2.0 HDI Alternator belt sprung adjuster pulley bouncing.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2.0 HDI Alternator belt sprung adjuster pulley bouncing.
Just fitted a new alt/aircon/pas belt and noticed that the sprung self adjusting pulley is bouncing up and down on tickover. Is this normal?

If you watch the video, you can see that the the nearest pulley is obviously steady and shows a clear edge, but the small one between that and the crank pulley is bouncing. Not easy to make out I know ,but it's doing it, and also is making that slight "wrrrrrrr" sound. It clears when the revs increase, but I only have two hands, so can't demo that.

http://vid81.photobucket.com/albums/j226...eo0012.mp4
WoW! That was cheap!  Inlove
Thanks given by:
I'd be checking your bottom pulley, it sounds like that may be starting to move about. The tensioner looks OK to me, certainly not dead yet!
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
I replaced the tensioner, belt, and a second hand crank pulley this still happened. Then I replaced crank pulley with brand new corteco solved the problem for me. exact same symptoms (bouncing tensioner-stopping with revs)
Thanks given by:
Ah, thanx for the info guys.
The crank pulley looks ok static though. By that I mean it doesn't show any signs of being eccentric. I know it's a two piece jobby and looked for signs of it this afternoon since I have seen pics of how it appears when they go wafty. I'll try and watch it with the engine running tomorrow after work.
Am i right in thinking the Pug 307 pulley is a solid one and will fit?
WoW! That was cheap!  Inlove
Thanks given by:
I think the visual signs at the time were orange rust around the inside bolt of the pulley, also any cracks in the middle rubber ring.
There was a solid revision for the 307 but i couldnt say for the fitting to 306.
Cheers
Thanks given by:
It fits and works just fine, used them for years. Iirc there's a 4mm difference in diameter, makes virtually no difference in operation. It's not entirely solid, but does seem to be of a more durable construction.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulley Noise, Belt Slipping Squealing sometimes when steering ollieh17 1 1,044 15-12-2016, 11:05 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  Alternator pulley Deangatt 4 1,161 21-07-2015, 09:45 PM
Last Post: Deangatt
  crank pulley/de air con and belt pug306driver 7 2,844 24-06-2015, 12:46 PM
Last Post: Poodle