expected fuel rail pressure figure...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
expected fuel rail pressure figure...
as above, I have had access to a Delphi obd interrogation bit of kit, and the fuel pressure at idle, cold, was in the region of 300 bar ( fluctuating between 280 to 310 bar ) and rose to about 600 bar at 2k revs.

Is this a good expected reading or low/high ??

software also showed fuel leak and possibly fuel pressure regulator problem, so may be a dirty fuel pressure regulator ??

More terrifying, an ecu fault and heat plugs circuit 2??

fault codes where cleared ( but 2 remained, cant remember exactly what ) and car seems to go better, not driven enough for the occasional loss of power problem to re appear, but doing a good 150 mile trip on Thursday, with no problem hopefully, please god.

will try and post up the "report" its a pdf file.
Thanks given by:
Its should show a requested value for rail pressure and a real value if its any good, you compare these two for differences
Thanks given by:
ok, but what would be a good standard fuel rail pressure at idle ?

by "requested pressure" you mean that the ecu would "order" that pressure and the system would supply/fulfill that "order"....?

so, the ecu would post a "failure to fulfill the ordered pressure " sort of fault code ?? ie low pressure fault code ?
Thanks given by:
It's a 3D map so it's hard to say what your expected pressure should be, but it should be exactly what the Delphi kit is telling you. It's the actual pressure or the deviation you want to look in to.

Idle on some models is 280 and on some 300. Max pressure at full load high revs would be 1341 bar on the diagnostics.

Fit a new regulator, if it's broken there's a risk it can damage the ECU which might be why you have the other fault?
Ignore the heater plug faults, they nearly always have something relating to this on the early models.
HDI Tuning Ltd
www.hdi-tuning.co.uk
Thanks given by:
What codes remain? That's the important information, the ones logged originally could be unrelated historic codes from years ago that have never been cleared. I expect it'll be fpr control and heater circuit, but doesn't pay to assume.

As Steve says, the code is produced when deviation from requested pressure is too great, so you want to be checking the deviation values. As you have said, it's the difference between what the ecu has requested and what the fuel system has supplied. I don't know the allowable parameters for fuel pressure at idle, but 30 bar does seem a bit much, could be wrong though.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Thanks for the input, car must get me to new job interview tomorrow and back, then its VOR till tank, fuel system, full service and MOT, please god be good to me.

I suspect crap in the tank after Tesco fuel about 500 miles ago.
will try and post Delphi pdf file report now

10 P0380 Glow plug/heater circuit A
Pending codes in previous and current driving cycle (Mode 07)
ECU DTC Description
10 P00C8 Fuel Pressure Regulator Solenoid Supply Voltage Control Circuit
/ Open
Confirmed and stored codes (Mode 03)
Mechanic:
Date: 07/11/2015
Car licence no:
VIN:
Mileage:

this any good??

back Friday as nearly timed out.
Thanks given by:
As expected then, you can safely ignore the glow plug code. That other one is definitely a problem with the fpr, i'd be inclined to give it a clean and see how she goes.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Phew, back safe and sound with no hint of lack of power, even touch 85 for a minute whilst overtaking a truck on the race track that is the A55, about 90 miles in toto. Put some extra diesel ( morrisons ) in the tank for the journey, tank still about half full.

Car will be VOR until serviced and MOT'd. Will be removing the tank pump for tank "crap and water" inspection, pump clean and filter renewal. All the fuel supply and return lines will be flushed as best as possible. When that done will remove the FRP on the pump for examination.

Will report back with findings.

Thanks thank thanks poodle. and everybody.
Thanks given by:
Morrissons diesel!? That's probably your issue tbh, put some in that isn't full of veg...
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fuel Pressure Regulator JTaylor2005 3 2,158 11-04-2018, 07:30 AM
Last Post: mr_fish
Brick No fuel pressure Uberderv 13 3,063 04-11-2017, 05:26 PM
Last Post: Uberderv
  Interesting read about common rail diesel engines. JTaylor2005 1 1,021 24-07-2015, 11:00 AM
Last Post: Magenta Sunset