box mount or not

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
box mount or not
Thumbs Up 
now i have the majority of pipework from the 2.1 sitting around to make the box mount work. the question is what do you guys think. stick it down the back or box mount the crap out of it?
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
hmmm, keep it down the back if you can for improved spools
Thanks given by:
1. For gearbox mount here lol or twin turbo g.b.m if u r up for it :-) love the look of gear box mount when it's done lol
Thanks given by:
depends on the turbo.. your GT20 i assume? its considerably larger than standard, take the time to persuade hte bulkhead/cross member subtly whilst the car is in bits, as if it rubs with the engine in (as mine almost does) there isnt much doing room there..

when i say my turbo is tight, i mean its TIGHT.
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Well its the gt20. I box mounted on the 2.1 because i didn't want to "adjust" the bulkhead.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
way adjust, a few gentle taps with a BFH with the engine in place on mine was enough, just..

if done with the engine out you could be a lot more.. considered, about how you do it.

mine also has modified gear linkages, and gear linkage mounting on the subframe as there wasnt room, and also reverse still *just* contacts the downpipe
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Yeah cba with that hassle. Rather just leave the gears alone as thats just another issue to overcome. Think ill defo have to box mount it. That way when i inevitably stick a bigger turbo on i wont have to do as much work.
Thanks given by:
Cant see that GT20 being too tricky to fit down the back tbh.
Its not THAT big really
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Tbh I was surprised how small it was, doesn't look that much bigger than a GT15 in all honesty. Would think it'd fit down the back alright but depends how big adapters etc have to be, I only have experience of swapping like for like.

As you say though, sticking it on the box could be easier...especially if you want to upgrade in future.
Thanks given by:
(29-09-2015, 10:50 AM)Piggy Wrote: Cant see that GT20 being too tricky to fit down the back tbh.
Its not THAT big really

no, neither is the RHF5,  but they are similar size, and its a HDi..

stick with your 2.1 and its overheating issues and talk less on matters you know not of..
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(29-09-2015, 11:34 AM)toseland Wrote:
(29-09-2015, 10:50 AM)Piggy Wrote: Cant see that GT20 being too tricky to fit down the back tbh.
Its not THAT big really

no, neither is the RHF5,  but they are similar size, and its a HDi..

stick with your 2.1 and its overheating issues and talk less on matters you know not of..

What overheating issues!?

Are you going to be helpful to bash or just be your usual self?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
As Toseland says, i think you'll struggle to get it down the back without a lot of ballache. Iirc Jonny had to modify the gear linkages on his estate when he put a gt20 on that, not to mention bulkhead, downpipe, inlet tract, etc, etc. Almost as much work as box-mounting and probably more of a pita.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
So ive decided not to put the gt20 on. Dun dun dun!!!

But fear not i have a cunning plan. Stage 2 is happening. For now. Measured bits up today and its not worth the hassle for the gt20 when i could do it with a better turbo. I need this car back on the road. Its my daily and atm im cycling everywhere.
Thanks given by: