How long to change discs and pads

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How long to change discs and pads
Going to change my discs and pads on the front this week sometime, how long does it take per side and what tools are needed?
Thanks given by:
Torx bits to remove the disc retaining screws, then just a socket set and ratchet Smile

Depends how quick u are lol, about an hour for it all, maybe less maybe more.
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Don't forget Copper grease and something to push Pistons back
Thanks given by:
Yeah, I was quite surprised just how easy a job this was! Definitely won't be paying a mechanic to do it ever again!

As said, a socket set, ratchet, and torx bits (T30 iirc) to get the retaining screws out, and give or take an hour depending how quick you are. Oh yeah, and something to squeeze the pistons back. Wink
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Might take a bit longer if it's your first time, but it's an easy enough job, about an hour to do both sides. Smile
Thanks given by:
Okay thanks for that, I'll have to pick up some copper grease tomorrow, hopefully work have some I can pinch
Thanks given by:
I use proper Pagid cera-tec instead of copper grease for brake stuff now. Shouldnt have any issues with copper grease if you get it free though lol.
Thanks given by:
I tend not to put any copper great etc on the pads, as long as you get the carriers nice a clean with a wire brush/file and the pads are nice and free in the carriers that be fine. I look at is as the brake dust etc sticks to the copper grease and then may cause the pads to stick a bit. That's the way I look at it anyway

But yeah take about a hour to do
Thanks given by:
Squeeze the pistons back with the ratchet while the old pads are still in, just put it in and pry, Matt's top tip....lol
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
G-Clamp would do although you could get a piston winder for about £18ish, its a very handy lil tool to have in your toolbox Wink
[Image: 9fa12c59-0c3d-4413-968d-6a7840ff068f.jpg]
Stage 1 HDi DTurbo Diablo 5dr, "Dee-Dee"
Thanks given by:
Make sure you take the cap off the fluid reservoir before squeezing pistons back, otherwise it's a great way to find weak seals in your master cylinder lol. I'd use proper brake grease as well, but there's nothing wrong with a bit of copper slip. Clean up the faces of the carrier and the sliders while you're there too, careful not to twist the brake hoses when you bolt the carriers back on.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Whoops yes good tip ^^^^^ cap off brake fluid reservoir, put an old rag round it in case of spillage too.
Thanks given by:
There's a vent hole, no need to take the cap off tbh
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(15-10-2015, 07:04 AM)welshpug Wrote: There's a vent hole, no need to take the cap off tbh
surely makes it easier to push the pistons back I you do though. Smile
Thanks given by:
Is it essential to use grease is it?
Thanks given by:
Do not use any old grease, otherwise it'll just melt when it gets hot and drip it all over the braking components - not good.

Use copper grease and red rubber grease for the sliders.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
you may also have to suck some fluid out of the m/cyl res, old pad wear, disc thickness and fluid level dependent....brake fluid is/was a great paint stripper.....how "black" is the fluid??

murphies law says you may have to drill the torques disc screws......a wire brush is also a good tool to have........and a mask or well ventilated area......

do one side at a time, and then fit the wheels back on, BFC time??
Thanks given by:
(15-10-2015, 06:52 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: Whoops yes good tip ^^^^^ cap off brake fluid reservoir, put an old rag round it in case of spillage too.

yes definitely remember to remove the cap... and dont get angry with the piston and then put it between the jack and the car to get it back in...
Thanks given by:
(15-10-2015, 08:32 AM)aaron_one Wrote: Is it essential to use grease is it?

I don't think it is as long as everything moves freely
Thanks given by:
One thing I see a lot of people do as a rookie error.
When you try to push the piston back, don't expect it to go with a nice easy movement. Instead, find your prying tool of choice (I use a big flat head) and just apply pressure to the piston and it will creep in. I see so many people trying to shock them with loads of force and it just won't have it lol
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
just took me 4 hours to do a disc rear beam brake change nd oil change!
bloody handbrake levers were seized

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Well it's going terribly, one wheel but sheered off, both cv boots are non existent and I think the brakes need bleeding. Needless to say it's going to be a weekend job
Thanks given by:
Welcome to french car ownership! lol
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
This is my 5th French car I knew i was in for a rough ride haha
Thanks given by:
Changed them finally today, however when I put the wheel back on I spun it to see if it spins freely but the drivers side binded on a certain point, is this normal until the pads wear in?
Thanks given by:
No...
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
What would cause something like that and a break squeak constantly while driving?
Thanks given by:
Warped discs or stuck pads usually.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Fingers crossed it's a stuck pad and not a brand new warped disc
Thanks given by:
Did you clean up and grease the sliders?

And a very important part is to clean the face of the hub before fitting new discs. Essential tbh
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by: