mpg and smoke?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mpg and smoke?
Alright guys Smile I have always had a bit of a smokey car. Just thinking whether it would be worth changing the MAF sensor. I don't mind spending the money as I plan to keep the car for quite a while. Also what mpg do you guys reckon is good for these cars? At best I get about 48 and that's driving proper carefully on just motorways and regular a and b roads.
Thanks given by:
I can't remember what I used to average, but I'm sure it was round the same as you
Thanks given by:
55mpg average here regardless of weight, trailer, remap, driving like an arse, cruising at 90 etc.... Just didn't seem to matter, was always the same over a tankful lol!
Thanks given by:
Varies car to car depending on mechanical condition and driving style. Ive averaged about 48 in the last two years, had it as low as 40 but that was purely round town with a tonne of stop and start, max ive had is 52 nearly entirely motorway.
MAF wont affect the MPG I wouldn't have thought unless its goosed, and you can really tell when its goosed, car drives like crap!
Thanks given by:
Maf has a significant effect on mpg, even when it's not completely dead. Should be getting 55mpg+ on the motorway at a steady speed anywhere under 80. However, I'm going to hazard a guess that your problem is down to a boost leak. Did you ever test the system properly after your last few threads?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Couldn't find a genuine leak anywhere really. There was a leak on the intake side of the turbo where that silly rubber joint is but tbf the guy that did the test just put a cable tie round that nice and tight and it pretty much stopped it. Although I would have no idea how to get that off and properly fix it. (I did try but I couldn't get that pipe out of the back of the engine at all) haha

Having owned a corsa I have always though of a MAF as a replaceable component after about 60-80k as they always degrade over time due to the contamination etc.
Thanks given by:
Fair enough, try a new maf then.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Black smoke with exhaust and egr valve smoke in engine Welshy_Pete 35 12,103 30-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Poodle