Good/bad idea...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good/bad idea...
Just wondering if a "6" gearbox will couple up to an xud, be ok ratio wise and be strong enough etc? It's been a thought for the last few weeks...

So chaps please provide your knowledge...
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
Bad idea ratios all wrong :-)
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Been covered before a couple of times in the XUD section i think, you'd have to modify your steering lock to match and the box'd be too short for a decent top speed. Various options discussed including swapping the XUD diff onto it to change the fd, etc, etc, but general consensus was it wasn't worth it and you may as well go straight for something more suited to the application.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
4WayDiablo Wrote:Bad idea ratios all wrong :-)

In what respect, sorry but I've done no research in to it

Is it much different from a HDI box?

Thanks given by:
Well if you think that 6 box is geared for an engine that goes to 7k as opposed to the dervs

Also yeah as poodle says you need to modify the lock or a new steering rack and get used to the white turning circle
Thanks given by:
Ah poodles post didn't show as I posted lol...ah bin that idea then unless it's possible to make the HDI incorporate a 6th gear?

Thanks given by:
They aren't terrible on an xud if you've gov modded and other general pump work...from what I've heard they're good for acceleration but as said for general cruising or top speed they're shit!
Thanks given by:
I think Ruan is a man to speak to on the 6 speed. There is a derv in the Peugeot range with ab6 speed but can't remember which that could be suitable if you want to change from clutch cable to hydraulic
Thanks given by:
206 eco box?
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
4WayDiablo Wrote:I think Ruan is a man to speak to on the 6 speed. There is a derv in the Peugeot range with ab6 speed but can't remember which that could be suitable if you want to change from clutch cable to hydraulic

Think the 207/308 hdi boxes are 6 speed, may be wrong.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
lolsteve Wrote:206 eco box?
Its a bit of a myth iirc. I mean the green badged 206 hdi does exist an all but whether the ratios are different I don't think anyone's come with a solid answer?
Thanks given by:
4WayDiablo Wrote:
Its a bit of a myth iirc. I mean the green badged 206 hdi does exist an all but whether the ratios are different I don't think anyone's come with a solid answer?

There was a dt kicking about with one a while back iirc. It was the holy grail of boxes back when I was tuning my dt, but as you say very little evidence...
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
I did spy this last week in tesco if its of any use?
[Image: IMG_20120503_140942.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Andy did mention they were bloody rare but should fit !!

4WayDiablo Wrote:I think Ruan is a man to speak to on the 6 speed. There is a derv in the Peugeot range with ab6 speed but can't remember which that could be suitable if you want to change from clutch cable to hydraulic

Andy! From pugnet/local to me was talking about it, the box from a hdi 206Eco thingy would do about 65ish mpg as 5th ratio was longer than a standard hdi box. I need to look in to it abit more Smile

Thanks given by:
4WayDiablo Wrote:I did spy this last week in tesco if its of any use?
[Image: IMG_20120503_140942.jpg]

[Image: 2cb8e361.jpg]

Nope needs to be the "Eco" model.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
But it has the green i ? That's what it means riiight?
Thanks given by:
Hmm didn't see that, still, said its only 5speed on the car info thing... Mabey it's too old?
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Toxic-Jake Wrote:Hmm didn't see that, still, said its only 5speed on the car info thing... Mabey it's too old?
Think someone is getting mixed up :-P

We've moved on from the 6 speed box to the 5speed hdi box but 5th apparently has a longer ratio for eco cruising
Thanks given by:
That's what I get for not reading half the thread,

I'll go sit in the corner now
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Coreect phil, moved on.

The green I's are a 1:4 hdi aren't they? Not much at all comes up for an egay search for hdi Eco, not even a car

Thanks given by:
Actually found one for sale as a trade sale, it's also had the green "I" badge nicked lol

Thanks given by:
The 206 HDi eco (with a DW10 lump) does have a different final drive ratio in the gear box making all the gears longer forgotten the exact amount though.

I know this cos I did the research trawling through service box to find the part numbers and gear ratios.
Thanks given by:
Any number of six-speed boxes you can put on, but 99% of them will require some work to fit/work. Dum-dum is probably one of the better ones to talk to about it, think he's done a fair bit of research.

EDIT: See ^^^ lol
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Reg number PL03 0BY is an Eco I think, just spotted for sale. Chris how much work is it to fit one of these boxes?

Thanks given by:
The eco box is easy, DT clutch arm and you can bolt it straight on.

The 6 speed diesel boxes are ML boxes with a cable shift and hydraulic clutch but theres 3 main different sets of ratios/Fd. I think they bolt up but I also think you might be able to bolt a BE bell housing to the ML box to use a std clutch then you only have to worry about the cable shift.

Oh and obv with the 6 speed box you need the GTi6 steering rack.
Thanks given by:
It's actually the hydraulic ram you need, as that's where the steering stop is, not on the rack itself.

What's the problem with a cable shift, easy/hard to convert..?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Poodle Wrote:It's actually the hydraulic ram you need, as that's where the steering stop is, not on the rack itself.

What's the problem with a cable shift, easy/hard to convert..?

Cant see it being that hard, unbolt from donor car, reshape 306 hole, drill new bolt holes, bolt to 306. How hard can it be.

Problem is with the ML boxes cos they all come from cars with massive wheels they dont have particularly long FDRs so some of them would actually lower your top speed, you need the one with the shortest FDR which incidentally seems to be the rarest and most expensive on ebay.

I think when I looked we were talking about £500 plus delivery and theres no guarantee that I could fit it without a hydraulic clutch conversion so it was a fair gamble.
Thanks given by:
Hahha, typical, i'm beginning to think the best option would be to take a standard HDi box and stick the lowest FDR i can find in there.

Anything more complex than that and i'm thinking we may as well just pay someone to build a new box for the application. I suspect the cost wouldn't be far off - by the time you've mucked about buying two/three different boxes and combining bits until they work how you want - especially when you consider how much time you'd have to put into it.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My New Car Finance Idea! C.A.R. 25 5,839 01-09-2014, 09:43 AM
Last Post: C.A.R.
  Brilliant or Sad Idea? Dum-Dum 7 1,980 18-07-2013, 04:29 PM
Last Post: puglove
  What car with good mpg would be good for gravel roads? Amandaholo 21 6,615 28-12-2012, 06:39 PM
Last Post: ash240970