HDI with a cone filter?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HDI with a cone filter?
Thumbs Down 
I have some parts lying round I just discovered in my shed from a few of cars, one includes a ramair filter brand new I bought for my old VXR, was wondering if the Hdi engine like cones or not? And anyone's opinion who does sport a cone filter on their hdi is appreciated.
Thanks given by:
Many people use the ramair filter, as long as it has a good cold air feed of some sort then go for it Smile it's mostly for induction noise to be honest. I don't think there is any real power gains.
Thanks given by:
I'm not sure the diameter of the cone will fit the Hdi so I'll have to sort something out if I were to try it
Thanks given by:
(29-10-2015, 09:29 AM)aaron_one Wrote: I'm not sure the diameter of the cone will fit the Hdi so I'll have to sort something out if I were to try it

Measure it up, you can get reducers on eBay. And maybe try it where the standard air box is and run a cold air feed pipe?

Thanks given by:
If you're only on stage 1 without an intercooler i really wouldn't bother with a cone to be honest, the engine is already sucking in a fair bit of hot air because of the lack of cooler and if you stick a cone in there that isn't enclosed (directly behind the rad too..) your charge temps will be pretty high. If it's entirely for noise, go for it but tbh I didn't think they made much of a difference in terms of noise
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Basically no, it's going to make absolutely no difference to power, it'll just sound shit and suck red hot air off the back of the radiator.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(29-10-2015, 11:04 AM)Ruan Wrote: Basically no, it's going to make absolutely no difference to power, it'll just sound shit and suck red hot air off the back of the radiator.

Didn't we prove the stock airbox made near bugger all difference? 

If not, something to try next time.
Thanks given by:
IIRC we did, it should make next to no difference and real world, it should improve things.

The shoddy pipe down the back that goes down to about 1.5" in places will be more of a problem than the stock airbox.

If you must, go get the airbox off of a 2.2HDi and stick a panel filter in.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I have always seen that pipe down the back and thought it looks dreadfully small. How hard would it be to just fabricate some pipework that would take its place? I presume quite hard to get in and out yeah?
Thanks given by:
This was tested properly back in the day and everything they tried either made no difference or made it worse lol. It's just as everyone else has said really, only worth doing if you're more bothered about noise than power.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I think I shall leave it then, thanks for the help people Smile now I can sell it haha
Thanks given by:
only reason i have a cone filter on the car is because there is absolutely no room with the pipework, for a standard airbox.

that said its not some shockingly overpriced K+N either its just an S2000 one.
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cone filter? JTaylor2005 9 2,226 19-02-2015, 09:13 PM
Last Post: Toms306
  stage 2+ cone filters and maf Just Sean 76 21,768 13-01-2013, 04:06 PM
Last Post: Mr Whippy