1.4 HDi Question - Does rampant coolant use always mean...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1.4 HDi Question - Does rampant coolant use always mean...
... mean Head Gasket issues? I've got my mayonnaise on my dipstick( [Image: icon_lol.gif] ) and the oil is a healthy dark brown into black colour but I seem to be using a lot of coolant. Like from full to warning light in 100 miles...

I'm 75% sure there's no leak as there's been no puddles under the car and I can't spot any fluid in the engine bay and cannot see anything leaking with the bonnet up and the engine running.

Is there another possible cause for my car's newly found rampant coolant use?
CLUB RALLYE
||AVO Race GTX Coilovers||Signature Blue Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Hybrid ARB||21mm Torsion Bar||rich_w Flywheel||
Thanks given by:
(10-11-2015, 06:36 PM)Orta Wrote: ... mean Head Gasket issues? I've got my mayonnaise on my dipstick( [Image: icon_lol.gif] ) and the oil is a healthy dark brown into black colour but I seem to be using a lot of coolant. Like from full to warning light in 100 miles...

I'm 75% sure there's no leak as there's been no puddles under the car and I can't spot any fluid in the engine bay and cannot see anything leaking with the bonnet up and the engine running.

Is there another possible cause for my car's newly found rampant coolant use?

Get a sniff test done, and a pressure test on the coolant system. It has to be going somewhere. Have you checked the heater matrix?
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
I was going to say is it possible the waterpump is leaking? I've seen that on 2 DV4 engines but if you say there is no patches under the car...

Bit worrying that there is mayo on the dipstick. Oil would possibly be rising though if it is using that much coolant? What about under the filler cap?
Thanks given by:
I think that was meant to say 'no' mayo on dipstick?

EGR cooler leak possibly? A leak doesn't always result in puddles, sometimes it needs pressure to leak so just blows out and turns to steam quickly. As Jonny says, safest bet is to have the HG tested to rule that out first.
Thanks given by:
ahh that would make more sense now.
Thanks given by:
Egr cooler leaks tend to blow coolant out of the expansion tank, the exhaust mani pressure is usually a fair bit more than that of the coolant.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
id say his carpets are wet and the screen is misting up??

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Yeah I meant no mayo, no wet on carpets or windows steaming up. How do I go about getting hg checked??
CLUB RALLYE
||AVO Race GTX Coilovers||Signature Blue Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Hybrid ARB||21mm Torsion Bar||rich_w Flywheel||
Thanks given by:
Sniff test checks for exhaust in coolant (headgasket). Pressure test should show if it holds pressure and if not, any weak points in the system.
Thanks given by:
Undo the headertank cap and give it a rev, see if it bubbles the coolant.

Would be surprised if it had popped a gasket.
Thanks given by:
Cheers for all help guys. It really makes the difference. Having a nightmare with everything st the minute. Will check as you suggest and update
CLUB RALLYE
Thanks given by: