Frosty's 205

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frosty's 205
So though i didn't really want this turning into a project it kind of has so i may as well make a thread about it. Back in July time i ended up buying a 205 off some at works partner for £50. Wasn't really looking for another can but when the chance to have a 205 popped up i had to grab it as i miss the fun i had in my old 1.

Anyway the car, a 205 GLD 1.7 diesel. 116k on the clock and it was originally bought from the garage I work at now. A few pic of when i first got it

[Image: E54A14C9-958C-43EE-9F1B-B281B07BB0AE_zpsyk2wysr6.jpg]

[Image: 51223992-6C5E-4F42-8ABB-7B1582651071_zpssolu651v.jpg]

First thing i did was give it a good wash and get all the much out of the arches etc. It had been used by a few farmers so was bit of a state inside as well. I took all the seats and carpet out and pressure washed that all off so they look and smell a lot better now. 

Then it was time to sort it for mot. Its a pretty solid car but the front subframe was a bit rotten and once i started digging i knew i was going to need to get a new 1. Got 1 delivered for £55 i think it was with a pair a decent bottom arms which was handy as 1 arm had a ball joint with a lot of play. Only other thing that was needed for a mot was it had a broken spring, I wanted to try and keep this as a cheap car so i popped a pair of 306 springs on the front, it sits a tad high upfront but does the job. I did put new top mount bearings on when i fitted the springs as they weren't great as well. Other than that i just replaced the 2 metal rear brake pipes to the wheel cylinders, both hand brake cables and gave the rear brakes a clean and adjust so that is all good.

When i got the car the plan was to have it as a cheap winter run around so i could save poss putting either of the 306s in the ditch. But then damo was scrapping a 306 dt he had as a cheap run around for a bit but just wanted the bosch pump set up off it for his van. I helped him scrap it and ended up with the engine out of it

[Image: 01A50E5B-9FE4-48AE-B7EC-3BF462313B01_zpsjz6rv6ky.jpg]

[Image: 02A1C9CF-AF32-45D2-A626-C35A15055D4C_zpsnxr8forx.jpg]

So it was rude not to chuck it in the 205. But i got the 205 on the road start of October just with the standard engine as didn't have much spare time to swap the engine. While the engine was sat in the workshop i stripped it down and cleaned it up and gave it a lick of red paint. Replaced a few gaskets and seals, new water pump and cam belt. Got a bosch pump set up bought of matt rallye and got all that fitted so the engine was pretty much ready to drop in.

[Image: 79E67B80-3A7C-47AA-A827-26BBEDEB7AB1_zpsytk3yzl4.jpg]

The standard engine started to have a fair oil leak so i decided it was time to change the engine. Got the engine all swapped over on a weekend a few weeks back. Gone with the 306 gearbox on this and it need some new drive shafts as the originals were knocking pretty bad which was handy as with the new 1s i got i could swap the inner cup over on the short shaft and both drive shafts went in the gearbox with any issue which was handy as i have heard some people swap the diffs over. Got a new clutch cable and fitted a few bits off a 306 cable so it works with the xud clutch.

[Image: 43879565-83D8-4DD4-A295-C23533D01250_zpsfnffc3af.jpg]

[Image: E0E65543-922E-4EC5-87EB-3EE4E93CBE53_zpsh2wewzqc.jpg]

Engine was in and running but couldn't have the cooling system plumbed up as needed some hose and joiners for various bits. Got the bits later that week and got it all plumbed up.

[Image: F2B23402-6B1F-477A-9640-B7F849EF0A42_zpsjo2swbbn.jpg]

Sorry haven't really got any decent pics. Made up an exhaust for it as well with a nice cheeky back box that was off damo's old hdi

[Image: 5ED77B8C-B1DC-4D8D-9E7F-8536AC25CC97_zpsajbi27qi.jpg]

Few other bits i have done, fitted some hdi front brakes and the 14" swallow wheels as needed for the bigger breaks. 

So i have been driving it with the turbo lump for the last few weeks and seems to be going ok. Got a bit of a mis fire from cold atm which im trying to sort but will updated about that another time. Thats pretty much everything for now though im sure i've forgot some bits but ill update again soon.
Thanks given by:
yah more 205s. always a win
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Some nice win there ThumbsUp
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
A lot of motor there for 50 quid! be close to 25 years old now so its doing well! how quick are these with the standard Dturbos? as i can seem these been well pokey!
Thanks given by:
Can't beat the power to weight difference of the 205 love them
Thanks given by:
So much love for the 205!! I really want one to do the same. Proper nippy with the dt engine
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
My mate had a 'Maris Gras' when we were at uni, well over 220k on it - great little car!
Thanks given by:
Thanks got all the 205 love guys. It really is the best example but defo a fun car to drive

(14-11-2015, 08:20 PM)procta Wrote: A lot of motor there for 50 quid! be close to 25 years old now so its doing well! how quick are these with the standard Dturbos? as i can seem these been well pokey!

Yeah surprising what you can pick up these days for not a lot of money. 23 years old mine is, its 2 months younger than me lol. 

It defo feels pretty quick low down, lights the wheels up for fun.
Thanks given by:
much saving! great work.
Thanks given by:
(15-11-2015, 04:45 PM)Frosty Wrote: Thanks got all the 205 love guys. It really is the best example but defo a fun car to drive

(14-11-2015, 08:20 PM)procta Wrote: A lot of motor there for 50 quid! be close to 25 years old now so its doing well! how quick are these with the standard Dturbos? as i can seem these been well pokey!

Yeah surprising what you can pick up these days for not a lot of money. 23 years old mine is, its 2 months younger than me lol. 

It defo feels pretty quick low down, lights the wheels up for fun.

laugh is my car is older than some of the people I work with, and they don't even know what the hell it is either!
Thanks given by:
50 pound 205 !!!

That got to be the deal of the year
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
shake, rattle and roll Tongue
Thanks given by:
(16-11-2015, 08:16 AM)7057sam Wrote: 50 pound 205 !!!

That got to be the deal of the year

Yeah was cheap but for a reason, it certainly isn't that tidy. Still with a years mot it owed me about £130. Now its a bit more since i swapped the engine

(16-11-2015, 09:56 AM)mr_fish Wrote: shake, rattle and roll Tongue

Pretty much sums it up
Thanks given by:
Keep this thread ticking along I got a bit more to add. Gave it a bit of a tune up, just played with the pump to start off with as didn't want to go too mad till i got the boost gauge fitted. When i did get the boost gauge fit i found out it was hitting 24psi. I looked into this and found the wastegate was seized on the turbo so got that freed off and was then hitting 16psi. Got the boost controller fitted and now hitting a nice steady 20psi which goes alright for what it is tbh.

Couple of weeks ago started to have a bit of a clonk coming from the passenger side and then seemed to steer itself when on and off the throttle, the inner bush on the bottom arm was well and truly knacked so got a new pair of febi 1s and fitted them and tracked it up. Also fitted a pair of new bushed on the gear link on the subframe as the gearstick had a fair amount of play which has improved it but got some new links on the way. Also whacked a pair of good 2nd hand tyres on the front as they were getting low.

The speakers were pretty bad it it so decided to treat it to a new pair which has made music a lot better to listen to

Old 1s
[Image: 5790476e-98a0-4dec-9e93-05b5a560749e_zpsn5b3sgjd.jpg]

And fitted some alpines
[Image: E02022ED-2B9E-4165-A1D3-7CF9626F45A0_zpsevlmmuhf.jpg]

With it being a xud i decided it would be a good idea to get a coolant temp gauge sorted as well.

[Image: 483F0277-F9AC-4775-9F10-8379BF099510_zpse2z56ysu.jpg]

Thats about it for now. Ill try and get some better pics of the car at some point
Thanks given by:
cracking little car for the money, how does she shift with the dt engine in?
Thanks given by:
(16-12-2015, 06:06 PM)306Dan Wrote: cracking little car for the money, how does she shift with the dt engine in?

Yeah starting to owe me a few quid now its turned into a project but at least i know its all up together. Goes pretty well tbf, just lights the wheels up in 1st and 2nd though. Once it gets the power down it goes well. It will certainly surprise a lot of people
Thanks given by:
Overdue update on this thread, the car was off the road for 6 months over the summer so i could swap my insurance over to the dt but i've now put this back on the road as of last month. Had to do some work to it before it went back on the road. Had a good look over it to see how it was all looking but found out it needed some welding. I decided as it was all try to get any welding sorted and the underside cleaned off and protected/sealed. It needed some welding in the passenger side inner arch and where the rear seat bases bolt down had corroded away, that was the main bits. Had to drop the tank to sort the seat mount bits so while that was down i cleaned and under sealed that. As well i replaced both the front to rear brake pipes, rear flexi hoses and rear brake pipes to the wheel cylinders as well as replacing the wheel cylinders. So now underneath it is all looking pretty good and hopefully won't need to worry about it for a few years. Got it all mot'd so that's all good for the next 12 months as well.

Also i wanted to try and sort the water leak i seem to have that gets the roof lining wet in the back so i dropping the lining out and had a mate poor water over the roof and that seem to show the boot seal was the issue. I was struggling to find a decent 2nd hand one and i couldn't see peugeot still selling them so i got a universal one on ebay that seem to have done the job. The link if anyone is interested http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322088879953?_...EBIDX%3AIT (i got 5 metres as wanted to be sure i had enough)

Few other bits i done was fitted another set of speakers into the rear quarters and ran wires back for them and also fitted a usb, cigarette lighter and volt gauge into the dash as the standard cigarette lighter didn't work and i think this looks pretty cool.

Im waning this as a cheap run around now so pretty much running it mainly on veg to try and save some money where i can. Only other thing i can think of is it wasn't starting very well in the mornings last week so i check the glow plugs yesterday to find i had 2 not working so fitted a full set of bosch ones i had in my tool box.

Sorry for the lack of pics, ill try and sort that out this week with a few. Thanks for reading.
Thanks given by:
I never knew you had this! Result!
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
(06-11-2016, 08:43 PM)ginge191 Wrote: I never knew you had this! Result!

Haha yeah bit more of a low key car/project is this one.
Thanks given by:
what a great project. £50! what a bargain!
Thanks given by:
(07-11-2016, 01:14 PM)Eeyore Wrote: what a great project. £50! what a bargain!

Owes it a fair bit more than that now but I know its all up together pretty well.
Thanks given by:
A few pics, this is the USB charger etc bit i bought off ebay and made fit in the dash. Seems to work pretty well and always handy to have a volts gauge

[Image: IMG_74841_zpst9bghesr.jpg]

Next the speakers i fitted in the back, went for alpine which is the same as i fitted in the front

[Image: IMG_74851_zps6ccn3ohu.jpg]

Also while a lot of the interior was out i gave the boot floor and sides and under the rear seats a lick of paint to tidy it up. Pretty pleased with the results

[Image: IMG_75791_zps7pgp5yvg.jpg]

And the 205 itself not that is looks any different at all

[Image: IMG_76291_zpsm74e7otd.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Just to keep this thread ticking along, been driving the car pretty much every day doing 250/300 miles a week like a dream. Pretty much on all veg so helping to save the pennies. Over christmas i had a bit of time off so i thought it would be a good chance for me to give it a decent clean for the first time in my ownership and a fair few year previous to that i reckon. Im not detailing pro but i gave it a wash off, then a polish and the a layer of wax. Whacked a bit of bumper shine on the bumpers and rubber/trim wax in the door handles and tyres. All came up pretty well for an old machine that it is. Just need to try and sort out getting the roof resprayed that hopefully my boss said he will help me do, i'll try and sort that in spring/summer time.

[Image: IMG_79841_zpsbc7wddnc.jpg]

[Image: IMG_79851_zpsj1iqvdhn.jpg]

Been using the car to transport my bike about as well, have to fit it inside as i have no roof bars though i think mr fish has managed to sort me some. But the bike fits in the back pretty well.

[Image: IMG_78691_zps63kn7er4.jpg]

Not a huge amount else done other than a bit of a service Friday night after work.
Thanks given by:
More love for the 205 from me, cracking little cars. I've never owned a TD one but drove one a few times back in the day. I bet it's quite good fun with it being turned up a bit!
Thanks given by:
Looking good mate, scrubs up well! Fellow same bike fwend aha
Thanks given by:
(08-01-2017, 09:17 PM)Paul Baldwin Wrote: More love for the 205 from me, cracking little cars. I've never owned a TD one but drove one a few times back in the day. I bet it's quite good fun with it being turned up a bit!

Cheers, yeah i love it. It goes pretty well for what it is with a bit of a tune up, I haven't gone too mad with it. Certainly surprises a few other cars though Smile

(08-01-2017, 10:38 PM)MY95 Wrote: Looking good mate, scrubs up well! Fellow same bike fwend aha

Cheers Matt, haha yeah. Can't wait to see what it looks like on the roof of the car.
Thanks given by:
looking very clean and tidy, has shined up well Smile

nice to see a 205 in daily use
Thanks given by:
(09-01-2017, 09:11 AM)zx_volcane Wrote: looking very clean and tidy, has shined up well Smile

nice to see a 205 in daily use

Cheers Tom, yeah don't see too many out on the roads these days.
Thanks given by:
Looking smart chap
Thanks given by:
(09-01-2017, 11:25 PM)daniel909 Wrote: Looking smart chap

Cheers Rhys, it's not to bad for a 24 year old peugeot Smile
Thanks given by: