New brake caliper sticking

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New brake caliper sticking
Had a problem with my rear near side brake which was siezed.

After several attempts to unseize the current caliper I got a brand new one.

The problem now is when I come to slow down the brake grinds and when I come to a complete stop it seizes up again. This mean when pulling off I have to give the car a lot more gas to get it going.

Once the car is rolling again it's fine until the next time I hit the brakes. What's the problem here guys?
Thanks given by:
Slides? We're they replaced too?
New pad fitting kit and new pads?
Defo sure it's not the osr calliper now?
Check your handbrakes not adjusted all the way in under the console between your seats!
Thanks given by:
(29-09-2015, 06:41 PM)Redordead89 Wrote: Slides? We're they replaced too?
Check your handbrakes not adjusted all the way in under the console between your seats!
[Image: 626cc19192094209b01367fb96b1e170.jpg]

Quickly took this pic of behind the wheel. looks like a bolt is missing. Could that be the issue?
Thanks given by:
(29-09-2015, 07:06 PM)Moh Wrote:
(29-09-2015, 06:41 PM)Redordead89 Wrote: Slides? We're they replaced too?
[Image: 626cc19192094209b01367fb96b1e170.jpg]

Quickly took this pic of behind the wheel. looks like a bolt is missing. Could that be the issue?

yup that'll be a fairly chronic issue, get that bolt replaced ASAP
Thanks given by:
Is that what's causing the problem. I will be going back tomorrow and having a word with the guy who done the work on the car.
Thanks given by:
Yup that's the issue, phone the guy and tell him to bring a bolt to you before you go driving on it and wrecking the calliper, pads and poss more!
The pads will likely be deeply scored from the edge of the disk so check the face before you fit the bolt!
And once hes fixed it get it double checked by anyone who knows what theyre doing and don't use him again!
You might want to tell him to replace both bolts as you may have bent the other one while breaking with the force of the piston! And check anything else he "fixed"
Thanks given by:
(29-09-2015, 07:22 PM)Redordead89 Wrote: Yup that's the issue, phone the guy and tell him to bring a bolt to you before you go driving on it and wrecking the calliper, pads and poss more!
The pads will likely be deeply scored from the edge of the disk so check the face before you fit the bolt!
And once hes fixed it get it double checked by anyone who knows what theyre doing and don't use him again!
You might want to tell him to replace both bolts as you may have bent the other one while breaking with the force of the piston! And check anything else he "fixed"
Nice one buddy. Won't be driving it anymore until it's sorted for the sake of mine and other road users safety more than the car.
Thanks given by:
FFS! Looking at the pic again, your handbrake cable is probs the only thing that stopped the calliper jamming on the inside of the wheel rim and ruining your day! Check the cable for wear damage on the wheel side too!
Thanks given by:
Looks like it's caused a nice score line around your rim as well...how did you not hear that!? lol
Thanks given by:
(29-09-2015, 07:33 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Looks like it's caused a nice score line around your rim as well...how did you not hear that!? lol
Well spotted Tom I missed that! Check the depth of that score cos its defo a weak spot now if it's deep!
New calliper outeredge will defo have a bit of damage!
Feel sh*te for you bud but if it was a garage tell them you want a new everything that's been damaged never mind the thought of a lock up at 60 on the motorway! :-(((((((
Thanks given by:
You want to fist them over that imo, that's ridiculous. If nothing else the mechanic should have noticed the issue on the test drive. Tbqh i'd be finding another garage once they've fixed it. There's only two bolts involved in the whole procedure, i really can't get my head around how they missed one. Is the other tight? I don't suppose they've stripped the threads in the hub and the bolt has fallen out as a result..?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I would imagine it either wasn't tight enough or wasn't thread locked... I really don't see anyone completely forgetting a bolt like that! Doh
Thanks given by:
(30-09-2015, 07:31 AM)Toms306 Wrote: I would imagine it either wasn't tight enough or wasn't thread locked... I really don't see anyone completely forgetting a bolt like that! Doh
To be fair tom, I drove the car back home with it being fine no issues. It was after a 80 mile round trip (motor way) that it messed up. Luckily just as I got of the motor way and literally around the corner from home. Don't want to imagine the wheel locking up at 70mph as I had kids in the car with me.
Thanks given by:
Holy f*ck that's a bad mechanic

Seriously, did he want to kill you

That top bolt looks loose as well
Thanks given by:
holly mowlly....!!!

get the copper brake pipe sorted as well, odd route and asking for problems...........god loves you dude!!
Thanks given by:
^Yup, that copper line is another accident waiting to happen. That is a right f*cking bodge job.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
So what happened then??
Thanks given by:
(01-10-2015, 10:41 PM)Redordead89 Wrote: So what happened then??
New caliper, new pagid brake pads and disk and I watched him do it all this time. All thanks to you guys I got an idea of what's going so thank you all very much Smile

Anyways all that's left to do is the brake pipe route as it was suggested by a few of yous. All in all I'm a lot happier than I was a few days ago
Thanks given by:
Xlnt bud, good to know the kids are safe in the car nevermind you out in it! ;-)
Yeehah go team 306oc!
Pug love bruv!

If you ever go to sell your car maybe you should give Ruan a shout for the plate!
Thanks given by:
This is one of the things that can happen when you place faith in any mechanic in any garage up and down the land,
If you have a problem with your 306 and can take a pic please do so and post them up for answers!

I know a lot of members on here know their car be it a 306 or not inside out and a few are well versed mechanics that really know their sh*t but a lot of people reading this thread dont know their brake system inside out and being 306 owners this sh*t can happen weekly as some of you will know daily for the unlucky lol!
If there's one area of a 306 to learn how to fix yourself the brakes have to be it!
Easy as long as you have basic tools and Torx bits and a 7mm Allan key, wire brush helps clean things up but watch your rubbers!
And if you do one side always do the other to balance it all up!
Thanks given by:
(02-10-2015, 12:23 AM)Redordead89 Wrote: This is one of the things that can happen when you place faith in any mechanic in any garage up and down the land,
If you have a problem with your 306 and can take a pic please do so and post them up for answers!

I know a lot of members on here know their car be it a 306 or not inside out and a few are well versed mechanics that really know their sh*t but a lot of people reading this thread dont know their brake system inside out and being 306 owners this sh*t can happen weekly as some of you will know daily for the unlucky lol!
If there's one area of a 306 to learn how to fix yourself the brakes have to be it!
Easy as long as you have basic tools and Torx bits and a 7mm Allan key, wire brush helps clean things up but watch your rubbers!
And if you do one side always do the other to balance it all up!

How VERY true!

Brakes are the life savers, you take those away and you're fooked Sad glad you inspected him doing the work the second time around, can't believe how lucky you were/are, that could have been a LOT worse. Jeez! Im sweating thinking of others who may have had work done by them Confused
[Image: 9fa12c59-0c3d-4413-968d-6a7840ff068f.jpg]
Stage 1 HDi DTurbo Diablo 5dr, "Dee-Dee"
Thanks given by: