WVO vs SVO

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WVO vs SVO
So im on 100% again as i have an underpowered car anyway. There is a chap near me that sells veg oil filtered to 1 micron for 40ppl. Cba filtering my own again! Any thoughts on the winter running though? Ran 100% through last winter no issues. Well one non start issue due to going up north but a few boiling kettles of water over the pump and she went. Smile is wvo any worse. If so i wont bother
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Can't see it makes a difference to viscosity, can always thin it out with a dash of petrol if you're bothered.

Maybe stick some new glowplugs in if you haven't already.

Sort an inline fuel heater too?
Thanks given by:
Both mine and lus have new plugs in. Lu runs a mix so its fine as she doesn't really do the mileage i do. I like the standard filter housing with a penny mod personally. I reseal the bottom and filters get replaced regually with veg anyway. So you reckon no difference really then.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
I had a problem with waste 2 years ago when it was like -7 but just used abit of petrol after that lol
Thanks given by:
filter housing with a penny stuck in it will do nothing for a cold start though

Classic vid right here >

Thanks given by:
Yeah ive seen that before. Just lol. How would you suggest heating it then before start. Blow torch the pump? Lol
Thanks given by:
(14-11-2015, 09:32 AM)bashbarnard Wrote: Yeah ive seen that before. Just lol. How would you suggest heating it then before start. Blow torch the pump? Lol

inline fuel heater?
Thanks given by:
Like a glow plug jobbie one?
Thanks given by:
Just put 5-10% petrol in and you won't have any probs all winter.
Thanks given by:
I was going to hook up my spare coolant heater off the gsi on my xud
Thanks given by:
(14-11-2015, 09:51 AM)Uberderv Wrote: Just put 5-10% petrol in and you won't have any probs all winter.

Yeah but wheres the challenge in that! Lol.
Thanks given by:
Heater just isnt that effective.

40p a litre is a bargain tbh. So long as dewatered too.

I ran through a couple VERY harsh winters with WVO, just added 5% petrol and a little 2stroke oil.

Bosch glowies and regular filter changes...never failed to start after couple turns
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
my neighbor used to have a Discov, mixed new veg oil with derv in his tank.
shame HDi's don't like it
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
(14-11-2015, 10:59 AM)bashbarnard Wrote:
(14-11-2015, 09:51 AM)Uberderv Wrote: Just put 5-10% petrol in and you won't have any probs all winter.

Yeah but wheres the challenge in that! Lol.

If your looking for summit to do, build a filtering rig and buy even cheaper WVO. I personally think that mixing petrol with the WVO is better than heating it via the coolant system because you want lower viscosity at starting point not 10 min later when the engines warmed up.
Thanks given by:
(14-11-2015, 11:11 AM)Piggy Wrote: Heater just isnt that effective.

I ran through a couple VERY harsh winters with WVO, just added 5% petrol and a little 2stroke oil.

Bosch glowies and regular filter changes...never failed to start after couple turns

Went ahead and bought 200 litres of wvo from my guy. He used to supply me with wvo just not filterd. The stuff he sells is dewaterd and double filtered to 1 micron. Make sure i buy an extra filter monday. Really need to invest in some sort or heater to warm on the cold mornings.

Side note i only ever ran wvo for a couple of months in the summer.
Thanks given by:
(15-11-2015, 09:31 AM)bashbarnard Wrote:

Went ahead and bought 200 litres of wvo from my guy. He used to supply me with wvo just not filterd. The stuff he sells is dewaterd and double filtered to 1 micron. Make sure i buy an extra filter monday. Really need to invest in some sort or heater to warm on the cold mornings.

there are systems you can install (have installed), that switch between wvo & derv automatically and includes a fuel heater for the wvo
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
(15-11-2015, 10:36 AM)Magenta Sunset Wrote:
(15-11-2015, 09:31 AM)bashbarnard Wrote:

there are systems you can install (have installed), that switch between wvo & derv automatically and includes a fuel heater for the wvo

Christ i wont be going through that extreme. I was more thinking some glow plugs pre pump just to aid on start up.
Thanks given by:
electric heated closed loop system used to keep my fuel at 60c Wink#
i used the ceramic heating elements from the top of bosch fuel filters Wink

these were controlled by a temp controller

[Image: n_a4.jpg]

[Image: n_a3.jpg]

when the engine was up to temp the water would heat the fuel via a moded LDV filter assembly

[Image: n_a2.jpg]

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
I've used 100% veg before and also put in sloppy veg when it's i'be woken up to snow and didn't anticipate the snow!

Still ran absolutely fine - BUT i would chuck a little bit of petrol in for good measure
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
(14-11-2015, 09:29 AM)zx_volcane Wrote: filter housing with a penny stuck in it will do nothing for a cold start though

Classic vid right here >

Love this video
Thanks given by:
properly filtered mate, doesnt matter.. its the same stuff provided you can guarantee it doesnt have much palm oil in it, (itll gel at higher temps if it does) then it shouldnt be any issue
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Petrol, 2-stroke, Vegi-boost is the easiest way, change the pump timing to account for the longer burn time as well.

I always used to chuck the petrol in the veg as soon as I got it home, that way you'd never get caught out on a cold snap as your fuel was always mixed and ready to go.
Thanks given by: