Practicality of the cabriolet?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Practicality of the cabriolet?
Hi all, 

Me and missus have just found out were expecti g our first little'un. 
I have a 306 cabriolet and despite the ongoing niggles its okay but.. we have thought about getting something more child friendly really. Theres two of us and we struggpe to get a full weeks shopping in the boot and on the back seat. Which were not going to be able to use the back seat when we have a baby and boot is going to be taken up by baby prams etc. Yeah we could get home delivery etc but even clothes shopping wont be easy and me and the other half will still want to do things together like shopping n stuff. 

Is it really practical for a baby?. Im 6ft3 and my seat is and has to be quite far  back and leaves very little room for a child seat in the back also my other half has to have her seat rather far back too otherwise I cant see when setting away from junctions etc so space in the back is pretty limited too. 

We have also both agreed that we wont be having the top down with the baby in as in the back you sit higher than front passengers and plus... its pretty windy in the back too. So not like were going to have the advantage of the roof either. The front seat option is there but... wouldn't put a baby in the front as i wouldnt trust the pass airbag not go off even if deactivated in fairness. 
The other point too is the baby seats have quite a bit of height to the bases too so for example.. the babys head will be inline with ours meaning if there is a crash etc touching wood! Its not going to be the safest bet either. 

Is it time to rid the cab?... plus like a say its been costing us every month, perhaps its an expense we wont be able to afford ahen the baby arrives. Plus.. can i really expect my pregnant fiance to be clambering in and out of a low slung cabriolet ? Really... 

Thanks in advance but just dunno whats for the best in fairness and hope some folk on here might have solutions or recommendations

Thanks again

Rob
Thanks given by:
Time for a diesel 5 door lx spec 306 my friend lol, to be fair I have s16 seats in mine, two boys 2 and 9 and never had anything but 306's, you'll get a buggy and other stuff in the hatchback boot....Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
As, apparently, is the trend. Scrap it and buy a Megane.

Or a Volvo.
Or Saab.
                                             [Image: 2ljm03k.jpg]

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
HDi estate, more than big enough and with a stage 1 will be a great daily, or if you want more fun then stage 2 is reasonably cheap and still reliable if you plan carefully and do it well.

Volvo V50 is a very good option if you're wanting to get something other than a 306. Go for the 2.0D (136 HDi) and you'll have a very economical, comfy and practical family bus.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
(22-10-2015, 06:06 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: HDi estate, more than big enough and with a stage 1 will be a great daily, or if you want more fun then stage 2 is reasonably cheap and still reliable if you plan carefully and do it well.

Volvo V50 is a very good option if you're wanting to get something other than a 306. Go for the 2.0D (136 HDi) and you'll have a very economical, comfy and practical family bus.

Exactly this tbh, I work out of my estate, and can comfortably get my work gear in the boot, as well as the babies buggy, and all 3 kids in the back seat. ThumbsUp

Just make sure you get something that isn't a complete nail to start with. /selftroll
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yeah i have an estate and a kid. It works fine plenty of room for baby rubbish in the boot.

Plus cabby boots are horrendously small
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Congrats on the great news!
I do love the cabby bud but as a father of 5 who has seen the 5th gear cabby roll over test no child of mine will ever get in a 306 cabby!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd2UOK867zE
Estates are great with plenty protection from a rear ender and the load capacity is huuuuge (CR250 big) when needed if you flatten all seats except the drivers!
Pick well and it will cost next to nothing to run and pay itself off in the first month!
Thanks given by:
You sound like you've already made your mind up.

I always found the cab rather practical it it's own unique way.
Thanks given by:
My wife got in and out my my Saab with no problems, its not THAT much lower.

Seat forward (they slide forward when you use the handle on the side I assume?) Standing in footwell facing said child.

MUCH easier than putting them in from the side in a 5 door

My son is 2 now (and huge) and his legs are only just sticking out over the seat. Youll be amazed how little room they need.

Get yourself to mothercare, (they do a club I think anyway, which may be worth signing up to) and loiter around the baby seats looking lost until someone comes to help. They have seats you can try in your car. Before you get rid of the cabby, you should at least TRY the baby seat in there!
Thanks given by: