Any tips for setting the pump up guys

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any tips for setting the pump up guys
Evening all I've had a busy couple of weeks since buying my 306  Angry Head gasket popped so replaced it for a mls type fitted a new cambelt and aux belt plus tensioner, wheel bearing on the front, fexi hose on the rear, oil and filter plus fuel filter Smile

Anyway today the tuning started , 

Air filter 
De-cat
Removed the back box and replaced with straight pipe
EGR removed, both inlet and exhaust plated off
Boost gauge
Boost controller ball spring type

I'm running a Lucas pump, unsure on the turbo tbh but its boosting 15 psi happy. 

I've turned the fuel screw in roughly around three quarters of a turn and instant gain was felt,

I then increased the boost to 20psi which again felt good but felt a little lazy untill I wound the boost correction screw out half a turn then it really came alive. 

I saw on google that some said wind the boost correction screw all the way in till it stops then wind out two turns,
I did this but it felt like I lost the get up and go so wind it out to 5 turns and feels good again. ( is this to much? )

I've got black as boost comes on hard

This is my first time tuning a diesel  Rofl

Thanks Kev
Thanks given by:
This is one of the tuning issues you have with the lucas pump. There is not as much off boost fuel control so to speak so thats why you get a lot of black some. It is possible to get a virtually free smoke tune with them but it takes ages trying to set them up its a case of trial and error unfortunately. You may also want to fit a bosch ve pump on it as well. So much more control and better gains.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Later on I may goto a Bosch pump but that will only be if I go bigger turbo or front mount,

Just trying to figure out if I'm on the right track to getting a stage one tune.

But worried that I may have wound the boost correction screw out to far.

I know screwing the pump pressure screw in adds fuel

Does screwing the boost correction out add fuel or make it run leaner.

I know with petrol engines. Leaner spools better
Thanks given by:
There's no set amount of turns on any of the screws.
Just do whatever seems the best for you as far as smoke and poke goes.
The least amount of smoke with the best amount of go is what you want and as Bash says, it's all about fine tuning and lots of adjustment.
The lucas is a crude pump at best and a faff to tune, your time is better spent looking for a Bosch pump lines and injectors and tuning that.

Most of the adjustments you make on a Bosch are on the outside of the pump and there is no need to empty its contents into a container (and also some onto the alternator for good measure).

I would spend my time looking for a Bosch.
A fair tune can be had with a lucas but the "throttle " response with a well tuned bosch is world's apart, a lucas feels almost clockwork in comparison.
                                             [Image: 2ljm03k.jpg]

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
i had a tuned lucas and was pretty happy with it
i followed JPs guide for the most part then like the guys said alot of fine tuning
but in the end mine was something like;
 Turbo wound right in so i could just control it with the fuelling.
     Max fueling was at about 180deg and was getting 19 ish psi (apparently any higher or even that on a TMIC can decrease efficiency due       heat soak).
           Boost comp screw as i understands it, basically controls at what PSI the pump adds the extra fuel so the more you wind it out the sooner it adds fuel so you get more smoke as your not getting enough air till your turbo picks up, I had mine wound all the way in then out some.... maybe 2.5 i dunno it was abit of a compromise but if your careful you can control the smoke with your right foot Smile

I also (I dont know if would suggest it as it caused me a WORLD of pain, frustration and weeks of micro nano adjustments several times a day) but I adjusted the static timing but I WAY miss under stood what a fraction was so went to advance then to retarded and lost the original mark.
it didnt boost right, it didnt fuel right but after too long i managed to get it better than before i started, it was fantastic i gained a psi or so but it just generally felt sharper etc
my thoughts were if your increasing the fuel injection period your surely going to change the most efficient degree of injection so in an ideal world after tuning we would get the pumps retimed by a degree or so.

guys dont shoot me if some of it seems abit.....off, its only to my understanding so far but i was able to pull away from my brothers stage 1 HDI quite nicely
Thanks given by:
cheers for the advise fella's been playing and adjusting bit by bit and happy with where I have it now, revs freely boosts nice and smooth

actually really surprised by the old bus tbh, bit of smoke when boosting but hey ho ... no smoke no poke as they say!

next step lower the car about 40mm and maybe some gti6 alloys , well there on the xmas list
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pistion advance setting of pump Bosch niciou 6 2,204 20-06-2016, 11:17 AM
Last Post: niciou
  Setting up a bosch pump bashbarnard 6 1,939 18-07-2014, 11:49 PM
Last Post: Martin306
  lucas pump fuel screw setting toyo16 4 2,189 03-06-2014, 06:04 PM
Last Post: toyo16