to maximum readings, Rev counter and Speedometer.
The fault is the multifunction relay Peugeot Part No: 1920 7L cost 19gbp. It's a bitch to get to, You need a 10mm spanner to undo a nut near side wheel arch up by the coil spring. Under the bonnet you need to remove the battery and the battery tray to give you room;  loosen the EMU a fiddly nut 8mm on the bulkhead. And the Multi Relay is on the back at the bottom, it is Brown in colour, remove the split pin and pull the 2 Red locking tabs out about 1.5cms and pull the plug apart.
Don't forget to push the Red tabs back in to hold the relay in place. This the second one I have had to replace in the car. The previous time was about 7 years ago; I have had the car 13 years 306Hdi 2.0Ltr GL on a V plate
Hope this is of some help to you. David

Hi, had a similar problem on Monday; When you turn the key to start the engine look at the instrument panel and see if the gauges are affected, Mine all shot over to maximum readings, Rev counter and Speedometer.
The fault is the multifunction relay Peugeot Part No: 1920 7L cost 19gbp. It's a bitch to get to, You need a 10mm spanner to undo a nut near side wheel arch up by the coil spring. Under the bonnet you need to remove the battery and the battery tray to give you room; loosen the EMU a fiddly nut 8mm on the bulkhead. And the Multi Relay is on the back at the bottom, it is Brown in colour, remove the split pin and pull the 2 Red locking tabs out about 1.5cms and pull the plug apart.
Don't forget to push the Red tabs back in to hold the relay in place. This the second one I have had to replace in the car. The previous time was about 7 years ago; I have had the car 13 years 306Hdi 2.0Ltr GL on a V plate
Hope this is of some help to you. David
Thanks given by:
That one above sounds more like a typical tired battery or bad earth, how did you come to the conclusion it was the brown relay?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by: