High idle

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High idle
Bit of an annoying issue with the estate it has started to do lately. When it just ticking over he idle seems to be high. Can vary from 1000rpm up to 1250rpm. Is a bit annoying as when going slow the engine is forcing it on. When it does it if I switch the engine off and then back on it will be ok for a bit then back to idling high again

Doesn't have any faults in it though. I did change the tps for another 2nd hand as I thought that could be the issue. But no change.

Not sure what else it could be? Poss temp sensor? Any help/idea much appreciated
Thanks given by:
sticky throttle cable?

try to (when it does it) hook your foot under the throttle pedal and gently lift it
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Hmm I try that later but pretty sure the cable is ok.
Thanks given by:
Does the tps definitely go back to the stop? Failing that i'd be checking the fpr, excessive rail pressure could cause high idle iirc, a quick look on your live diags will tell you - check requested vs actual fuel rail pressure and fpr duty cycle.

Could be temp sensor i guess, would be surprised though, they don't have a high idle even when it's -8 outside. Any smoke? Could be oil finding it's way down the inlet. How bad is the injector rattle? Leaky injectors...?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I think these idle at 1250rpm with the TPS unplugged so does sound like it should be TPS related. Any damaged wiring to it maybe?
Thanks given by:
I'll look into it a bit more cheers guys. It stopped doing it for a week then has started doing it the last couple of days

I'll try and report back in the next few days
Thanks given by:
Get the thing on planet. ThumbsUp
Thanks given by:
Hmm, does sound like TPS. Can you pinch a known good one to check it?
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
power steering pressure switch?

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
I was going to suggest MAF, but I don't know if yours has one. otherwise i'd also be thinking TPS. gave mine a liberal dose of WD between the moving bits - seemed to work.
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
(30-09-2015, 01:10 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I think these idle at 1250rpm with the TPS unplugged so does sound like it should be TPS related.  Any damaged wiring to it maybe?

THEY THROW THE EML IF IGNITION IS TURNed on with the tps unplugged
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Alright Tose, no need to shout. Tongue

You're correct and obviously it's not fully broken as you can't drive a HDi without a TPS input lol. Could be 'working' but giving false readings though, particularly if there's damaged wiring somewhere, I'm not sure if that would throw the EML.
Thanks given by:
(30-09-2015, 02:41 PM)mr_fish Wrote: Get the thing on planet. ThumbsUp

Will do at the weekend

(30-09-2015, 02:59 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: Hmm, does sound like TPS. Can you pinch a known good one to check it?

I got another i can try but im not sure that is the issue as when i swapped it for another first time round it still did the exact same issue

(30-09-2015, 04:01 PM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: I was going to suggest MAF, but I don't know if yours has one. otherwise i'd also be thinking TPS. gave mine a liberal dose of WD between the moving bits - seemed to work.

Funny you mention the MAF, I had a MAF fault some up the other day which i had in the past as well but this wouldn't clear this time so fitted a new MAF and now that seems ok. Dont think its any thing to do with the idle issue though
Thanks given by:
Was going to look into it this weekend but it was idling fine so i didn't bother. I guess ideally i want to plug it into planet when its playing up?
Thanks given by:
Yeah pretty much.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Been driving the estate a bit more the last week and it doesn't seem to be playing up any more Smile
Thanks given by:
Hopefully just a dry electrical connection somethere then, good stuff.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hdi high idle Steve1990 21 5,293 25-10-2017, 04:21 PM
Last Post: Welshy_Pete
Question EML, high idle, revs taking time to drop??? highwayman306 13 2,892 07-08-2015, 06:41 PM
Last Post: highwayman306