1.4 HDi - The latest issue...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1.4 HDi - The latest issue...
Ok, possible dodgey Head Gasket aside which I haven't had a chance to look into yet. The next issue to rear it's head is I've got a very laboured sounding belt (assuming it's cambelt).

It's odd because the cambelt was new circa 12k ago/8 months ago.

It sounds fine when you first start her up, but then after moving a little it's very loud on tickover. So loud in fact it drowns out all other engine noises.

I've tried some wd40 on the various cogs as this solved a similar problem on my dad's fiesta (same engine) but this doesn't seem to have solved the problem. I've attached some videos that hopefully let you hear the noise.

I know it's difficult without taking a look but does anyone know what the crack with this is?

https://youtu.be/OrJifc_CKP8

https://youtu.be/0jcKL7Kg5Bk

https://youtu.be/JMMbeq-1_JQ
CLUB RALLYE
||AVO Race GTX Coilovers||Signature Blue Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Hybrid ARB||21mm Torsion Bar||rich_w Flywheel||
Thanks given by:
Well that sounds awful...

Sounds like a bearing is failing on the tensioner/idler to me if you're sure it's not aux related. Though that said, it could be waterpump failing which could explain the coolant issue. Did a garage do the belt? Genuine parts?
Thanks given by:
alernator or power steering pump bearings maybe? run it with the belt of see if it still sounds bad.
Thanks given by:
(17-11-2015, 12:04 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Well that sounds awful...  

Sounds like a bearing is failing on the tensioner/idler to me if you're sure it's not aux related.  Though that said, it could be waterpump failing which could explain the coolant issue.  Did a garage do the belt?  Genuine parts?

The garage I bought it from did it. Not sure what parts etc. unfortunately. Waterpump doesn't sound good, that'll kill the lot won't it?

(17-11-2015, 12:04 PM)vincent1 Wrote: alernator or power steering pump bearings maybe? run it with the belt of see if it still sounds bad.

Wouldn't trust myself getting the belt back on after I've taken it off. Might be a garage job... great...
CLUB RALLYE
||AVO Race GTX Coilovers||Signature Blue Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Hybrid ARB||21mm Torsion Bar||rich_w Flywheel||
Thanks given by:
The aux belt should be fairly easy to get off, probably just a sprung tensioner, but I don't know the exact setup on these, don't think it's a stretch belt though.

IF it's the waterpump, it'll need replacing asap, can cause all sorts of damage. But that's just an if! I think it's probably best to get to someone with a bit more experience to have a look in all honesty, only so much we can guess from videos.
Thanks given by:
Did the garage who did the cambelt do the waterpump at the same time? They certainly should have done, can you see it weeping from the waterpump?

I'd take the auxiliary belt off and see if the noise is still there, at least then you've got half an idea of where to start. Sounds alternatorery to me, but dead bearings tend to sound much alike and videos distort the noise.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
As said pop the aux belt off and see if the noise goes. These engines are common to have bottom pulley issues similar to the 2 litre hdi's
Thanks given by:
15mm spanner and you'll be able to release the tensioner. you'll be able to spin the pulleys by hand and see if one feels rough.

Sounds like either the idler pulley or tensioner. They have grease under the seals and it drys out then the roller bearings start making a noise. both are easy to replace. just remove the inner arch and access isnt that bad.

If you are able to jack it up and have a mate lie underneath to make sure you get the belt back on the lower pulleys it will make the job a matter of seconds
Thanks given by: