possible hybrid turbos

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
possible hybrid turbos
Gt15 with a gt17 core and ko3 with a ko3s core from what I understand. Now don't get me wrong I really love my gt2052s I had on my 2.1 before the head decided it didn't like me anymore and I was planning to put it onto my hdi build for now. However as I have so much work on at this time I was thinking hybrid for now. Maybe. Don't worry I do have bigger and better plans for the future. So I'm asking if anyone has any experience with them. I have trawled the dw10 section over the past few days in the evenings and also used the search. Even messaged dum dum to tonight and got my first piece of solid info I got. Just want to know is it REALLY worth hybriding the turbo? Any info on what I might need?  I will be machining at home as well. Just for DIY attitude really.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
No.
Just bolt on the gt20
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Lol. Just lol. Bigger plans for future turbo. I was intrigued though. You can never know enough man. Even if I never do it.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
As above, just no.

May aswell use the GT20 as you have it, if you get bored then change it. Or buy a better turbo now....
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
Still doesn't stop me wanting to know. The likelihood will be the gt20 being bolted on down back. I just want to know what's involved whats possible. This is a whole new world to me the dw10 I'm like a child on crack whizzing through the vast amount of info. Smile
Thanks given by:
Bolt on the gt20 for now and save for a decent turbo ThumbsUp
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I have some interesting plans for this build piggy as you know man. The turbo at this time is at the back of my mind as what it will be at the end. Only time will tell. I'm assuming by the negativity of the comments that people don't like them. In my head they would surly cause more EMP. But I can see the draw.
Thanks given by:
Plus unless you get the housing machined pro style then you may aswell just guess if it will work
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Another no vote here. Might as well just run it with the standard blower if you don't have the time to fab up the gt20.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yeah, as much as it might sound like a good idea, it'll set you back a lot more than an upgrade to a gt20 or similar ever could. It's just not worth it unfortunately.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
For the work involved its a no from me too. Something similar has been done in the past, I think it involved a K04 into the original housing but can't really remember.
Thanks given by:
Iirc it's been done with a gt17, gt1549 and a k03s. The thing is the turbine housing is just as much as a restriction as the compressor and building a hybrid leaves that restrictive hot side in place, recipe for guaranteed head damage imo.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I've mapped a few with hybrid turbos and when I come to map it it just performs pretty much the same as a normal car. The only good hybrid I mapped was Ian's with the k03S, but the GT15 GT17 mix is a waste of money. I'm not sure if Ian changed the whole turbo or hybridised it though...
HDI Tuning Ltd
www.hdi-tuning.co.uk
Thanks given by:
How hard would it be to put a vnt turbo on and get that mapped in and setup?
Thanks given by:
From what i understand the mapping is there in the ecu just needs calibrating so to speak. I think. So no need for independent setup mapper can do it. As for bolting one on. Same as any turbo. Adaptor plates or relocation Mani depending upon size.
Thanks given by:
As above. Bear in mind putting it down the back will involve almost as much work as relocating, chances are you'll need an adaptor plate, new downpipe, inlet tract and probably gear linkages.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
No it's not there in the ECU, would need the car for a little while to manually calibrate the maps needed to control the turbo vanes. It's very complicated, but I can do it.
HDI Tuning Ltd
www.hdi-tuning.co.uk
Thanks given by:
I also don't like hybrid turbo. A friend tried one on dw10 and the result was not very good. Gt1852v was a great turbo on both 8v and 16v dw10. But my new gtb2060vklr seems much better
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hybrid turbos Icywalts 11 2,138 25-08-2013, 09:36 AM
Last Post: Piggy