Windows 10 & WiFi Help?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 10 & WiFi Help?
Just download the windows 8 iso from Microsoft media tool and bung it on a USB pendrive
Thanks given by:
http://wccftech.com/downgrade-windows-10-after-30-days/

not sure if this does work or not too be honest after reading the comments a clean install is probably the best if you have the windows 8 product key
Thanks given by:
It won't work now Vincent, have to change the folder names within the 30 days, they're gone now lol.

Don't even know if I have a product key tbh, the laptop came with it pre-installed.

I've checked the drivers for wifi and graphics card, are there any others that can slow it down?
Thanks given by:
(29-09-2015, 07:22 AM)Toms306 Wrote: It won't work now Vincent, have to change the folder names within the 30 days, they're gone now lol.

Don't even know if I have a product key tbh, the laptop came with it pre-installed.

I've checked the drivers for wifi and graphics card, are there any others that can slow it down?

tom man, i am going to drive all the way down to fix this thing, as i have told you what to do :p
Thanks given by:
No you told me to google what to do... I've already said the internet is barely working! lol
Thanks given by:
May i ask what Anti Virus you are using? MSE (microsoft security essentials), norton and 90% of the others are resource hungry. and a poor choice in my opinion.

Avast is a much lighter program, and free. (MSE was using 750mb where as avast is using 13mb and the service side is fluctuating from 20 - 30mb)
Press Ctrl, left shift, and Esc this will bring up your task manager.

how many processes have you got going? If you notice you have alot of apps running, or alot of background processes you can reduce this by investigating what is what, (right click and hit search online) this will tell you exactly what it is,
Once you know what is slowing your system down you can un-install the offending program if you like.

Another thingto do, is (With the task manager still open) press on the startup tab. This will tell you all the apps/programs that your computer starts up automatically.

The only ones you need, are your antivirus. anything else does not matter and will not effect the operation of your computer.

One item i do recommend to you all, if you are using avast. run what is called a boot time scan. (within the scan for virus tab, in the drop down menu)
This is an aggressive scan, and scans each file/folder on your hard disk at the best time. When it is not loaded... This will remove 100% of virus, and all known trojans to date.
I do this once a month, and run a normal scan every 2 days. (my computer stays on 24/7 as it is a high end gaming rig)

Do not use items like speed booster, or any other program you have to download to speed your computer up. It is simply masking the problem.
Also make sure your vents are clean and clear, heat is the enemy of computers. So ensure your laptop is not on your lap, but on a hard surface.

If non of the above help improve the speed of your computer/laptop then i will be surprised. Smile
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be!

Thanks given by:
can you change the channel your wireless on on via your router? a friend had a issue with there wireless being slow i changed the router channel and it was fast again just a thought.
Thanks given by:
(29-09-2015, 08:35 AM)insomaniac45 Wrote: May i ask what Anti Virus you are using? MSE (microsoft security essentials), norton and 90% of the others are resource hungry. and a poor choice in my opinion.

Avast is a much lighter program, and free. (MSE was using 750mb where as avast is using 13mb and the service side is fluctuating from 20 - 30mb)
Press Ctrl, left shift, and Esc this will bring up your task manager.

how many processes have you got going? If you notice you have alot of apps running, or alot of background processes you can reduce this by investigating what is what, (right click and hit search online) this will tell you exactly what it is,
Once you know what is slowing your system down you can un-install the offending program if you like.

Another thingto do, is (With the task manager still open) press on the startup tab. This will tell you all the apps/programs that your computer starts up automatically.

The only ones you need, are your antivirus. anything else does not matter and will not effect the operation of your computer.

One item i do recommend to you all, if you are using avast. run what is called a boot time scan. (within the scan for virus tab, in the drop down menu)
This is an aggressive scan, and scans each file/folder on your hard disk at the best time. When it is not loaded... This will remove 100% of virus, and all known trojans to date.
I do this once a month, and run a normal scan every 2 days. (my computer stays on 24/7 as it is a high end gaming rig)

Do not use items like speed booster, or any other program you have to download to speed your computer up. It is simply masking the problem.
Also make sure your vents are clean and clear, heat is the enemy of computers. So ensure your laptop is not on your lap, but on a hard surface.

If non of the above help improve the speed of your computer/laptop then i will be surprised. Smile

Thanks for the detailed reply! Smile

I'm using a free AVG anti-virus. Guess that's about as good as Avast? It's using 3MB of memory at idle if that's any help.

There do seem to be a lot of things open. 4 apps, 56 background processes, 27 windows processes. No idea if that's good or bad lol? I will have to investigate if any are unnecessary later as don't have time atm.

On start-up, there are a few things there. Last BIOS time was 3.3 seconds though, so it seems to be something slowing it after the initial start? There are only 3 things with 'high' startup impact, which is AVG, One-Drive and Open-Office.

Laptop heat can't really be helped unfortunately, it has the choice between my lap or the soft arm of the chair. I do make sure the vents aren't covered though. And it doesn't slow down in use so I don't think it's an overheating issue here.

(29-09-2015, 08:42 AM)vincent1 Wrote: can you change the channel your wireless on on via your router? a friend had a issue with there wireless being slow i changed the router channel and it was fast again just a thought.

I can't even see any buttons any the router lol. But I did have the same thought, wondered if something I or a neighbour has (block of flats) is interfering somehow. Confused It has direct line of sight to the router though, albeit through a hollow wooden door, makes no difference having the door open.
Thanks given by:
The router control will be through your browser, it'll be the gateway address in your network settings (often 192.168.0.1)
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
I literally have no idea what that means. Can I change the channel then?
Thanks given by:
As has been said, do a clean install from the rescue partition.

Another option is to dual boot it with a Linux alternative. I sacked off windows several years back now as I always have old hardware and all the constant MS updates just make any machine so slow and bloated I couldn't put up with it any more. Add that to all the onerous stuff they've bundled with Windows 10 and it's a no-brainer for me.
Thanks given by:
Please don't start confusing me with Linux stuff as well. lol
Thanks given by:
look into changing the channels on your router, google the router model number etc it will give you the gateway address to log into the router. Which broadband provider are you with?
Thanks given by:
AVG is crap. MSE is the best antivirus imo.
Thanks given by:
(29-09-2015, 01:01 PM)vincent1 Wrote: look into changing the channels on your router, google the router model number etc it will give you the gateway address to log into the router. Which broadband provider are you with?

I'm with Sky.

(29-09-2015, 02:29 PM)Eeyore Wrote: AVG is crap. MSE is the best antivirus imo.

Crap in what way? Using a lot of fuel or just crap at finding viruses?

Also another development to the issue - the WiFi printer is now extremely slow, taking minutes to print a single word doc in black and white.
Thanks given by:
yes my relative was with sky too can you run a speed test on your laptop and see what speed your getting
http://www.speedtest.net/
Thanks given by:
Yeah I've been using that for a while. Think I put it in the OP, I've been getting a steady 8MB download over the last 4 months, which won't sound much to those in London but it seemed fast enough for me.

But over the last week or so it's been more like 0.8MB! But I'm not sure it that's because of the actual internet, or the router, or the wireless card, or anything else lol. Here's this mornings result... Sad

[Image: 4705564833.png]

Also just had to laugh at this on the Sky website - This video will guide you through how to change your wireless channel to improve the speed of your wireless connection.

I don't have enough internet to watch the damn video! lmao
Thanks given by:
thats your issue then same as my relative had once i changed the channel it was back to about 7mb you need to see if you can find a guide for your router tom or ring sky helpline they will talk you through it but if your like me i hate talking on the phone i just find online guides and follow them.

http://help.sky.com/articles/speed-up-yo...ss-channel
Thanks given by:
See my above edit lol. lol
Thanks given by:
Neither can i lol my internet speeds up during the day (none peak times i guess) giffgaff sim.
Thanks given by:
MSE is crap Smile so is AVG, Avast is much more secure, Its not resource hungry,

I had a bad virus about a year ago now, that was trying to get my info online, it would open internet explorer in the background, and i could not shut them down.

MSE could not find anything, and i am always making sure all my anti virus is upto date.
I installed avast for the boot time scan, which is not available with MSE. Avast found the bugger, and destroyed it. Since then, our family computer was still on MSE. i realised this the other day when the kids were complaining it was slow. So i installed avast, and alone avast found 25 threats to the system.

Avast also scans for PuPs, Potentially unwanted programs. like add-ons that deal with advertising crud all over your web browsers, etc, etc.
So Avast is a great Free anti-virus and one of the Best imo.

To change the channel on your router. open a web page, and type in the address bar.

this should open the configure page for your router. Smile

If your Bt.
http://bthomehub.home/

I have 53 background apps, and thats alot imo. mine cover my tablets i have synced to my computer, my controllers, my steering wheel, mouse, keyboard programs, steam, etc etc. so i would strongly recommend going through the list and hit search online. This will tell you weather the app is safe, what it is used for, and if you can terminate it.

When you are doing nothing on your computer.
Open your task manager.

(ctrl, left shift, esc)

what is your CPU usage (percentage)?
What is your RAM usage (percentage)?
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be!

Thanks given by:
If you're only getting .6 down I'd say that explains it mate. You'd wanna be speaking to your ISP and seeing if there's an issue with the line.
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Changing the channel seems to have helped the internet for now -

[Image: 4705622504.png]

BUT resetting the router always did the same thing, so will have to wait until the next start to see if that's improved! Then I can work on the laptop performance issues.

There were 2 locally on channel 1 (mine and another) and 3 locally on 11 (they must have problems!?) so have set mine to 6.
Thanks given by:
You might be able to limit the wireless so it's only able to use 'N' instead of B/G/A/N etc.. Your laptop should be new enough to have N and should keep it at a much better constant speed.
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
if the router was set to automatic it just finds one on reset i set my relatives to manual etc so it stays there all the time. It has been ages since ive done it but they have had no issues, as i use there unlimited broadband alot to download anything i need untill i get a landline phone in my flat.
Thanks given by:
So, the internet seems to have been sorted. Thanks to Vincent and Insomniac and anyone else! Smile

Will look further into performance issues when I get a chance.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Acer e15 windows 8 laptop keeps losing Wifi Paul_13 8 2,450 21-12-2014, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Paul_13