XSI Twin Turbo

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XSI Twin Turbo
I still wouldnt say thats correct.. Close maybe but still

Gt series are abit more modern than t series..
Thanks given by:
Think it's the closest I'm gonna get unless I contact Garrett for the right map, which doesn't sound like a bad idea actually.... Watch this space
Thanks given by:
They won't hand it out, under NDA as per usual.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
That sucks.. Worth trying anyway I suppose
Thanks given by:
Haven't been on in a while, but a few things have happened since my last visit.

Engines been pulled out, stripped down and rebored. Got 87mm wossner low comp pistons, xud11 crank, spoox lightweight flywheel and cg stage3 clutch (all going for balancing soon). Waiting on a quote for some custom rods.

Plans have changed for the turbo setup, I'll now be using 2 T28's in a parallel configuration, still sequential, so one for low rpm and both for high rpm. Got the two T28's from an r33! With only 600 miles on them since being fully rebuilt!

As soon as I get the rods I can rebuild the bottom end and start work on the head
Thanks given by:
Sorry it's been a while again guys!

lifes been a bit hectic past few weeks/months, had hardly any time for the car which saddens me deeply. However I did get a little time on it today!

Got the heater unit out, steering column, some sound deadening and brake servo.

got a little more stripping to do in the engine bay, then that can have a lick of paint. After that I can get the subframe cleaned up and reinstalled.

unfortunately still waiting on funds for rods
in the new year perhaps!
Thanks given by:
Ok so I've got a week off work next week so I plan on getting lots done on this, mainly getting things balanced and bottom end rebuilt, but Im still undecided as to whether or not I should switch to a 16v head?

Basically the turbos I'm using flow around 32 lbs/min at peak boost, and I'll be running 2 of them! So is it as simple as the head needs to flow at least 64 lbs/min? That's assuming both turbos do reach peak. I'll be getting the 8v head flow tested this weekend, so as long as it hits 64 lbs/min (perhaps with some porting and cam profiling), it should be good to use?

PugLee
Thanks given by:
My AP twin plate clutch arrived last night! Off for balancing tomorrow.
Thanks given by:
This needs pics!!!!!

Good work though
Thanks given by:
I'll be sure to get some up later after work
Thanks given by:
Just a pic of my sexy clutch! I'll get some of the car next week as work progresses

Thanks given by:
Good work, would be good to see photos of the block going together.

With the turbo setup, the T28's in sequencial will work, but as most have said it is an in-efficient use of that type of setup - but that being said there is nothing to stop you upgrading turbo's later down the track once all fiddling is ironed out block broken in etc, just make sure you allow the space/flanges/expenditure for these.

It's good to keep the enthusiasm and keep the ball rolling, its a minor thing that can be dealt with when the motor is running.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
It's going to take a lot of fettling and tweaking to get it to run properly buts that's something I've been prepared for since the beginning, I think as long as I get the timing right for the second turbos spool it should be ok. Only time will tell
Thanks given by:
Well despite having the week off work for the sole purpose of working on the car, I've done exactly zero hours with it! Frustrating doesn't even come close! But I'll do some tomorrow if it kills me.
Thanks given by:
What have you been doing just having tugs all day??
Thanks given by:
Haha if only! Long story short I've had uni work to do and an engine swap on a transit that couldn't wait
Thanks given by:
Good day on the car yesterday, finished stripping the engine bay out, got it cleaned up and painted 

Came out ok I reckon, not perfect but it's not a show car so I'm happy.

Next job is to get the subframe cleaned up and reinstalled with my vts rack
Thanks given by:
Picked up my balanced crank assembly yesterday afternoon and dropped off the cylinder head while I was there for porting and CNC valve contour, gotta wait about a month for that though because they've got a lot of work on.

Waiting on a quote for my rods, as soon as I hear back I'll give them the go ahead but not sure on the turn around time for those.

In the meantime I'll be carrying on with the engine bay, subframe, steering rack etc

Got a fair bit of wiring to sort out as well so there's plenty for me to be getting on with!
Thanks given by:
Can you not get in touch with zx_volcane he was doing the group buy on forged rods - many people have these and none have failed including his 240hp xud.
Thanks given by:
That's a group buy for xud rods, completely different small end I believe so won't work with my pistons. Pretty sure length is different too
Thanks given by:
Right, been a while! so a little update.

Should be getting my rods at some point in the week, then at least i'll be able to start rebuilding on the bottom end, once thats done I can measure piston potrusion and order a head gasket, then rebuild top end. Should have my cylinder head back shortly as well, they've had it for a few months now! chasing them up this week.

Currently in the process of getting quotes for shot peening the gearsets, as i my budget doesnt currently allow for a drenth straight cut set Sad

subframe is all cleaned up and ready to go, apart from I had to cut off one of the cups on the front mounting point, and cant seem to find a new one anywhere!!

Still a lot of wiring to get through too... I hate wiring...
Thanks given by:
Quafie gearkit will be suitable for you
Thanks given by:
Grinning like the bloody Cheshire Cat this evening!!

(09-10-2017, 10:03 AM)fatlapit Wrote: Quafie gearkit will be suitable for you

What sort of torque is their kit capable of? Doesn't seem to say on their website
Thanks given by:
proper job, none of this chinese shite.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
I have a set of rods from Robson Engineering, while I do agree usual chinese stuff isnt the best, has anyone actually blew a set of the chinky rods yet? I would definitely consider them.
Thanks given by:
its rpm and oil starvation that kills them, where a decent rod like a Farndon has that one small detail that is quite obvious on them addressed, there is an inherent weakness in every single example I've seen, coupled with the fact that they're made down to a price the quality control and tolerances just arent there.

[Image: 31993145984_7965a20f8a_z.jpg]

on the left is the remains of the common chinese rod, bearing had picked up and the rod let go big style on the cap.

on the right is a farndon rod subjected to no oil pressure, granted it has deformed and the bolts have bent when disassembled, but this was subjected to max rpm in an n-a engine for a few laps of castle combe, if I recall all sandy needed to replace was the rod and a few valves, whereas the former was rendered essentially 100% scrap other than the camshafts due to the carnage of a flailing conrod.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Who's is the chinese rod ? Was this from an XUD, I didn't know one had actually failed but interested to see what specs the block was before this happened.

I think there must be varying qualities available but if it comes down to a question of strength i've seen the chinese rods pushing HP way higher than the stock XUD/HDI rods would take.

The oil issue you mention above cannot be a huge problem as i've never heard anyone have an issue, but If this gets sorted I cannot see the actual strength of them being a problem if it is forged from the factory with a different design. What is the issue you mention with the oil starvation.
Thanks given by:
So my kent cams cam pulley turned up today, and it doesnt have any timing marks, so i'll have to time it up from scratch.

However, I cant find the angle past TDC at which the inlet is at full lift, anyone happen to know this little bit of info?

XU10J2C by the way
Thanks given by:
which cam?
Thanks given by:
standard cam
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up (SHOW TIME )project number 3 twin turbo ( SHOW TIME ) pioneer DJ paddy 77 30,286 28-07-2017, 08:53 PM
Last Post: pioneer DJ paddy
Video project number 2 twin turbo :-) how she looks now (-: pioneer DJ paddy 138 56,515 03-03-2016, 04:31 PM
Last Post: pioneer DJ paddy
  Daves Compound Twin turbo XUD Dave 333 137,136 11-09-2015, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Dave