Hdi not starting occasionally

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hdi not starting occasionally
I wouldn't personally say that the lift pump is so loud that it's obvious from the drivers seat. Certainly I never consciously notice mine.

Lift the drivers side rear seat base and put your ear to the black plastic cap and get someone else to switch the ignition round to the 2nd click - the pump should run for a second or two to prime, and then run continuously under cranking or with the engine running.

It's the two thick wires for the pump, the two thin wires for the level sender.

Reliably starting 2nd turn of the key doesn't sound like a lift pump failing to me though - they usually need a thump to temporarily come back to life.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Maybe I just have bat like hearing? Doesn't everyone wait for the pump to stop promontory before cranking? Confused

Auto correct really doesn't like pruning ffs!

Auto correct really doesn't like pruning ffs!

Priming!
Thanks given by:
As powerandtorque says tbh, you'll definitely hear it like that. The lift pump can fail in different ways, sometimes they just work intermittently, sometimes the pumping efficiency drops off and the car starts to cut out under high load, sometimes they start to seize up/knacker the brushes and need a smack to set them going.

Much as i trust Steve's ability as a mapper, he hasn't got a crystal ball - if there's some drivers or a module in the ecu that was getting a bit tired there's no way to know until it fails. That said, it's the most expensive thing to test fully, so check everything else first.

Tom, we already know you're hyper-sensitive to everything, i think even if you didn't buy noisy lemons all the time you'd still be able to hear every little noise lol. Wink
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I'm just hoping I find the issue soon so I can get it sorted, annoying me! I'll check the pump after work if I can find myself a 12v battery Smile
Thanks given by:
Okay well the pump primes so I guess I'll have to put it on a diagnostics machine, will any garage do it for me and how much for?
Thanks given by:
my local garage, about £35 a pop Sad
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Got the post code?
Thanks given by:
Pop over and I'll stick PP on it for free. Tongue

I do have a brass ring if you want it btw, PM me as I'm now off for dinner lol.

You're probably right Poodle, every new noise is a worry though, and that's roughly every 4.35 seconds... lol
Thanks given by:
I'd definitely come along but it's quite far haha, I'd be interested in the Cyclones as well!
Thanks given by:
Yeah I know lol, most places are quite far from here. lol

If you want the ring posted, just let me know. Smile
Thanks given by:
Sorry to revive this 3 year old thread but any information about how this was resolved would be welcome as i have a very similar case going on.

Starting issues have plagued the car's existence and they've come and gone randomly for that last 5 years. Now it's got to the point where the randomness has increased to 'one day on one day off' frequency.
Thanks given by:
Had a quick look n the OP hasn't been on the site for over 2 years so don't hold your breath for an answer. Go to the HDi section & start a new post. Give a full description of the issues n what has or hasn't been done to date to diagnose it. I'm sure some of the derv heads on here will have some suggestions.
Thanks given by: