Jonny's BMW project..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jonny's BMW project..
So the other week I got one of my dream vehicles. I've wanted one of these since I saw them on the mountain passes of the Alps as a child, so when the opportunity to own one for next to nothing came up, I had to go for it. 

[Image: IMG-20150816-WA0011_zps0w7gknzg.jpg]

It's a 2002 BMW R1150GS, and it's brilliant Big Grin

There's a fair few issues I needed to address, the first being the fact that I barely fit on it, it's a big bike. I looked at the options of lowering it a bit, then decided to get stuck in modifying the seat. I pulled the cover off, and trimmed about 2" of foam off the top, refitted the cover and tried it on. Whilst it's not as low as I'd like, it's as low as it's going to get without suspension mods, and for now I'm happy. I'll be on the lookout for some thick soled boots to make life a bit easier.

Next on the list was a fairly big oil leak that sprayed all over your legs when riding. New oil lines and a seal kit should fix this, nice and easy. ThumbsUp

Since I won't be able to ride this until I can do my direct access licence once I'm 24 in November, I've decided a bit of light restoration is in order while I'm fixing the problems. The pannier rack was very rusty, so I undid 4 bolts, and snapped or drilled the rest. Fortunately, nothing that bolts into the frame broke so I'll probably replace the platform the rack bolts to. There's corrosion all over the engine, which has been painted over so I'll need to get the wire brush out and hit it with the silver hammerite to stop it getting worse. The frame, while solid, is also going to get a similar treatment but I'm only doing the accessible bits for now, it's not bad enough to warrant taking the whole bike apart.

[Image: DSC_0192_zpsippzhzwe.jpg]
[Image: DSC_0196_zps4vdgfzm9.jpg]

The fuel tank isn't in the best condition, it's been patched up several times over the years and now has a dent in it after I managed to drop the bike playing with the seat. Nospeak Not best pleased, but I figure it's inevitable and there's worse places to drop it than the back garden. lol I'm a bit unsure what to do with the leaks, it's currently holding fuel so I might leave it and carry some tank repair in case.  

[Image: DSC_0197_zpsmgi2myvi.jpg]

The front struts have been leaking quite badly so I've got a seal kit for those, hopefully they won't need a full rebuild as I suspect it's just the top seal gone. The other problem on the front is the aluminium hub has worn down so the discs are sitting very close to the caliper on the inner edge. I'm going to look into spacing the disk back out with some shims against the hub. As it's got floating disks I can't see any issue with spacing them out a bit but I'm unsure yet as to whether I'll just go for a replacement hub. 

That's all for now folks, I'll no doubt find more issues as I go but for now I just want to get it roadworthy!
Thanks given by:
YOU JAMMY f*cking BASTARD!!!!!!!! I've been looking at those for a while for when I pass my full bike test.
The 1100s are huge money compared to the 650s although you might of touched the floor on the 650.

How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks given by:
(07-09-2015, 09:14 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: YOU JAMMY f*cking BASTARD!!!!!!!! I've been looking at those for a while for when I pass my full bike test.
The 1100s are huge money compared to the 650s although you might of touched the floor on the 650.

How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

I've had my eye on it for a while, it'd been sat untouched in my girlfriend's Dad's garage.. £400 was the agreed price, as long as he's allowed to use it whenever he wants which will be occasionally at most.
Thanks given by:
JAMMY FUCKER!!!!!
£400 is about a tenth of what it''s worth
Thanks given by:
(08-09-2015, 07:57 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: JAMMY FUCKER!!!!!
£400 is about a tenth of what it''s worth

Is it f*ck. Its on 104k and it needs work. It's worth a grand, 1500 to the right buyer.
Thanks given by:
I hadn't seen any at less than £4k when I last looked.

If they can be had for £1000-£1500 I'm getting one of these as soon as I pass my full test.
Thanks given by:
(08-09-2015, 04:09 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I hadn't seen any at less than £4k when I last looked.

If they can be had for £1000-£1500 I'm getting one of these as soon as I pass my full test.

or you could just both swap bikes and it would look sensible for both of you?
Thanks given by:
I am liking this jonny!
Thanks given by:
(08-09-2015, 04:21 PM)Eeyore Wrote:
(08-09-2015, 04:09 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I hadn't seen any at less than £4k when I last looked.

or you could just both swap bikes and it would look sensible for both of you?

For a good example, 3-4k is about right but if you're prepared to wait for one needing some love, you'll get them much cheaper.

No chance sam. If I want a 125 I'll use the scooter that's sitting in the garden next to it lol
Thanks given by:
found some boots!
Smile

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Lol you look f*cking tiny on that mate, hope you don't find anything major during the resto project being bmw it'll be covered in rust Wink
Thanks given by:
Bit of an update on this.. I've moved it to my work as I just wasn't finding the time/motivation to take all my tools to the garden in the dark or rain. I haven't actually got anything done yet other than riding it about the carpark. It's not as bad as I thought and once going it's very easy to ride, my only major problem is going backwards as I can't get enough grip to push it so I have to get off lol

Currently making a pile of bits to take into work next week so I can make a start on putting it back together!
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by: