Hdi cutting out/batt light flashing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hdi cutting out/batt light flashing
Howdy, faithful old nail W reg hdi 90 with 190k . I've seen the battery light flash on every so often but it cut out completely today, I managed to coast to a side road where it restarted after a min or two. EML light was on but I couldn't get a code off it with my reader which happened to be in the car. This is my first diesel so any known tip's appreciated !!
Thanks given by:
Grab your battery clamps (push down type???) and give them a good twist, if one has stretched it will be ever so slightly loose and will need replaced or use a ringpull to take up the gap
Thanks given by:
Any joy yet?
Thanks given by:
Battery clamps are nice and tight thanks, got a feeling the belt may be slipping a bit and the drop in charge may have triggered the stop solenoid?
Thanks given by:
There's no stop solenoid on these, if it's died while driving i imagine the alternator hasn't been charging for a while and the ecu has shut things down. You mentioned the belt slipping, has it been squealing then? If not, I'd check out your main earths and positive lead connections and if they're fine get your alternator tested. It should put out about 13.5-14V at idle, can check it with a multimeter.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Smacks dodgy earth to me.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by: