A quick trackday write up...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A quick trackday write up...
Hi Gents,

I've posted this on the GTi6 site and my build thread, but thought i'd share in here in case it was of interest!

Just a little write up on the open pit lane track day @ Bedford Autodrome on Monday this week...

So with 2 little ones and a hectic life/job etc it came to Sunday night and 12 hours before we are due to convoy down to what was forecasted to be a sunny (or what actually transpired to be rainy) Bedfordshire I started 'preparing' the car...

Tyre pressures, coolant, oil, brakes, - all present & topped up, a good wash & polish and we are ready for the off!

04:30am - Alarm goes off...***** that is early (and I normally get up at 5:30am) but christ that was early

05:10am - Convoy assembled (Stage 3 Focus ST, A very tasty stripped out Leon Cupra with the biggest brakes you have ever seen, and a Cosworth honed, stupidly fast and setup Astra Coupe Turbo) - so yes I was at least 130bhp short...

[Image: convoy_zps3q3zrop5.jpg]

Remarkably we arrived at Bedford at 07:45am with time to drool over a carpark full of M3's, 400bhp Mk3 Fiesta's, and an Octave VRS with a cone filter poking through the bonnet ?! Sadly its really wet, NOT what the bloody BBC reliably told us but it would certainly add to the entertainment value for spectators

09:00am - Briefing done, 89db at 4500 rpm with Cat was a surprisingly high readout (more than any of the cars in convoy...)

09:30am - On track for siting lap, now i've done Bedford before, it was always reassuringly open and 'safe' but the new additions have added a new and much needed element of complexity and it is a great circuit. It is still REALLY wet and the back of the 306 has already informed me it would like to overtake the front if at all possible!

10:00am - Track open, sit back, watch the nutters get their steam blown off, M4 comes spinning past the pits, and I boldly state "i've never spun here and don't plan to today...."

10:30am - We're off, car feels fantastic, the Satchshift has transformed how the car performs, you really feel the gears through the gearstick, tarmac through the wheel and the chassis through the buckets, its massively engaging and tactile - if bloody loud without any sound deadening.

Anyway, 1st lap out, its wet still, feels good but tyres not warming up that quickly, over confidence, caffeine, and early start all together result in the inevitable, right in front of the bloody pits!!!

[Image: 508CC209-2D54-4925-B397-01BDBD9586BB_zpsfv7cvf5s.jpg]

It felt like I'd smashed something, temporarily it wouldnt move (or at least it felt like it...) In hindsight i'm annoyed with myself, just crap driving, cold tyres, wet, turned in off throttle but that is why i love Bedford, brushed off, cleaned up and out we went to continue the day Smile

https://youtu.be/vnBrylw5N8E

So the rest of the day went without a hitch, the car, firstly it dried up (hallelujah!) i mean what a car, for a cheap and cheerful track car it was exceptional, with a real minority of cars lapping faster (with the exception of a tuned Megane 260 (thoroughly nice bloke), a handful of bonkers Caterhams, the M4 and a Supercharged Monaro)

Despite a 130bhp short fall, on a fast open track, my little 162k mile, 18 year old 306 gallantly marched around and around the track, using 2 tanks of fuel, and overtaking all of the cars that we came down with, along with loads of Evo's, Impreza's, 911's, C63's and one extremely well driven and v fast Scirocco...

Here are a few clips with the other cars metioned, some of which I am well and truly in overdrive mode but hell that is part of the fun!

https://youtu.be/p7S5TMZi9Ks

https://youtu.be/hPkTiVnUZ9Y

https://youtu.be/ncROLN2VkYI

2 tanks of Super Unleaded later and she was a tad dirty (those wheels were white....)

[Image: 1F618D1D-A33F-4795-97EE-628518EC9187_zpstdy5ahvv.jpg]

For anyone considering a 306 as a track day car, getting on track, or heading to Bedford, I cannot recommend all 3 opportunities, an utterly brilliant, exhausting, and exhilarating day in equal measure, bring on the next!
Thanks given by:
Great write up and glad you had a great day!
Not been on track now for a couple of months and missing that ability to go flat, flat out. I can't on the road as its too quick around corners
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
Yes I have the same problem on the road! Gotta love lightweight and sticky tyre combo!
Thanks given by:
(21-10-2015, 08:37 PM)adam b Wrote: Great write up and glad you had a great day!
Not been on track now for a couple of months and missing that ability to go flat, flat out. I can't on the road as its too quick around corners

Was it you holding it flat through the first turn at pugfest?

As said on the build thread, fantastic write up Smile
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
ahhhh want to get out on track again!
Thanks given by:
Do it - i'm already pining for the next session!
Thanks given by:
What exhaust setup do you have?
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
(23-10-2015, 07:45 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote:
(21-10-2015, 08:37 PM)adam b Wrote: Great write up and glad you had a great day!

Was it you holding it flat through the first turn at pugfest?

As said on the build thread, fantastic write up Smile

More often than not this year yes.
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Buying a car (write off) advice Chris_90 27 5,047 26-02-2017, 09:44 PM
Last Post: Chris_90
  How much to write an app? Redordead89 12 2,510 01-03-2016, 08:37 PM
Last Post: chylledapps
  write off fgrc76 31 6,130 11-10-2015, 04:30 PM