Changing steering coloum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing steering coloum
Rainbow 
The steering wheel has a squeak bearing as there no metal contacts the the horn. 

It's coming from that area so will multi purpose grease work fine?

Also can you get new steering bearing also how to remove?

Thanks
Thanks given by:
Huh
Thanks given by:
how's life in Wrexham dude.......wet and miserable like here today?

not sure how to do it but maybe someone could post an exploded view form the parts section from pug uk.

there may be a "plastic bush" bearing at the top of the columb but an exploded view would confirm.

could be the indicator cancel mechanism?? that's making the noise, also there is a "wound hair spring" contactor for the s/wheel air bag in there somewhere and care must be taken when removing the steering wheel.

I'm still a tyro on these cars but scrolling about in similar threads will help you......
Thanks given by:
(14-09-2015, 09:59 AM)pug306driver Wrote: how's life in Wrexham dude.......wet and miserable like here today?

not sure how to do it but maybe someone could post an exploded view form the parts section from pug uk.

there may be a "plastic bush" bearing at the top of the columb but an exploded view would confirm.

could be the indicator cancel mechanism?? that's making the noise, also there is a "wound hair spring" contactor for the s/wheel air bag in there somewhere and care must be taken when removing the steering wheel.

I'm still a tyro on these cars but scrolling about in similar threads will help you......

Hello the weather changed rain winter on the way.

I have put some grease in to the bearing and the noise has stopped so far. So maybe lucky I got it in time when it just started to dry out.

I could see the old grease so the new grease is doing the job at the moment. But if left longer it would of warn the bearing out for sure.

I see how it goes now for the next few days and weeks then I know if it needs changing or not. But hopefully it be ok now.
Thanks given by:
The noise has come back and it's coming from the steering colum bearing area.

So can these bearings be bought new or second hand otherwise?

Do we have an idea how many bearing there are near the top area?

I can see the bearing so it should be easy enough to remove and re fit?

Thanks

Looking at the steering column it looks better to change the hole unit.

There any guides with pictures?

Thanks
Thanks given by:
if you can get the size of the bearing, and type, you can get it dirt cheap off simply bearings.co.uk

you will need the mpn (if SKF will be like 2052 or others like 115112) tyoe that code into simply bearings, and viola Smile your bearing at pretty much cost price.
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be!

Thanks given by:
Where's someone with service box when you need them?
Thanks given by:
Access to servicebox is free, you can set up your own account with some bs company details. Smile I'd go with insomniac's suggestion though, much cheaper and probably quicker too.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
a proper bearing or simply a white plastic "nylon" bush?? for the steering columb, but a UJ from the columb to the rack I suspect??
Thanks given by:
The problem fixed in the end with good old WD40 spraying in to the coloum area. The noise has been gone 6 months all happy.
Thanks given by:
result, good info for others.
Thanks given by:
loosely related,
is it possible to move the column closer (about 2") to the driver for more comfort?
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Changing rear beam/ Steering wheel problem E_KEL95 3 1,297 13-11-2014, 09:18 AM
Last Post: Toms306