Egr valve problem

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Egr valve problem
Hello

The egr valve is causing problems on my 306 hdi. The small metal pipe that joints the inlet part passenger side got blocked on the small bend. So I cleaned this out but if you rev past 3k a puff of smoke comes from the egr valve.

The car feels like being held back sometimes pointing towards egr.

I could do with switching it off so it's not causing problems. I've heard just unplugging the solenoid does the job but what about the vac pipe as well?

I got a friend who can switch the engine light off if this comes on after?

Thanks
Thanks given by:
Fitting a blanking plate is the best option really, it can still leak after being unplugged.

EML shouldn't come on, it'll just leave a silent fault.
Thanks given by:
(08-11-2015, 11:28 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Fitting a blanking plate is the best option really, it can still leak after being unplugged.

EML shouldn't come on, it'll just leave a silent fault.

Quote:I've unplugged the solenoid and taken the pipe off the egr valve and blocked the end of the pipe.

But there still smoke coming from the egr valve when rev past 3k. So the hole egr valve system will need to be removed by the looks of things.

So 2 plates are needed but some people say you can block just one end or best to do both?
Thanks given by:
Well if you block the inlet end you wont get any exhaust in there...may get a bit blowing into the bay if its leaking though.

I have removed the whole system and blanked both on a previous car BUT the engine was out of the car, not sure you'd be able to access the exhaust side in the car.
Thanks given by:
If it's actually leaking out of the EGR system you're going to want to blank both ends. Not good for you breathing this in constantly, plus it's bad for performance...
HDI Tuning Ltd
www.hdi-tuning.co.uk
Thanks given by: Welshy_Pete
I have checked again and the smoke comes from the egr area. You rev to 3k you can see it coming out to the top of the engine. There a slight blow I can hear now as well.

The egr solenoid if that was stuck on open or closed could this cause the egr valve to smoke?

I can see the 2 torx at the top pipe. But on the egr manifold what's needed a spanner what size?

I have anther 306 hdi which I could try the solenoid on then if it closed unplug it again just an idea.
Thanks given by:
The egr flow should always be internal, whether the valve is open or closed. As Steve says, if it's leaking exhaust into the engine bay it's very broken and needs blanking at both ends, replacing the vacuum solenoid will not help.

Top part is allen head bolts, 5mm i think, bottom part is 10mm nuts iirc. You'll have a hell of a time accessing it, top engine mount off and leaning the engine forward should help.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(09-11-2015, 05:11 PM)pro_steve Wrote: If it's actually leaking out of the EGR system you're going to want to blank both ends. Not good for you breathing this in constantly, plus it's bad for performance...

(26-12-2015, 10:36 PM)Poodle Wrote: The egr flow should always be internal, whether the valve is open or closed. As Steve says, if it's leaking exhaust into the engine bay it's very broken and needs blanking at both ends, replacing the vacuum solenoid will not help.

Top part is allen head bolts, 5mm i think, bottom part is 10mm nuts iirc. You'll have a hell of a time accessing it, top engine mount off and leaning the engine forward should help.

I had another look today I can get to both top head bolts ok. Also the top bolt at the bottom bolt I can get to that. But the bottom bolt lowest one the engine mount will have to come off and lean forward for sure.

So the top engine mount I see 3 bolts come off . Then just another bolt on top of the engine mount?
Thanks given by:
Yep. Obviously put a jack under the sump to support the engine before undoing the mount, a piece of wood between the jack and sump is a good idea too.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by: Welshy_Pete
(29-12-2015, 06:14 PM)Poodle Wrote: Yep. Obviously put a jack under the sump to support the engine before undoing the mount, a piece of wood between the jack and sump is a good idea too.

I'm on the right track then good news thanks.
Thanks given by: