Anyone use winter tyres?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone use winter tyres?
Can anyone recommend a particular brand/model? 

Looking to get a set for both cars, so thought i'd get input from you lovely folks first Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Thought about Michelin Crossclimates? I haven't used any but they seem a better option than swapping between summer and winter tyres.
Thanks given by:
when it starts getting real bad il change from my proxies to some rainsport3s ive got and not used yet

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
ive used ad08's all year round dont see any point in "winter tyres" personally.
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
Thanks given by:
Rainsport 3's and any other summer tyre is useless in the winter when the snow comes down, seriously! Winter tyres make the 306 a 4x4 beater on any road in the snow, up or down!
Thanks given by:
I've used Alpin A4, Federal things and Vred Snowtrac 3.

The michelins were bloody amazing on the impreza. Just incredible what I could drive up in 10" snow.
The Federals were old and basically dangerous
The Vreds i've had on my van all year round for two years and are brilliant at all times, even with 20k miles on (6mm left lol)

I've been looking at M&S tyres for the 306 as I find AD08R a bit crap on mud all year round, but looks like i'm getting the van back soon so hope I wont have to bother Smile
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
Another vote for Michelin Alpins and Vredestein Snowtrac 3, got them for the 306 and they are the mutts nuts!
Thanks given by:
(12-10-2015, 08:13 PM)adam b Wrote: I've used Alpin A4, Federal things and Vred Snowtrac 3.

The michelins were bloody amazing on the impreza. Just incredible what I could drive up in 10" snow.
The Federals were old and basically dangerous
The Vreds i've had on my van all year round for two years and are brilliant at all times, even with 20k miles on (6mm left lol)

I've been looking at M&S tyres for the 306 as I find AD08R a bit crap on mud all year round, but looks like i'm getting the van back soon so hope I wont have to bother Smile

I was looking at the snowtrac 3's earlier.

I don't normally bother with winter tyres as i enjoy the drifting lol but i have to wake up at 5.30am already to get to work, just want to make sure the snow doesn't affect me too much in the E46
Thanks given by:
Are snow tyres really gonna help with RWD? Confused
Thanks given by:
I could contact my friends in Austria - see what they use - ?
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
(12-10-2015, 08:56 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Are snow tyres really gonna help with RWD?  Confused

Why wouldn't they?  Confused

I'd still love the back end to slide when i want it to, just don't want to be stuck going uphill etc
Thanks given by:
tyre sox or chains on the driving wheels?
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
(12-10-2015, 09:20 PM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: tyre sox or chains on the driving wheels?

That would be way too much hassle to fit/remove everytime you go from snowy roads to busy roads which have no snow and i'm pretty sure chains are illegal?
Thanks given by:
Dunlop Winter Sports here, used them on most variants from 15 to 17" rims, Bloody good along with good reviews too, got me to Germany and back in the last Bad snow we had, even hit -30 in some Fog in france.
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
2016 Castle Combe GT championship class winner
Thanks given by:
I've used Kleber Quadraxers which I found to be good, and very reasonably priced. They are classed as an all season tyre but have M&S rating and have the snow symbol for meeting standards in snow conditions - in the snow I was going up hills in the 306 that other cars couldn't. Also seem to have reasonable efficiency and wet grip ratings.
Thanks given by:
(12-10-2015, 09:21 PM)Iceman299 Wrote:
(12-10-2015, 09:20 PM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: tyre sox or chains on the driving wheels?

That would be way too much hassle to fit/remove everytime you go from snowy roads to busy roads which have no snow and i'm pretty sure chains are illegal?

ifaik, nope & nope.
I've used chains to get home (live on a hill) when there was a sudden snow locally.
takes about 5-10 min with practice.
Tyre sox are even easier, (we have them issued for our fleet vans). they fit like those vinyl spare covers on 4x4's. slip the top over, roll fwd 1/2 a revolution, slip remaining side over.

drive away at a slow to moderate speed.
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Can't recommend winter tyres enough, make an enormous difference. First time i used them i bought some cheap remoulds and once the temperature was down to near freezing they were better than the pe2s in most situations. I used 185/60/15s for a touch more ground clearance and less aquaplaning, how much difference that made i'm not sure though. They don't wear as fast in cold weather either.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
good to know
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
(12-10-2015, 08:56 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Are snow tyres really gonna help with RWD? Confused

Decent tyres are always going to help. Ime with RWD cars extra weight in the boot is really needed as well. When I first started driving we had some decent snowy winters. I had a couple of Mk 5 Cortinas and a Mk 2 Carlton and always got where I wanted to go. My parents house was a building site at the time so I used to just pile bricks in the boot.
Thanks given by:
Never bothered with winter tyres.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
I have used Dunlop Winter Sports and they were good, but I am planning to buy a set of Nokian WR D4. They have good reviews and they are made for Nordic regions and not central europe.
Thanks given by:
(12-10-2015, 07:54 PM)Stef205 Wrote: ive used ad08's all year round dont see any point in "winter tyres" personally.

Probably because the UK doesn't have real winters.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
I've used winter tyres for 5/6yrs now, on both cars.

So much more grip generally at temps below 10C and in the wet. Passed many a stuck 4x4. Pulled one or two out.

Plus always keeps my summer wheels/tyres from winter wear/tear and a chance to refurb!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
winter tyres aren't just for snow!.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Kleber of vred snowtrac are the best Smile well worth having! not just better in snow but better in any adverse weather conditions.
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Continental TS830P on my Golf's winter alloys for two main reasons, 1) to enable my wife to drive anywhere with the best possible provision in winter, given she's from a country where it doesn't freeze and 2) to protect my car. As above, they're not just for snow. I find they offer much better grip even on damp/mushy autumnal roads also. Handy of course that they are a couple of inches smaller wheeled than the originals.

I did 40K a year commuting in my HDi without winter tyres, but then it was worth peanuts and it didn't really matter much if i stacked it. The golf is a very different story. Now i've got them, i'd always go out of my way to run them I feel - it's not much of an inconvenience to get a set of wheels out the shed every 6 months when the wheels would be off for a deep clean anyway.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Thanks for all the input guys Big Grin

I've never bothered with winter tyres, knowing they do make a difference not just in snow. 

Main reason for buying some now is for the wife doing the school run with the two little brats. I've also started a new job recently where I can't risk being late at all.
Thanks given by:
"can't risk being late"

Translation: "need to know i can exit that roundabout at 70 even in a blizzard."
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(13-10-2015, 07:39 PM)Poodle Wrote: "can't risk being late"

Translation: "need to know i can exit that roundabout at 70 even in a blizzard."

Pretty much lol
Thanks given by:
Cant recommend specifics as I've only had a couple of sets but both sets were awesome. As soon as the temperature gets into single figures the are so much better. Doesn't matter if it's wet or dry, snowy or icy they are better. You could probably run them from then the clocks go back all the way through.

I bought my current ATs as they were marked as being for Mud and Snow so should be better in the cold than standard ATs
Thanks given by: